Wheres the shaolin in USSD's shaolin kempo

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm. That would be difficult for me to do, leaving when I like the people... But wait, I DID do that! I still kept my friends at the school, AND now I have MORE friends in a system where family is a huge part of our training!

I have even acted as a liason to black-belts from USSD or Villari's who are interested in coming to Kara-Ho. Since I have a bit in common with those folks...There are great martial artists and fighters in virtually every style including those mentioned, but in my 14 years in Kara-Ho almost every instructor or senior ranking student (green/Brown) that comes to us as a transfer, is gone. Completely different training environment... Seems that (from their feedback as they left) the training was too tough, and the rank advancement was too slow...LOL

Many of these individuals are now high ranking teachers in "other" styles. Whereas several instructors that transferred into Kara-Ho, including one Sgt. Major from the Marine Corps. were higher ranks in other styles yet they gave up their previous rank for a lesser rank in Kara-Ho. This particular gentleman had over 20 years in a different style, was a 5th dan and now he is a Shodan with us.

I came in as a young in shape, brown-belt from USSD and I was NO MATCH for the average Kara-Ho Purple or Blue belt. In fact they had been training longer and harder than me!

I would bet there are other systems that are structured like Kara-Ho, training in garages and having long periods between ranks....There is something to be said for training in a style where almost every person being considered for black-belt has to be reviewed and promoted by the Grandmaster himself, then after the promotion, the said Grandmaster invites you into his house and cooks for everyone! :)

To each their own...I wish you the best!

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm. That would be difficult for me to do, leaving when I like the people... But wait, I DID do that! I still kept my friends at the school, AND now I have MORE friends in a system where family is a huge part of our training!

I have even acted as a liason to black-belts from USSD or Villari's who are interested in coming to Kara-Ho. Since I have a bit in common with those folks...There are great martial artists and fighters in virtually every style including those mentioned, but in my 14 years in Kara-Ho almost every instructor or senior ranking student (green/Brown) that comes to us as a transfer, is gone. Completely different training environment... Seems that (from their feedback as they left) the training was too tough, and the rank advancement was too slow...LOL

Many of these individuals are now high ranking teachers in "other" styles. Whereas several instructors that transferred into Kara-Ho, including one Sgt. Major from the Marine Corps. were higher ranks in other styles yet they gave up their previous rank for a lesser rank in Kara-Ho. This particular gentleman had over 20 years in a different style, was a 5th dan and now he is a Shodan with us.

I came in as a young in shape, brown-belt from USSD and I was NO MATCH for the average Kara-Ho Purple or Blue belt. In fact they had been training longer and harder than me!

I would bet there are other systems that are structured like Kara-Ho, training in garages and having long periods between ranks....There is something to be said for training in a style where almost every person being considered for black-belt has to be reviewed and promoted by the Grandmaster himself, then after the promotion, the said Grandmaster invites you into his house and cooks for everyone! :)

To each their own...I wish you the best!

One of these days I would enjoy trying the Grandmaster's cooking. Apparently it's wonderful. Haha... I suppose I'll have to look into Kara-Ho first. I need to talk to Sensei Hayes.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cross-Training on 2 Kempo styles would be counterproductive...Try a few and see what you like.

IRO-bot: Yes Grandmaster Kuoha is a great cook, he always has something cookin'

If you ever talk to Sensei Jeff (Hayes) tell him Sensei Jamey sent ya and remember he came from USSD so he may be able to relate to your situation!

OP
S

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Cross-Training on 2 Kempo styles would be counterproductive...Try a few and see what you like.

IRO-bot: Yes Grandmaster Kuoha is a great cook, he always has something cookin'

If you ever talk to Sensei Jeff (Hayes) tell him Sensei Jamey sent ya and remember he came from USSD so he may be able to relate to your situation!

Why did Sensei Hayes quit ussd?

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Joe,

As a former Chief Instructor of USSD, I'm going to say "GET OUT NOW!!!!!!" I got screwed royally and would not recommend anyone going to the academy. 95 - 98% of the people that enroll in the academy never run studios. They usually find out about the people they are dealing before going fully into the business and decide to leave. Also, write your 30 day notice before your contract is up with USSD...otherwise, the contract will automatically renew. That's one of their lovely business practices called "keeping you there at all costs."

OP
S

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Joe,

As a former Chief Instructor of USSD, I'm going to say "GET OUT NOW!!!!!!" I got screwed royally and would not recommend anyone going to the academy. 95 - 98% of the people that enroll in the academy never run studios. They usually find out about the people they are dealing before going fully into the business and decide to leave. Also, write your 30 day notice before your contract is up with USSD...otherwise, the contract will automatically renew. That's one of their lovely business practices called "keeping you there at all costs."

This is all TRUE!! Most of them will never run a school but will run their bank account in the ground. If you could own the dojo 100% more would run schools, but that'll never happen.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is all TRUE!! Most of them will never run a school but will run their bank account in the ground. If you could own the dojo 100% more would run schools, but that'll never happen.

No it won't. it used to be like that when they split from Fred Villari's in 91, but not anymore. Less money in the corporate office's pocket. sad but true.

mXmEulogyMxM

White Belt
Reaction score
West Jordan - Ms. Robb, 1st dan

American Fork - Tom, "red belt" (he was made Chief Instructor in his second week at the Academy. I do not approve, as I know what his actual rank is. Low.)

LOL, I just started out my 1-year contract at USSD for $190/month at the West Jordan Dojo. After viewing these forums, I'm guessing that was a mistake. Though I guess it is the only school within five-minutes drive of where I live. The next closest Kempo dojo is over half an hour away, which I don't have to drive to 3-4 days a week.

Ms. Robb seems like a great instructor though. She's very lenient unless you let her know your serious. But just the stuff she lets people get away with... Bleh... The assistant instructor, Sensei Tony, is really strict and WILL make you earn your rank. I wish I could work personally with him more often, I really want to make the best out of my current situation, and I see him helping me to do so.

As for Tom... I joined just before he went into the academy, and he had ranked Purple just prior to my joining! Chief Instructor!?!?!?! WHA!?!?!?!

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
LOL, I just started out my 1-year contract at USSD for $190/month at the West Jordan Dojo. After viewing these forums, I'm guessing that was a mistake. Though I guess it is the only school within five-minutes drive of where I live. The next closest Kempo dojo is over half an hour away, which I don't have to drive to 3-4 days a week.

Ms. Robb seems like a great instructor though. She's very lenient unless you let her know your serious. But just the stuff she lets people get away with... Bleh... The assistant instructor, Sensei Tony, is really strict and WILL make you earn your rank. I wish I could work personally with him more often, I really want to make the best the best out of my current situation, and I see him helping me to do so.

As for Tom... I joined just before he went into the academy, and he had ranked Purple just prior to my joining! Chief Instructor!?!?!?! WHA!?!?!?!

Typical Academy person. Anyway, let me just say that USSD is ok at what they do. I don't believe in paying 190 a month (which is actually cheaper than the California Schools) for one private lesson a week, plus unlimited groups from some red belt. No thank you. Been there, done that, won't do it again. HOWEVER, for your present situation, it's ok. Just out of curiousity, what other schools do you have near you?

mXmEulogyMxM

White Belt
Reaction score
Typical Academy person. Anyway, let me just say that USSD is ok at what they do. I don't believe in paying 190 a month (which is actually cheaper than the California Schools) for one private lesson a week, plus unlimited groups from some red belt. No thank you. Been there, done that, won't do it again. HOWEVER, for your present situation, it's ok. Just out of curiousity, what other schools do you have near you?

EDIT: As far as Kempo goes, http://www.arrowheadkenpo.com has a studio run out of a gym. It's about 35-40 minutes away from me.

In other arts, there's Joe-Schmucks school of Karate, Joe-Schmucks school of TKD, and Gracie Jiu Jutsu are all within 30 minutes or so, and all are fairly pricey as well.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Gracie BJJ is good. I am going to start studying BJJ with John Machado. Who's the instructor there?

mXmEulogyMxM

White Belt
Reaction score
After looking around, apparently Pedro Sauer BJJ is an affiliate of Gracie BJJ, and it (PS BJJ) is the actual school here in Utah. Shawn Weaver would be the head instructor.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
After looking around, apparently Pedro Sauer BJJ is an affiliate of Gracie BJJ, and it (PS BJJ) is the actual school here in Utah. Shawn Weaver would be the head instructor.

Pedro Sauer is a Gracie BJJ black belt. I've never heard of Shawn Weaver...have fun with ussd though and beware. don't get sucked into anything you don't want.

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Ms. Robb seems like a great instructor though. She's very lenient unless you let her know your serious. But just the stuff she lets people get away with... Bleh... The assistant instructor, Sensei Tony, is really strict and WILL make you earn your rank. I wish I could work personally with him more often, I really want to make the best out of my current situation, and I see him helping me to do so.

Lori will give you a hard work out but she's not the best at doing the actual class. And Tony is a cool guy. I like him. And what I suggest is that you talk to either Tony or Lori and ask to work more with Tony. You should probably mention it to him, though, as to not hurt her feelings or whatever.

Latest Discussions