Where's the weed come from?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The following is taken from Kaith's political platform:
Drug Policy / War:
- Legalize Marijuana and add "sin" taxes to help fund drug treatment programs and health reform.
- Use increased border patrols and higher inspections to minimize trafficking.
What method of supply and distribution do you propose in order to supply the potentially huge marijuana market?

Also, where do you draw the lines? Will hashish and hash oil be legal as well? What about other natural substances such as psilocybin? Will there be a legal age limit imposed?

What tax level do you propose, and what quantity of revenue do you anticipate?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think supply will be too much of a problem - it was my understanding that the US is already producing a huge amount of marijuana, just covertly.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i don't think legalizing marijuana will greatly affect the number of users...which is already very high..i can name maybe three people(including myself) that have never done it...what will change is how people do it, of course...

they'll be much more open about it...but some people will never try, some will never quit and some just want to experiment...legal or illegal...nothing's going to change that

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To answer the question... Feisty hit it on the head :whip: our own government is growing large quantities of the stuff for their own purposes. Legal medicinal marijuana gets their source from there.
As I understand it where cannibis is legal it is controlled by the government that only licensed growers can produce a crop for sale to the public.
Problem I think the government/DEA/FBI and other drug-enforcers see; is that if you legalize one...then eventually a domino effect will happen and you'll have to legalize the others.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not that I smoke pot, but...I think I'd almost rather buy it from Mexico than the US anyway - unless we're talking Hawai'i. Yeah, that's what we need - legalize pot so that the government can supervise the farming and production of it.

GAH!

So, what about quaaludes? Don't they so essentially the same thing as alcohol just without the sick stomach? And speed - we can already purchase caffeine pills OTC anyway. I know - let's dole out cocaine so our socially inhibited population and depressed population can be alleviated of their symptoms.

Mushrooms grow wild and are not much worse on the psyche than regulated amounts of morphine. Why not them?

See, I think the gov. would be happy to legalize drugs so that they can further medicate the minds of the general public and coerce them into subserviance even further. But then, advertising is such a powerful tool, why would they need anything else?

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I think I'd almost rather buy it from Mexico than the US anyway - unless we're talking Hawai'i.
Actually, a lot of the weed getting smoked in the US is coming out of Canada. BC to be more precise. Marijuana is the second largest industry in BC, right behind forestry. Illegal, but huge. And it's some of the best quality pot you can purchase (so I hear).

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Actually, a lot of the weed getting smoked in the US is coming out of Canada. BC to be more precise. Marijuana is the second largest industry in BC, right behind forestry. Illegal, but huge. And it's some of the best quality pot you can purchase (so I hear).
you heared wrong. The indoor grow ops are the best quality.
Sean

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see it as a commercial enterprise much like tobacco and alcohol.

An age limit (most likely 21) would be set, taxes levied, and the product would be sold like cigarettes, but usage enforced ala alcohol.

The idea here would be to dry up the illegal importation, create a new revenue source for the government and return those LEO and courts to more pressing concerns.

This legalization would not extend to other drugs at this time, however IF independent research can prove the safety of them, they may be considered at some future time (most likely not within my administration).

While some will argue "I wont pay $5 a pack for Old Gold Joints, Ill just grow my own", the reality is that most users will buy it as a consumable product, just like they do beer and cigarettes.

Initially, I see small enterprises, which will in time turn into major corporations much like the Tobacco companies, but hopefully with a less poisonous product.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Shover over, big boy, I feel a stampede a-comin'!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
I see it as a commercial enterprise much like tobacco and alcohol.

An age limit (most likely 21) would be set, taxes levied, and the product would be sold like cigarettes, but usage enforced ala alcohol.

The idea here would be to dry up the illegal importation, create a new revenue source for the government and return those LEO and courts to more pressing concerns.

This legalization would not extend to other drugs at this time, however IF independent research can prove the safety of them, they may be considered at some future time (most likely not within my administration).

While some will argue "I wont pay $5 a pack for Old Gold Joints, Ill just grow my own", the reality is that most users will buy it as a consumable product, just like they do beer and cigarettes.

Initially, I see small enterprises, which will in time turn into major corporations much like the Tobacco companies, but hopefully with a less poisonous product.
We are doing government regulated marijuana growing in Manitoba up in a northern community in Flin Flon.

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/news/Aug2001/CanadaRockVisitsMedMJMine.html

The grow op has come under fire by those who the marijuana was originally intended to help. The users say the stuff is "crap" and should be burnt (excuse the pun please ;) ).

Would you be considering using an already existing grow op like the one above to supply your need in America or would you only want American companies that would support local jobs for small communities? Who would regulate quality and quantity?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have both domestic and imported cigars, cigarettes, and alchoholic beverages. I see no reason not to also have imported 'pot', as long as it is suitably checked for quality, and pays the apropriate import tarrifs.

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
you heared wrong. The indoor grow ops are the best quality.
Sean
Oh yeah, it's all indoor grow op hydroponic style stuff coming out of BC too. But let's not get into a debate about whose weed's the best. :p

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So much like the alcohol industry... would "Homebrewing" of pot be legal or illegal?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok forget quality, but the appeal of BC is that its cheap; most of it is outdoor. There are plenty of indoor operations within the us, and there is no reason to spend all the time and effort importing the same thing. I'm sure it happens, but low price and high quanitity is what makes BCB so problematic. Don't believe all the propaganda!!!
Sean

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
I see it as a commercial enterprise much like tobacco and alcohol. .....usage enforced ala alcohol.........
By this, do you mean that consumption would only be legal in particular places (pot bars, home) ? Restrictions on driving under the influence? Would enforcement fall under the BATF?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Possibly. "Smokehouses" may be a way for people to gather, socialize and share, but like the bars and pubs of today. Also, with the public outcry against tobacco, I can see a re-emergence of the social clubs of old. I do believe some cities have cigar bars, or similar where smokers can gather and enjoy their vice freely. A licensing system similar to the current liquor license system would provide additional revenue to the government.

Similarly, you'd be free to enjoy it in the privacy of your own home, like alcohol is today, but operating machinery or driving under the influence would of course be illegal.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Possibly. "Smokehouses" may be a way for people to gather, socialize and share, but like the bars and pubs of today. Also, with the public outcry against tobacco, I can see a re-emergence of the social clubs of old. I do believe some cities have cigar bars, or similar where smokers can gather and enjoy their vice freely. A licensing system similar to the current liquor license system would provide additional revenue to the government.

Similarly, you'd be free to enjoy it in the privacy of your own home, like alcohol is today, but operating machinery or driving under the influence would of course be illegal.
Alchohol alone is reason enough to revamp our whole public transportation system, and this would be one more reason to do so.
Sean

Latest Discussions