Which came first?

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
An article about WC butterfly swords per my lineage's history.
Article #6

Article in video form with some accompanying pics of what the article is referring to:

I've read some of that somewhere before.

I think the main problem with it is that the 4 types of blades mentioned do not tally with photos of actual dao available. What then is it talking about?

It also makes the shaolin connection which to me is always a bit of a red flag, given that most of these stories were made uip in HK in the 20th C. because that is what the punters wanted to hear.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IIt also makes the shaolin connection which to me is always a bit of a red flag, given that most of these stories were made uip in HK in the 20th C. because that is what the punters wanted to hear.

Gawl Dang I sure learn a lot here! "Punter" ...just found out that's like a customer. And I thought it was a way to send the pigskin down field.
BTW I heard that the "shaolin" story went back a bit further as a recruitment tool during the period of the uprisings. But that too could be a fabrication.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keith, your continued attachment to my lineage is boring now. If you aren't trying to start a fight, you surely aren't doing a good job by repeating the same thing post after post (3 in a row now). Now you're tolling
Drop it and stick to the topic.

Uh, excuse me JP. But if you were paying attention I already dropped it and moved on to the topic. ;-) In post #37...in case you missed it.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've read some of that somewhere before.

I think the main problem with it is that the 4 types of blades mentioned do not tally with photos of actual dao available. What then is it talking about?

It also makes the shaolin connection which to me is always a bit of a red flag, given that most of these stories were made uip in HK in the 20th C. because that is what the punters wanted to hear.

So as not to repeat myself again....guy, refer to my prior posts in this thread. ;-)

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So as not to repeat myself again....guy, refer to my prior posts in this thread. ;-)

I did read your posts but I have never heard of Garrett Gee or HFY wing chun. Would prefer to give JP the chance to explain rather than assume.

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Guy, I'm not 100% sure what you are asking.
But, not having written the article, I don't have all of the research data it was based on, nor do I fully know the sources. I will ask my first Sifu who wrote the article next time I see him.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sifu Dan Knight says...
Ip man only taught this form to seven disciples.
It was the final form.
Tradition says he got from Leung Bik. Leung Jan's son.
We know double swords existed in 1820s.

But the type of double sword used in the WC form was a later design. Stabing isnt done until the second section of the form...

So unless the sword form were overhauled and reshuffled after the 1910 syle wc blade shows up... then the case solidly is against the wc swords preceding the Little Idea, seeking/sinking bridges, and Biu Jee forms.

the-evolution-of-wing-chun-knives.jpg

Axes/hatches will sub just fine in the form.

Last edited:
OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sifu Dan Knight says...
Ip man only taught this form to seven disciples.
It was the final form.
Tradition says he got from Leung Bik. Leung Jan's son.
We know double swords existed in 1820s.

But the type of double sword used in the WC form was a later design. Stabing isnt done until the second section of the form...

So unless the sword form were overhauled and reshuffled after the 1910 syle wc blade shows up... then the case solidly is against the wc swords preceding the Little Idea, seeking/sinking bridges, and Biu Jee forms.

View attachment 19587

Axes/hatches will sub just fine in the form.

Very interesting! Thanks TSDTexan!
I do not know who Sifu Dan Knight is? Is he your Sifu? Do you know who taught him?
I've only heard Yip Man taught five disciples, not seven. Wonder who they are?
Thanks.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do not know who Sifu Dan Knight is? Is he your Sifu? Do you know who taught him?
Thanks.
No he is not my sifu.
I could be wrong but I think he is under Samuel Kwok.
Update:
Some phone calls got me the following.
Sifu Dan has no wing chun training outside of being a disciple of Sifu Samuel.
In June 2007, Dan achieved his full instructors' certificate from Samuel Kwok and was given the Chinese name Kwok Chung Yuang 郭忠勇.
2015-10-15_072610.jpg

Last edited:

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks.
well some more digging got his email address, from his website:
[email protected]
I suppose you could ask him who the 7 disciples were.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I suppose you could ask him who the 7 disciples were.

That wouldn't answer anything. Since GM Yip Man passed on without publicly recording any such information regarding successors or who he considered the inheritors of his system, there will continue to be disputes among the many branches descending from his students. What really matters is quality, not certificates. Although...certificates are nice too.

I have some nice certificates. I feel about them the same way I feel about the twenty dollar bill on my desk ...the counterfeit twenty someone stuck me with last week. I can't use it for anything, but it cost me ...and it looks too much like money to throw away!

Latest Discussions