Which is better for stand up Bjj? Wrestling or Judo?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you would have asked me a few years ago, I would have said Judo. However, the more no-gi I do, the more I appreciate the smoothness of wrestling.

I've been checking out this guy;

Love his takedowns, and his instruction has really helped my stand up game. However, I still like to check out Judo as well, because of the transitions to locks is a bit smoother;

What do you think? Wrestling or Judo for Bjj standup?

Maybe the answer is both? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends what you want to do with it. For mma wrestling is generally better.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll say it, BJJ is better for stand up BJJ.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends what you want to do with it. For mma wrestling is generally better.

I could see self defense applications for wrestling as well. Wrestling takedowns tend to be more gentle than Judo takedowns/throws, so if you weren't looking to spill some guy's brains on the concrete, you'd probably prefer a wrestling takedown over a Judo throw.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I could see self defense applications for wrestling as well. Wrestling takedowns tend to be more gentle than Judo takedowns/throws, so if you weren't looking to spill some guy's brains on the concrete, you'd probably prefer a wrestling takedown over a Judo throw.

You must be referring to folkstyle (college) wrestling. In this style of wrestling, you have to control the opponent's fall until your knee touches the mat. You're not allowed to slam or dump your opponent. Check out some of the throws in freestyle and Greco-Roman (Olympic wrestling). There's no provision for protecting your opponent there. Some freestyle/GR throws I wouldn't do in a SD situation, like a German suplex for example, because you're supposed to finish the move by bridging on your head after the throw. However, a high-crotch to double leg (my favorite takedown) could cause some damage, as well as a fireman's carry, if the opponent doesn't know to tuck his chin or how to roll with it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It will depend on how closely you feel the principles and techniques of mma apply to self defence. For me I think they are pretty close. I wouldn't do knee drops though.

Otherwise wrestling works well to counter striking there are other elements like limited turning your back. Head wrestling. Limb control like arm drags that are useful for SD. In specific circumstances.

I do a lot of my restraint and control with wrestling set ups. And so that incorporates into weapon defence. As they overlap in concept.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DI9OmQtfUPU
Otherwise you could get spiked or suplexed on concrete and it would end badly.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You must be referring to folkstyle (college) wrestling. In this style of wrestling, you have to control the opponent's fall until your knee touches the mat. You're not allowed to slam or dump your opponent. Check out some of the throws in freestyle and Greco-Roman (Olympic wrestling). There's no provision for protecting your opponent there. Some freestyle/GR throws I wouldn't do in a SD situation, like a German suplex for example, because you're supposed to finish the move by bridging on your head after the throw. However, a high-crotch to double leg (my favorite takedown) could cause some damage, as well as a fireman's carry, if the opponent doesn't know to tuck his chin or how to roll with it.

You can do a crappy German suplex though that just dumps them on their front.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cOUMfiD-jbw&has_verified=1&layout=tablet&client=mv-google

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Either would be great, and in a perfect world both.

I'm thinking that from a self defense standpoint maybe judo. I'm picturing standing casually, might be easier to start a judo throw than a wrestling take down. Might be harder for the opponent to see coming. Also, more opportunities in judo throws for him to end up down and you to end up standing - if that's a consideration. Also, with the judo throws you might be in control of one of his arms when he goes down, that might fit more with the BJJ. I'm also thinking that if opponents tend to be taller than you, judo throws might be the way to go.

Then there's the training. I know there isn't such thing as easy, lazy training, but wrestling training doesn't leave much in the gas tank for anything else. I'm trying to picture going to a wrestling workout in the afternoon.....and doing any damn thing later that night.

But all of that is just thinking. Can't really go wrong with either.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Both are really good.

Unfortunately, my judo is pretty weak and my wrestling sucks. I've started studying some sombo recently and it's been helpful for filling in some of the gaps in my takedown game.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Both are really good.

Unfortunately, my judo is pretty weak and my wrestling sucks. I've started studying some sombo recently and it's been helpful for filling in some of the gaps in my takedown game.

What's some characteristics of their takedowns Tony? Out of the grappling arts, that one is the one I'm least familiar with.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try Omdowl Kernewek (Cornish wrestling) still very much alive and being competed in. I've seen some of the competitions and I know one MMA fighter who also competes. It's one of several traditional styles we have in the UK.

Cornish Wrestling Demo - YouTube

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What's some characteristics of their takedowns Tony? Out of the grappling arts, that one is the one I'm least familiar with.

I'm only about a month or so into sombo lessons, so I'm certainly not any sort of expert yet. It seems to blend aspects of judo and wrestling, with an emphasis on dominant over-the-back grips.

My big weakness in the takedown game is chaining moves together. I can demonstrate individual throws well enough, but combinations are what make a good judoka or wrestler. The benefit I've gotten so far from sombo is that some of the reference points help connect some of the individual moves I know already so that I'm able to chain techniques together better. (That's not to say that sombo is any better at combinations than judo or wrestling - it's just that the moves I've learned so far just happen to fit conveniently in place with what I already know.)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Russian martial art is called Sambo, due to political correctness one letter was changed to make it 'acceptable'. However if you Google Sambo you will find the good videos. It's quite a popular style here with a few places teaching it now.

http://sambo.com/

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Err... I think I'll pass. :p

LOl, the demo is gentle, it's actually quite brutal, no mats in comps just the ground and grass. there's plenty of support for this and our other regional styles which is good. Cornish wrestlers often compete against Bretons as the language is the much the same as is the wrestling. The Celtic Games are something to watch as well. It's something to think about when people say we don't have any home ground martial arts!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sumo is actually the one grappling art that has fared really poorly in the cage. Just about every sumotori that has fought MMA has been beaten by much smaller opponents. Machida has a sumo background which probably helps his takedown defense, but it's a secondary art for him.

That said, I'd love to see Takanoyama fight in MMA.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sumo is actually the one grappling art that has fared really poorly in the cage. Just about every sumotori that has fought MMA has been beaten by much smaller opponents. Machida has a sumo background which probably helps his takedown defense, but it's a secondary art for him.

They probably get paid more doing sumo.

Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score

It wasn't a totally serious response. Although I do think there are several current sumo that would totally wreck someone in a self defense situation, but as you said no serious sumo has gone into mixed fighting with any success. But I think on the flip side, none of them have taken it seriously either. I think Akebono was just in it for the payday and Teila Tuli fought with no understanding of any other art or what was out there.

There are a lot of unique and useful throws in Sumo and Sumo all have a great sense of balance and sensitivity to the balance of the opponent. Great attributes to a grappler.

Latest Discussions