Which martial art do you think is best for overall physical conditioning/fitness?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Could the same thing be said of kung fu, particularly the nothern styles?
If we talk about "weight training", the northern style such as long fist system does not involve much with weight training. I can still remember that my body shape changed big time from skinny to muscular since I switched from long fist to Chinese wrestling.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since when do you have to be some sort of expert to know that some MA are less aerobic than others?
The long fist system is much more aerobic than prey mantis, Baji, WC, ...

This long fist form requires 1/2 of the basket ball field to train.

The WC system only requires a telephone booth space to train.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've done a bit of research about this online and people tend to stay that it's boxing, MMA, and muay thai (and if these three are the ones then I presume kickboxing can be added too, right?). Do you agree? If yes, what are the different strengths of the three when it comes to this?

Here are some things that I've been told:

-boxing and MMA are the best for agility because they involve A LOT more footwork than the other two
-muay thai is the best to the extent that it's even more high intensity than the others
-physical conditioning actually plays the highest role in MMA training

Cardio Kickboxing.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Short answer? The martial arts class you'll go to regularly and keep going to for the long term.

Long answer? I agree with most everyone else that it depends a lot more on the class structure and instructor than the art. Sure, I won't ague that you are probably less likely to get a super intense workout in a lot of Aikido schools than at mma schools that are focused on producing pro fighters, but I did a Muay Thai class for a while a few years back that was strictly technical and a minimal workout - the instructor didn't have much time and insisted that we get our cardio and strength training in elsewhere.

If you want to be really fit your most efficient results are going to be through a good progressive weight training program combined with conditioning exercises focused around what kind of activities you're interested in doing. If you want to do 3 minute rounds with a 1 minute rest you need to train completely differently than if you want to run marathons. What are your goals?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could the same thing be said of kung fu, particularly the nothern styles?
Perhaps it can be said about just about any system, depending on how intensely one chooses to train.

What I can say is, when I was training capoeira, I was in the best physical shape of my life.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Any style can be taught in a way that emphasizes/requires fitness, or not. I've seen very fit & very out-of-shape practitioners of many different styles. Sometimes in the same class - because a lot of being "in shape" has to do with what you put on your plate, which no style of martial art will change, as well as what other exercise you do.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Chinese wrestling uses more weight equipment training than any MA system. The wrestling sport is using your muscle to deal with your opponent's body weight.

For pure strength it would be hard to argue with you. But for overall fitness, including stretch, cardio, endurance, etc... I would not put it on the list.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For pure strength it would be hard to argue with you. But for overall fitness, including stretch, cardio, endurance, etc... I would not put it on the list.
Overall fitness (functional strength):

Stretch:

sc_leg_lift.jpg

Last edited:

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I haven't read all of the replies yet, so I apologize if I am repeating something that's already been said. BJJ has, by far, been the most tiring for me to train in. Best overall for conditioning? I don't know. But five minutes of grappling will get a person gassed. Kickboxing training is also very effective for conditioning.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrestling is easily the most physically demanding thing I’ve ever done on a day in and day out basis.

I don’t have any judo nor BJJ experience, but they seem quite similar in physical demands. I’d guess that competitors in those would be more physically fit than non-competitors, but the nature of the art itself is pretty demanding whether you’re competing or not.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't read all of the replies yet, so I apologize if I am repeating something that's already been said. BJJ has, by far, been the most tiring for me to train in. Best overall for conditioning? I don't know. But five minutes of grappling will get a person gassed. Kickboxing training is also very effective for conditioning.
I competed in high school and collegiate wrestling and I often said it was the toughest 6-7 minutes a person can ever do. You are in a strain most of the time.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I competed in high school and collegiate wrestling and I often said it was the toughest 6-7 minutes a person can ever do. You are in a strain most of the time.
I was always so much more tired after a 6 minute match than a 90 minute soccer game. Not even close.

Unless of course I got a quick and easy pin.

gucia6

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've done a bit of research about this online and people tend to stay that it's boxing, MMA, and muay thai (and if these three are the ones then I presume kickboxing can be added too, right?). Do you agree? If yes, what are the different strengths of the three when it comes to this?

Here are some things that I've been told:

-boxing and MMA are the best for agility because they involve A LOT more footwork than the other two
-muay thai is the best to the extent that it's even more high intensity than the others
-physical conditioning actually plays the highest role in MMA training
there is no straight answer to this question and all depends on what you like

I attend 2 karate schools an my main one (karate mixed with jujitsu), where we train only with adults is pretty demanding, almost every time I sweat buckets and am quite huffed, usually end up with some sore muscles day after. In the beginning it was so hard on me, that I experienced some nauseousness after training.
On the other hand the other school I go, to assist my kids, even thou we train/exercise in appropriate age groups (kids and adults separately) I find those classes pretty easy and slow, sometimes to the point of not being warmed up at the end of class.

So it depends a lot on the instructor and maybe the program.

They're all good. That's why you never see any out of shape black belts in Martial Arts.
I have seen 2... at least from outside pretty overweight... but still I would not dare to go against any of them... yet ;)

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Best martial arts that are best for overall physical conditioning/fitness are:-
  • Muay Thai. Muay Thai, also known as Thai Boxing, is a combat system developed in Thailand most notable for its heavy emphasis on stand-up strikes as well as clinching.
  • Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
  • Wrestling.
  • Tai Chi.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Best martial arts that are best for overall physical conditioning/fitness are:-
  • Muay Thai. Muay Thai, also known as Thai Boxing, is a combat system developed in Thailand most notable for its heavy emphasis on stand-up strikes as well as clinching.
  • Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
  • Wrestling.
  • Tai Chi.
Great list for "overall" fitness if you practiced all of them since they each have merit is different ways.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have seen 2... at least from outside pretty overweight... but still I would not dare to go against any of them... yet ;)

You’ve seen both of them? That’s like seeing Andy Kaufman AND Tony Clifton at the same time. ;)

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MMA.

There are good reasons why you usually only see young, tougher dudes in their 20's and in good shape training in MMA class.

Latest Discussions