Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Health Care:
- Work to reduce drug prices across the board
- Allow small businesses to 'group together' to help lower premiums.
- Fund federal clinic and medical coverage by adding a 'sin' tax to tobacco, alcohol and marijuana.
- Raise standards for veterans care.
- Remove limits on health care. 100% health care coverage for all Americans.
- Remove abuses caused by outrageous markups on services.

In order to reduce drug prices I will allow access to the lower priced drugs available in Canada. In most cases, these are the same drugs as in the US, made by the same companies, to the same standards. This immoral restriction costs our seniors millions each year that they can not afford.

I will encourage faster release of generic drugs to force costs down as well.

I will roll back certain restrictions that cause drugs to take up to 10 times longer to develop, the delay which costs thousands of lives each year. By rolling back these restrictions, development costs will also lower, and the drug companies will be encouraged to pass that savings on to the consumer.

As part of my plan to get every American covered by a health plan, I will allow small businesses to 'buy in bulk' or joining together to obtain affordable health coverage for their employees. We all know that when you buy in bulk you save, with this plan, we all will. Employeers will be able to both save money and offer more to their employees.

I will use a portion of the 'sin' tax from tobacco and plan proposed marijuana legalization plan to add significant funding to our health system. This money will go to help cover clinics in depressed neighborhoods. Every one deserves to be cared for. We spend billions funding clinics in other countries, while here in the richest country in the world, children are still dying because they can't get treatment. This has got to stop.

Our veterans have sacrificed and suffered for us. The level of care available to them is simply appauling. Reports indicate that the system is corrupt, the care abysmal, and worse.
http://www.aim.org/media_monitor_print/363_0_2_0/
http://www.dctvny.org/videolibrary/codeD/D405.html

I will demand a complete overhall of the system, removing the corrupt and holding them responsible for their abuses. I will gut the system and build it anew to provide our veterans with the care they deserve, and staff it with medical professionals who are patient oriented.

The short list of abuses heaped upon an already over burdened people include the outrageous costs and restrictions on drugs, the lack of quality health care for all Americans, and the embarasingly poor state of our Veterans system. It also includes the insane insurance premiums forced upon doctors by a legal system gone mad, excessive testing, doctored records, and more.

My plan calls for dealing with the abuses of the malpractice system which often only results in lawyers making the money. Physicians will be held liable for malpractice, but not for problems beyond their control. Courts today often impose malpractice penalties on physicians who have done nothing wrong so that patients can access the "deep pockets" of insurers. The result has been skyrocketing premiums for doctors, driving up prices and causing many practitioners to abandon high-risk specialties such as obstetrics. Government-mandated red tape increases the paperwork burden for physicians and their staff. Medicare and Medicaid come with an additional layer of busy work for over-extended physicians, with criminal penalties for clerical mistakes. More and more doctors are refusing to treat patients with government "insurance" to avoid the red tape, late payments, and poor compensation that have become a hallmark of these programs.

I will cut the 'red tape', require an independant validation of all cases take place to ensure that only legit cases are heard, and bar lawyers who fail the requirements from trying cases.

By doing all this, we can provide quality affordable health care to all Americans, regardless of their economic situation.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you please do all this in the first year so that we can also have regular preventative health exams that guide people in a health program? TW

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sure. All we have to do is not only vote me in, but also vote out the majority of the current congress. :)

M

Melissa426

Thanks for your response, you just notched me about another 10% on the agreement factor.

You really are independant, aren't you? I certainly don't see you primarily following either of the traditional party lines.

I might have to get a "Kaith in 2004" bumper sticker printed.
That would really cause my neighbors to wonder!:ultracool

Peace,
Melissa

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
- Fund federal clinic and medical coverage by adding a 'sin' tax to tobacco, alcohol and marijuana.
You have lots of room to do this, as well. I spend a little more that $8.00 US on a package of cigarettes (25) and $17.00 US on a dozen beer.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
You have lots of room to do this, as well. I spend a little more that $8.00 US on a package of cigarettes (25) and $17.00 US on a dozen beer.

:uhohh: All the more reason, uhhh... health....care.
Live long and prosper! TW

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All I'm saying here is that there is a huge disparity between what these items are priced at in the US vs. Canada. We pay what are, essentially, sin taxes on cigarettes and booze. Everytime the price goes up, people complain, but they continue using those items in the same quantities. When I started smoking in '92, cigareetes were $4.50 for a package of 25. 12 years later, they have increased to $11.50 per pack. Alcohol has not increased at the same rate.

However, the point was that there need be no concern that adding sin taxes to those items will result in fewer users. That has not been the case here. If there has been a reduction in the number of smokers, it is due more to general awareness of the health concerns, not the price point.

According to the American Heart Association, approximately 48.2 million Americans smoke. Assuming an average of half a pack a day, that translates to 24.1 million packs/day sold. If you added a $2.00/pack sin tax to those, you could generate an extra $17.6 billion dollars/year for health care.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Figure 50 cents per pack tax = $4.4 Billion
50 cents per bottle tax on alcohol = an additional 3-5 Billion
50 cents per pack on marijuana (Conservative sales of 500,000 average sales per day) = $92 Million

It all adds up :)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing to also keep in mind, the amount raised is not what is really important.
It is a combination of what we raise, what we save, and what fat we cut.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Very conservative.
According to The Executive Office of the President Office of National Drug Control Policy:

The 2002 NSDUH also showed that an estimated 40.4% (94.9 million) of Americans age 12 or older had used marijuana or hashish in their lifetime, 11% (25.8 million) had used it in the past year, and 6.2% (14.6 million) had used it in the past month. One-third of the past month users, or 4.8 million persons, reported using marijuana 20 or more days in the past month.
How this changes your revenue estimates would depend upon how many joints were in a pack. Presumably, you'd want to try to market them as cheaply as possible, to ensure that there wasn't significant black market competition, however, I think it reasonable that you could get away with at least $1.50/pack as opposed the the $.50 you propose. It all adds up quicker.

The great part is, the people that smoke, drink excessively, and use marijuana are in the minority. They would be the only ones opposing such rate hikes, but the majority would approve.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cross posted.

You're correct in that the entire picture need be tuned in order to generate maximum effect, but details still need to be discussed. It is in the details that the degree with which you have examined an issue is revealed - mind you, from a political standpoint, most voters really don't care about the details. They want soundbytes.