When Would You Respond?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a thread in the Horro Stories section regarding a female that was stabbed in a store. It was about 2 min. before help was called, numerous people continued to shop, literally steppin over this poor, dying person and one even took the time to take a cell phone picture of her, for what reason, I'll never understand.

Anyway...my questions are: when exactly would you step in and aid someone? How far would you go to offer aid?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ooooo difficult question.

I have seen fights break out between two drunk, violent guys and that is not worth getting involved in.
If you see an argument between two people, again, it is usually none of your business so turn away

If it is a member of the public being attacked, I personally would (and have) stepped in. Sometimes the odds are against you (I was beaten severely in Central London) but generally it is worth fighting the good fight

In London I had an experience where two guys approached me on pedal bikes. On guy grabbed my phone. I grabbed his mate and had him in a clinch. I was reluctant to hit him as technically he hadn't done anything (it was his mate who had done the crime). He hit me a few times although I was controlling most of his movements, and I suddenly felt numerous blows all round my body. It turned out they were part of a larger posse and had attacked me.
The disgusting thing...? It was in the middle of a busy street next to a apacked bus stop. Most people could see exactly what was going on and that these guys had robbed me but did nothing

Now admittedly it can be hard to see what is going on sometimes - if you see a commotion/argument you are not always sure who the protagonist is. However, on this occasion it was clear to see everything that had happened.

It was a great learning experience for me (albeit a nasty one!), and has encouraged me to make sure that I intervene when I can.

I know that each situation should be judged as it happens

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a thread in the Horro Stories section regarding a female that was stabbed in a store. It was about 2 min. before help was called, numerous people continued to shop, literally steppin over this poor, dying person and one even took the time to take a cell phone picture of her, for what reason, I'll never understand.

Anyway...my questions are: when exactly would you step in and aid someone? How far would you go to offer aid?

As a First Responder I would do whatever necessary until EMS arrives...

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Aiding someone that is in distress is a moral obligation, it should be done with out delay. If you second guess yourself someone will suffer.
:jedi1:

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think, depending on the area, people tend to not want to get involved due to the fear of retaliation. As a dispatcher, I take calls daily, regarding fights and drug deals. 98% of the time, those folks want to be anonymous, and I respect that. 2% will give their name and number, but they'll ask not for it to be given over the air. They'll usually talk with a cop over the phone if more info. needs to be given, but again, the fear of retaliation is still there.

The fear of having the victim turn on you is also present. If I was walking to my car, saw a male and female in a physical fight, go to the male and pull him off of the female, whats to stop her from turning on me? Now, instead of dealing with one angry person, I now have two.

We live in a sue happy world. A good deed on someones part could lead to issues down the road. I could take someone out of the car in a MVA, but in the process, move the person the wrong way, causing them to never be able to walk again. IMO, I'd rather offer my help by calling the police. I'm not medically trained like they are, so why involve myself in something I'm not capable of doing properly?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aiding someone that is in distress is a moral obligation, it should be done with out delay. If you second guess yourself someone will suffer.
:jedi1:

Amen brother...

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I can't understand how someone can see something like this happening and not get involved, even if it's only to call the police. In a store I'm sure there would be something large and heavy enough to throw at the attacker to make him stop or at least distract him. If I could reasonably stop the attack I would get involved immediately, if not I'd call the police immeditely. I don't think I could just watch something like that or walk away and then look at myself in the mirror without being disgusted at what I saw.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Many are not physically able to render assistance because of age, lack of physical strength so aiding need not be a physical thing. It can be something as simple like verbal support, getting any by-standers to join in with assistance.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I saw someone in even slight need of medical assistance, I would immediately call 911, and provide any help I could. Other situations are less clear-cut - especially given that, on various occasions, I have been told by LEOs that I shouldn't do anything directly, but should just call the police - and that includes such minor things as getting noisy teens to turn their radios down when they park by my house and turn up the car stereo so they can hear it in the park across the street.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I would definately call the police and for medical assistance. I would like to think that I would help further, but having never been in this situation, I would not know definatively how I would respond. In fact, I'd like to think I'd have disarmed and incapacitated the assailant, but every situation dictates as different response, and again, I've never been there.
However, as far as taking pictures, how about a picture of the assailant, not the victim ... gees ... get real!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It can be something as simple like verbal support, getting any by-standers to join in with assistance.

Well said..Just a voice letting them know that they are not alone and help is on the way can be a great comfort...

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Many are not physically able to render assistance because of age, lack of physical strength so aiding need not be a physical thing. It can be something as simple like verbal support, getting any by-standers to join in with assistance.

Well said..Just a voice letting them know that they are not alone and help is on the way can be a great comfort...

I agree, well stated.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a First Responder I would do whatever necessary until EMS arrives...

I am in the same boat here. Using universal precautions I would do what I need to do. But before all I would make sure the area is secure.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

I step in as soon as I see it's a real need (not just two knuckleheads squared off). Call me crazy, it's just the way I grew up, then marine medic (Navy Corpsman) training sealed the deal.

So, pretty much what everyone has already said.

Interesting find, Mike, and great question. Thanks for posting. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When would I step in?

It depends. In this case, as soon as I saw someone in need of aid. That's pretty easy. I'd have been sending someone for EMS aid, and providing what aid I could until they got there.

Had it been slightly earlier, while the assault was ongoing, it becomes more complex. I have to way whether I can safely intervene, for myself, those who I am responsible for, and those around me, and even for the combatants. I don't want to make the situation worse; I don't want to add another victim, and I may be responsible for others, and have to take that into account. However, no matter what, my MINIMUM involvement is serving as a good witness, and getting the appropriate emergency authorities involved.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I would respond as soon as I could. If I was not able to respond but call 911 I would. If I was able to give physical aid and have others call for help.

Personally I think it depends upon the situation and the people involved. i.e. I will not cross gun fire to try to get to someone or to a phone to get help. But this is more of the what if.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat here. Using universal precautions I would do what I need to do. But before all I would make sure the area is secure.

Same here.

I can not understand why anyone would not help another injured human being or at least get them help ASAP.

-Marc-

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score

Agreed, with the caveat that "in distress" is sometimes hard to figure.

If you see two guys in a drunken brawl, neither of them is "in distress".

If you see a man and his wife going at each other, and you restrain the man, only to get cold-cocked by the wife....now you're "in distress".

Some cases, like the OP, are obvious and clear-cut. Others, not so much.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In distress - a victum that has little or no chance. This does not always mean that a physical intervention is required, verbal support, a 911 call or screaming out for more assistance will do. Standing by and doing nothing is morally wrong.
Been there done that on the wife jumping on my back and attacking me. Even so I would do it again.
Being correct does not mean that you will be appreciated by all.
:btg:

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
As soon as I see someone is in danger. Maybe it's my first aid training dicating what I do. Or maybe its because I'm actualy this fun little species called a HUMAN! If you dont atleast go get help when you see someone dieing like that, it's because you have no soul. Period.

Latest Discussions