When pressure groups collide...fun begins...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you get when anti-smoking zealots go up against breast feeding zealots...a whole lot of funny, that's what...

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/03/going_too_far_in_a_good_cause.html

Here are the facts: the New Zealand government recently featured popular rugby star Piri Weepu in an anti-smoking public service TV commercial that included a two-second clip of Weepu cuddling and bottle-feeding his six-month-old baby daughter -- a touching image that subtly highlights the dangers of secondhand smoke. It also sends a subliminal message about the important role fathers should play in infants' lives. Considering the prevalence of out-of-wedlock births, this is an important conservative, family-values message that should not be ignored.

However, shocked at the "evil" of a father bottle-feeding his infant daughter, the La Leche League organized a strident e-mail campaign and -- claiming that that the image "didn't mesh with its core message: that breastfeeding is best for children" -- publicly forced the New Zealand's[COLOR=#009900 !important]Health[/COLOR] Sponsorship Council to back down and remove the "offensive" image.
Their message couldn't be any clearer: Our position is the only valid position.
From the La Leche League's shrill response, one might think that someone had spit on their flag or accused their mothers of prostitution. By forcing public officials to purge an innocent message, just because it didn't embrace one group's position -- even on behalf of a totally unrelated cause -- this group came across as stiff-necked, bullying, strident, and out of touch, so self-centered that they can't see that there are other positive messages out there that don't involve them. This unwelcome image now brands the La Leche League not just in New Zealand, but throughout the world. This story has appeared on the Today Show, on MSNBC's website, and on more than 6,000 internet sites around the world, tarring La Leche Leagues worldwide with an extremist brush.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
La Leche is right though: breast feeding is best.

Corporate interests have worked very hard to sow suspicion about breast milk in many third world countries in order to sell baby formula. Despite concerted action to correct that, many mothers (in personal experience through my own travels) are still afraid to breast feed. Not only does this bankrupt third world communities who might otherwise build infrastructure and schools, but it compromises the health of millions of babies as well. So La Leche may be a "special interest" by our standards, but their message is more important than you might think.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
They could be diplomatic about it. I agree, breast feeding is the best option, I don't agree that it's the only option and that every other option should be purged. I don't agree with the fanaticism of crusaders, period. Reasoned arguments seldom require such absolutes and the importance of their message is swallowed by their vehemence and inflexibility, especially when all they can see is the negatives of a very positive image.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Breast feeding is usually the best option......of course, fathers simply can't do it. :lol:

Maybe La Leche league is advocating that ll mothers be stay at home mothers???:lfao:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Breast feeding is usually the best option......of course, fathers simply can't do it. :lol:

Maybe La Leche league is advocating that ll mothers be stay at home mothers???:lfao:

There's an app for that...well actually pumps, Silly!

But I get where you're aiming at....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
La Leche is right though: breast feeding is best.

And how do you know he wasn't feeding breast milk? I fed my son many, many times (and treasure the memory of the opportunity) -- and he never had straight formula.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it was the fact that the father was involved in the feeding of the baby. That may be what set them off, I mean, they are a breast feeding pressure group, they have to know that most if not all breast feeding mothers use bottles, for breast milk, at some point, especially if they have to work.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Some people are "activists" seemingly just to annoy others by telling them what to do. Their fervour costs them the logic of their premise. These kind of people are miserable to have dinner with, let alone a debate.

Latest Discussions