Which martial art is this?

Kindbutnotasucker

White Belt
Reaction score
(Apologies - you must get sick of this question!)

I have in mind my ideal martial art, and wonder if someone could say which martial art describes this best.

It is totally reactive.

It evades the punch or grab, upsets the attacker's balance or at least moves into a position in which the attacker is vulnerable, and gives 1 or 2 debilitating strikes. “Evade, stun, run” might be the motto.

It believes the key to effective fighting is footwork and balance.

Apart from the strikes, it has very soft and graceful movements.

It may involve swaying the upper torso like a boxer to avoid punches.

It encourages self-discipline and many traditional Eastern martial values, but always aims to be practical.

It does not involve grappling because the aim is to strike quickly and run away, not to enjoy fighting.

Altho in training the movements look very graceful, it is lightning fast in the combat situation.

Does that ring a bell?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're thinking (combat) tai chi, possibly baguazhang. If you were to include grappling (in an art that does not "enjoy" fighting), it could be (likely tomiki) aikido as well.

For all 3, itll be tough if you're looking around for a place to train to find somewhere that teaches them effectively

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also the more effective it is, the less graceful it will probably look to the untrained eye. Hopefully as you become more skilled, the 'graceful' stuff will start to look ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 39746

Honestly the question comes to find from that motto: what if you cant evade, didn't stun and cant run?

outside of the scope of the thread but it needed to be asked. :p

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it could be either of two.

Might be Ameri-Do-Te

Ken.jpeg

Might be Sinanju.

Sinanju.jpg

Either way, welcome to Martial Talk, bro. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like the berserker fighting arts of the Vikings. I wonder if that website is still up?

Or it could be Laap Goch, I think it’s Welsh.

Edit: I couldn’t find the website. I miss Grandmaster Sven S. Svensson.

Hail Thor!!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

I have in mind my ideal martial art, and wonder if someone could say which martial art describes this best.

It is totally reactive.
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali is a Counter-Attack system
It evades the punch or grab, upsets the attacker's balance or at least moves into a position in which the attacker is vulnerable, and gives 1 or 2 debilitating strikes. “Evade, stun, run” might be the motto.
Pekiti_Tirsia Kali has a strong "Evade, Stun, Create Distance" component.
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali...footwork, footwork, footwork
Soft & Graceful movements; Pekiti-Tirsia Kali not so much. Smooth and Constant is more like it.
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali uses a 'wave in / wave out component for baiting and slipping in and out of range along with footwork.
It encourages self-discipline and many traditional Eastern martial values, but always aims to be practical.
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali not so much however in order to become effective it take discipline to put in the time and reps.
It does not involve grappling because the aim is to strike quickly and run away, not to enjoy fighting.
Pekiti-Tirsia has takedowns and ground controls but not so much Ground fighting. It is a close quarter system but the main strategies are about versus multiple opponents so getting caught up in a grapple puts one at a disadvantage so you never what to spend much time getting hung up with one opponent. Dispatch and move.
Altho in training the movements look very graceful, it is lightning fast in the combat situation.

Does that ring a bell?
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali[/QUOTE]

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali is a Counter-Attack system

Pekiti_Tirsia Kali has a strong "Evade, Stun, Create Distance" component.

Pekiti-Tirsia Kali...footwork, footwork, footwork

Soft & Graceful movements; Pekiti-Tirsia Kali not so much. Smooth and Constant is more like it.

Pekiti-Tirsia Kali uses a 'wave in / wave out component for baiting and slipping in and out of range along with footwork.

Pekiti-Tirsia Kali not so much however in order to become effective it take discipline to put in the time and reps.

Pekiti-Tirsia has takedowns and ground controls but not so much Ground fighting. It is a close quarter system but the main strategies are about versus multiple opponents so getting caught up in a grapple puts one at a disadvantage so you never what to spend much time getting hung up with one opponent. Dispatch and move.

Pekiti-Tirsia Kali
[/QUOTE]
:banghead::banghead::banghead: i didnt think to include the system im currently training in

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sumito... yet another fictional choice.

Silat has many of those principles, if you look around for the right teacher. Bagua or effective tai chi, too... So does Aikido. Or many other systems if you choose to practice them that way. You might consider thinking about any martial art as a tool box; with the same basic set of automechanic's tools, for example, you can work on anything from the most utilitarian dump truck to the highest end custom made Rolls Royce, and everything in between. You can work on a high performance race car, or a daily driver, or school bus. Of course, there are some specialized tools for different jobs -- but they really are all just tools, no? Or a cabinet maker, finish carpenter, and rough-in carpenter all use many of the same tools, but each does different jobs.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

It is totally reactive.

Does that ring a bell?

Maybe segals movie aikido, or some other sort of hollywood-fu. Real martial arts don't give you magic powers.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Real martial arts don't give you magic powers.

No, they don't.

Uhhhh.

But wait.....uhhh....actually, well, yeah, okay, yes....they do. Sheet, God damn F it all, they actually fricken' do! FuuuuuuuuuuuuuQ!

OP
K

Kindbutnotasucker

White Belt
Reaction score
A big thank-you to all the wonderful posters! And an especial thanks to those who actually tried to be helpful.

Yin Style Bagua absolutely nails it.

Lapp Goch a close second. ;)

And rest assured that I am definitely NOT one of those dreamers lost in some silly, narcissistic vision of Hollywood's idea of a "solve all your problems” magical martial art. That comes after my first session!~:)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A big thank-you to all the wonderful posters! And an especial thanks to those who actually tried to be helpful.

Yin Style Bagua absolutely nails it.

Lapp Goch a close second. ;)

And rest assured that I am definitely NOT one of those dreamers lost in some silly, narcissistic vision of Hollywood's idea of a "solve all your problems” magical martial art. That comes after my first session!~:)
Good luck finding something near you!

Latest Discussions