Where do you teach/learn?

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny.....in old China you could be so lucky...alley....Junk... a small room,a roof top where you could not be detected....no A.C. let alone find an adept trainer......Hmmmm?

altbus1

White Belt
Reaction score
I've started training at my friend's place for 2 years. (Just occasionall)
Now I'm training in an old church. I don't care where I'm training I'm just glad that I was able to find a school where I can train.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
A krav maga instructor contacted me recently who teaches out of a local health club. He wants me ro come there to teach WT. He's also in the process of getting an FMA instructor there, and possibly a BJJ guy, and forming an association of sorts. He's saying I wouild get 40% of anyone they recruit and 60% of anyone I recruit., but the gym would cover insurance, advertising, and allow us to place a sign.
If I had a school I would be happy with a 40% profit to be sure. One thing that is a sticking point for me is I have to sign a contract that says I can't teach any of the association's members if I decide to leave....

Is this something to consider, or am I better of staying here at my house and teaching in my own little world?
what to do????advice from the wise please

altbus1

White Belt
Reaction score
What if you would have to leave that school and your students want to go with you, are you going to say sorry no can do? Don't forget the people that allready train with you what should happen with them?
It would be a sheap sollution for the moment but you don't know if it's going to work out after a few years. Even so maybe they will raise the prices for renting the training center. Or even worse they could chanche the houres that you are allowed to train and so on.

Greetz

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
... he said "wow you beat me i cant believe it, and you train out of a basement!"
This is what I like about a lot of CMA. No uniforms or fancy studio, but great training in a basement or church.

I hope your friend is able to look beneath the surface.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One thing that is a sticking point for me is I have to sign a contract that says I can't teach any of the association's members if I decide to leave....

Is this something to consider, or am I better of staying here at my house and teaching in my own little world?
what to do????advice from the wise please

It sounds like an interesting proposition. You might want to negotiate a better "escape clause", like agreeing not to teach their association members (if you leave) for a certain reasonable period of time... say 3 months? Or agree to pay them a one-time fee for each member who follows you... but you can't be expected to abandon your students if the gig doesn't work out, especially if they are guys who are your long-time students. Anyway, let us know how it all turns out.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like an interesting proposition. You might want to negotiate a better "escape clause", like agreeing not to teach their association members (if you leave) for a certain reasonable period of time... say 3 months? Or agree to pay them a one-time fee for each member who follows you... but you can't be expected to abandon your students if the gig doesn't work out, especially if they are guys who are your long-time students. Anyway, let us know how it all turns out.
I like this idea. Maybe ask instead for it to be not teach "current association members" or something like that if you leave. It's basically a no-compete clause, and you don't want to be hamstrung by it if you decide the deal isn't for you.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

I've thought of that as well. I haven't hammered it all out yet, but by the sound of it, if I recruit them, then all is well because I would have been the one who brought them in the door.

It makes sense for them, as it keeps me from going in there and building up a student base on their advertising nickle and then opening up a competing school across the street, yet there needs to be some sort of happy medium.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you think you could build up a following without any of the students from your current club?

If yes, then the non-compete agreement would be no sweat.

If no, then you might want to consider whether you're really that different from your old club, and whether you're able to market your teaching on its own merits to the population at large. Maybe spending some time apart from the club to make your style your own, separate from the old club might be the thing to do.

I suspect the truth might be in-between?

Anyway, how about a year for the moratorium on teaching existing members? If I were the old club, I wouldn't accept less than a year. I hear three years is the norm in the corporate world ...?
I wouldn't go for the one-time fee thing -- too hard to administer, and you wouldn't want to be in business (after a fashion) with the old club if things turn sour.

But if a year is too long and you were in a hurry, I'd have to ask .... why?

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
. . . . . One thing that is a sticking point for me is I have to sign a contract that says I can't teach any of the association's members if I decide to leave....

What happens if you leave, and don't tell any of the health clubs members and they find you on their own and want to continue training with you? It's not your fault they found you and you should have to not train them just because you were with the health club. So because you trained them at the club, you can't accept them as student outside the club, when you're not affiliated? I think you're not responsible and shouldn't be allowed to not have them as students. Get my drift?

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a meeting with the health club guy today and i addressed my concern about abadoning students should I leave.
I know since it's a health club, I'm going to get a fair share of people there simply to cross train. Then there are going to be the ones there to learn WT. Those are the ones I am concerned about. He is willing to work something out as a concession, so I am going to make a go of it..................

Latest Discussions