Where's the weed come from?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is a possible use for the additional revenues generated, but I'm against additional government subsidies to private industries. If they can't compete on their own, I don't see a reason to keep bailing them out.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
somebody asked earlier..what restrictions would be placed on personal production...are you going to continue modeling this after alcohol and let a certain, small amount be grown at home for personal use...ala homebrewed beer?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
somebody asked earlier..what restrictions would be placed on personal production...are you going to continue modeling this after alcohol and let a certain, small amount be grown at home for personal use...ala homebrewed beer?
That is my idea, yes. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
That is a possible use for the additional revenues generated, but I'm against additional government subsidies to private industries. If they can't compete on their own, I don't see a reason to keep bailing them out.
That's the problem with voters, they don't want to pay for anything, but public transportation is a must. It just that it ain't gonna happen until it's forced down "our" throats by some cataclysmic event.
Sean

B

bassplayer

I think that's a damn good idea ;) IMHO, its safer than alchol!
As far as the revenues...LMAO, how's weed for education sound?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Regarding public transportation, I'm all for it, however it is not the responsiblity of the Federal Government to provide for that. Local governments can raise private capital to fund it, and provide a ROI similarly to that found in my new schools proposal.

My stance on Education is that it is not the responsibility of the Federal Government to provide for education, however, the current situation is one where school systems are totally dependant on governmental monies to exist. It will take some time to reverse that trend and convert them over to public investment. Some of the money earned through the newly legalized 'weed' will be funneled towards that goal, however I see the bulk of it going towards health care.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I make my own wine at home and give some of it away since I do not have a license to sell it.

How do you intend on enforcing the limiting of the quantity of how much marijuana is grown for home use and what would the penalty be for those growing too much?

T

TonyM.

I think research will show people that grow too much weed should be locked away in a Little Debbie truck for an hour or so.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I make my own wine at home and give some of it away since I do not have a license to sell it.

How do you intend on enforcing the limiting of the quantity of how much marijuana is grown for home use and what would the penalty be for those growing too much?
I would look at the laws concerning homebrewing, and use them as a guide, while hopefully plugging and problems in the existing system.

P

PeachMonkey

Kaith Rustaz said:
...provide a ROI similarly to that found in my new schools proposal.
How do you define "ROI" for public programs? Wouldn't reduced pollution and improved abilities for everyone to get where they need to go count as "returns on investment"?

Kaith Rustaz said:
It will take some time to reverse that trend and convert them over to public investment.
How does "government funding" differ from "public investment"?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
How do you define "ROI" for public programs? Wouldn't reduced pollution and improved abilities for everyone to get where they need to go count as "returns on investment"?
That is part of it.
ROI in this case would be shared by both the private and public sectors.
The public would gain an increase in available mobility, as well as the enviromental improvements.
The private sector who funded the initial improvements would gain income from the usage and maintainence of the system.

How does "government funding" differ from "public investment"?
Government funding comes out of our pockets. Why should someone in California pay for a subway in Vermont?
Public Investment would include sales of bonds, the 'interest' of which would come from the monies collected in the final system.
Private investment would also get a percentage of that income, plus the ability to market any technologies developed in the process.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Not that I smoke pot, but...I think I'd almost rather buy it from Mexico than the US anyway - unless we're talking Hawai'i. Yeah, that's what we need - legalize pot so that the government can supervise the farming and production of it.

GAH!

So, what about quaaludes? Don't they so essentially the same thing as alcohol just without the sick stomach? And speed - we can already purchase caffeine pills OTC anyway. I know - let's dole out cocaine so our socially inhibited population and depressed population can be alleviated of their symptoms.

Mushrooms grow wild and are not much worse on the psyche than regulated amounts of morphine. Why not them?
that's quite a collection of mis-information.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan to me.

I read back in college when this was a topic of conversation umm...every night... that Phillip Morris and R.J. Reynolds have prototypes and brands ready to launch in the event dope is legalized.

Other fiscal benefits of legalizing pot:

Release of non-violent dope offenders from prison

The gain of these individuals' tax base back into the economy

The partial dismantling of the drug-war prison/police system, which incarcerates a large percentage of all the world's inmates and costs billions annually.

Not to mention higher standards for pizza, snack chips, and video games.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Release of non-violent dope offenders from prison

The gain of these individuals' tax base back into the economy
I don't think these can be over-emphasized. I am hornswazzled that we put people away for having or dealing pot sometimes longer than someone who committed a robbery, or, even worse, assaulted/raped/beat someone else. That, to me, is insane.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why is pot illegal?

Is it because it is 'bad', or because certain groups were threatened by it and had the government 'legislate' the competition away?

Hemp rope is considered by many to be far superior to cotton. Those scratchy gym ropes we used to climb as kids were in many cases made from hemp. The US Navy used hemp through out WW2.

Some interesting, but mostly unknown facts on "Pot":
====
http://www.thehia.org/history/history.htm
HEMP HISTORY

Hemp is among the oldest industries on the planet, going back more than 10,000 years to the beginnings of pottery. The Columbia History of the World states that the oldest relic of human industry is a bit of hemp fabric dating back to approximately 8,000 BC.

Presidents Washington and Jefferson both grew hemp. Americans were legally bound to grow hemp during the Colonial Era and Early Republic.

In 1937 Congress passed the Marihuana Tax Act which effectively began the era of hemp prohibition. The tax and licensing regulations of the act made hemp cultivation unfeasible for American farmers. The chief promoter of the Tax Act, Harry Anslinger, began promoting anti-marijuana legislation around the world. To learn more about hemp prohibition visit http://www.JackHerer.com or check out "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" by Jack Herer

Then came World War II. The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor shut off foreign supplies of "manilla hemp" fiber from the Philippines. The USDA produced a film called Hemp For Victory to encourage US farmers to grow hemp for the war effort. The US government formed War Hemp Industries and subsidized hemp cultivation. During the War and US farmers grew about a million acres of hemp across the midwest as part of that program.

After the war ended, the government quietly shut down all the hemp processing plants and the industry faded away again.

During the period from 1937 to the late 60's the US government understood and acknowledged that Industrial Hemp and marijuana were distinct varieties of the cannabis plant. Hemp is no longer recognized as distinct from marijuana since the passage of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) of 1970. This is despite the fact that a specific exemption for hemp was included in the CSA under the definition of marijuana.

Basic Uses of Industrial Hemp: Food, Fuel, Fiber
http://www.thehia.org/faqs/faq7.htm

"Industrial Hemp is currently legal to grow in more than 30 countries including Canada, Germany, England, France, Spain, Australia, New Zealand, the Russian Federation, China, Thailand, Hungary and Romania.

Many US states have passed legislation to grow, study or request changes in US government policy on industrial hemp. Hawaii has not only passed hemp legislation allowing for hemp trials but has actually planted the first legal hemp crop since the 1950's! The Hawaii Industrial Hemp Research Project was just reauthorized and research continues under the direction of Dr. Dave West. "
http://www.thehia.org/legislation.htm

===

From the Hemp FAQ
http://www.xs4all.nl/~4david/cannabis.html
http://www.cannabis.com/faqs/

2b) What are the benefits of hemp compared to other food crops?
Hemp requires little fertilizer, and grows well almost everywhere. It also resists pests, so it uses little pesticides. Hemp puts down deep roots, which is good for the soil, and when the leaves drop off the hemp plant, minerals and nitrogen are returned to the soil. Hemp has been grown on the same soil for twenty years in a row without any noticeable depletion of the soil.
Using less fertilizer and agricultural chemicals is good for two reasons. First, it costs less and requires less effort. Second, many agricultural chemicals are dangerous and contaminate the environment -- the less we have to use, the better.

3b) Why is it better than cotton?
The cloth that hemp makes may be a little less soft than cotton, (though there are also special kinds of hemp, or ways to grow or treat hemp, that can produce a soft cloth) but it is much stronger and longer lasting. (It does not stretch out.) Environmentally, hemp is a better crop to grow than cotton, especially the way cotton is grown nowadays. In the United States, the cotton crop uses half of the total pesticides. (Yes, you heard right, one half of the pesticides used in the entire U.S. are used on cotton.) Cotton is a soil damaging crop and needs a lot of fertilizer.

6a) How can hemp be used as a medicine?
Marijuana has thousands of possible uses in medicine. Marijuana (actually cannabis extract) was available as a medicine legally in this country until 1937, and was sold as a nerve tonic -- but mankind has been using cannabis medicines much longer than that. Marijuana appears in almost every known book of medicine written by ancient scholars and wise men. It is usually ranked among the top medicines, called `panaceas', a word which means `cure-all'. The list of diseases which cannabis can be used for includes: multiple sclerosis, cancer treatment, AIDS (and AIDS treatment), glaucoma, depression, epilepsy, migraine headaches, asthma, pruritis, sclerodoma, severe pain, and dystonia. This list does not even consider the other medicines which can be made out of marijuana -- these are just some of the illnesses for which people smoke or eat whole marijuana today.
There are over 60 chemicals in marijuana which may have medical uses. It is relatively easy to extract these into food or beverage, or into some sort of lotion, using butter, fat, oil, or alcohol. One chemical, cannabinol, may be useful to help people who cannot sleep. Another is taken from premature buds and is called cannabidiolic acid. It is a powerful disinfectant. Marijuana dissolved in rubbing alcohol helps people with the skin disease herpes control their sores, and a salve like this was one of the earliest medical uses for cannabis. The leaves were once used in bandages and a relaxing non-psychoactive herbal tea can be made from small cannabis stems.

The most well known use of marijuana today is to control nausea and vomiting. One of the most important things when treating cancer with chemotherapy or when treating AIDS with AZT or Foscavir, being able to eat well, makes the difference between life or death. Patients have found marijuana to be extremely effective in fighting nausea; in fact so many patients use it for this purpose even though it is illegal that they have formed `buyers clubs' to help them find a steady supply. In California, some city governments have decided to look the other way and allow these clubs to operate openly.

Marijuana is also useful for fighting two other very serious and wide-spread disabilities. Glaucoma is the second leading cause of blindness, caused by uncontrollable eye pressure. Marijuana can control the eye pressure and keep glaucoma from causing blindness. Multiple Sclerosis is a disease where the body's immune system attacks nerve cells. Spasms and many other problems result from this. Marijuana not only helps stop these spasms, but it may also keep multiple sclerosis from getting worse.

Right now, there is no verified reasons why it is supposedly 'bad' for you. Tobacco has been proven to be much much worse, yet is legal. Hemp has an incredible amount of benefits that we can enjoy (even those of us who don't smoke) that it is simply insane that due to corporate greed, we are denied this ability.

Simply put, by legalizing it we can reallocate billions of dollars to better enforcing the law againt those drugs which have been proven harmful, as well as focusing our law enforcement towards their elimination. Legalization will generate billions in revenue for cash straped states, and easier research will enrich us with the health and other benefits possible.

Latest Discussions