When Mr. Bean speaks...people should listen...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The actor who plays the character Mr. Bean is speaking out against cenorship in Great Britain...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...-we-must-be-allowed-to-insult-each-other.html
The Blackadder and Mr Bean star attacked the "creeping culture of
censoriousness" which has resulted in the arrest of a Christian preacher, a
critic of Scientology and even a student making a joke, it was reported.

He criticised the "new intolerance" as he called for part of it the Public
Order Act to be repealed, saying it was having a "chilling effect on free
expression and free protest".

Mr Atkinson said: "The clear problem of the outlawing of insult is that too
many things can be interpreted as such. Criticism, ridicule, sarcasm, merely
stating an alternative point of view to the orthodoxy, can be interpreted as
insult."

He was joined by Lord Dear, former chief constable of West Midlands Police,
and former shadow home secretary David Davis.

Mr Davis said: "The simple truth is that in a free society, there is no right
not to be offended. For centuries, freedom of speech has been a vital part of
British life, and repealing this law will reinstate that right."

Now, perhaps, Mr. Bean could go on to found the European chapter of the National Rifle Association and help lead the fight to protect another vital freedom of a free people...

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now, perhaps, Mr. Bean could go on to found the European chapter of the National Rifle Association and help lead the fight to protect another vital freedom of a free people...

You have a hard time understanding that outside the US, poeple are not that focused on gun ownership. Nor are they generally interested on owning and carrying guns.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, if people outside the U.S. were more interested in their right to defend themselves, we wouldn't have to be worried about U.N. treaties trying to impinge on our rights to defend ourselves over here. Or dumb judges and law makers looking overseas and seeing people who are happy to not be able to protect themselves from each other or their governments, and then go on to make decisions and laws that, once again, effect our rights over here.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't have the problem of defending ourselves because guns are not easily obtained by pretty thieves and house burglars in which there might be a confrontation.

The criminals that do have guns, don't generally do the lower scale crimes, and only people who are affected by them are involved normally. Occasionally people are still confronted by pretty crims who do have guns, but the ratio is immensely lower than a country with legalized guns.

People are generally more concerned some one might have a box cutter on them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, if people outside the U.S. were more interested in their right to defend themselves, we wouldn't have to be worried about U.N. treaties trying to impinge on our rights to defend ourselves over here. Or dumb judges and law makers looking overseas and seeing people who are happy to not be able to protect themselves from each other or their governments, and then go on to make decisions and laws that, once again, effect our rights over here.

So we're supposed to accept the gun-nut culture in our countries so you're more comfortable???

That makes less sense than you adopting across-the-board universal heatth care to make us more comfortable.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't get too side-tracked by the throw-away line about gun-control that Bill added on the end of his OP.

The real core issue is over-censorship and how it not only corrals unpleasant behaviour but also marginalises the ability to protest or depict any issue in an unflattering light.

I happen to believe that people should behave in a way that does not aggressively insult their fellows but sometimes the traces need to be kicked over a little to get a point across. For example, I've given Bill some grief on more than one occasion for his habit of demonising the Democrats and sometimes I have been less polite than I normally am whilst doing it. It wasn't that I don't think he has the right to his views but was because I was, essentially, protesting the closing down of avenues of discussion by dint of prejudicial rhetoric and being polite about it hadn't gotten the message across (neither did being impolite but that's another story :D).

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So we're supposed to accept the gun-nut culture in our countries so you're more comfortable???

That makes less sense than you adopting across-the-board universal heatth care to make us more comfortable.

:lol:

Latest Discussions