When I mentioned an aversion to shaking hands with men

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been called homophobic here before when I've mentioned an aversion to shaking hands with other men. I want to point out that it would be inaccurate to call me homophobic based on that. As I had pointed out it was men that I didn't like shaking hands with, not gays.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
so your telling anyone who will listen your not homophobic but rather you have OCD ? and this relates to martial arts how?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was actually thinking of that thread a week or so ago. These days I try to avoid shaking hands with anybody.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have a problem shaking hands.....but I refuse to share an umbrella with another man. Thats like Man Rule #27: Thou Shall Not Share an Umbrella with Another Man.

Only one man alllowed under the umbrella!

marine-umbrella_3-620x436.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't have a problem shaking hands.....but I refuse to share an umbrella with another man. Thats like Man Rule #27: Thou Shall Not Share an Umbrella with Another Man.

There's actually a story behind that photo. Somebody asked the Marine if he could surreptitiously point to the moron in the room.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Sharing an umbrella is a big no-no. Holding for someone is acceptable. Like the Marine holding it for the president, the underbosses holding it for The Godfather, holding for the priest while he’s officiating (is that the right word?) a funeral, etc.

I remember sharing an umbrella with my father during a funeral a while back. It just felt really weird. And that’s my father of all people. He insisted (it was his umbrella) and I wasn’t going to argue at that time and place.

There are very few things that are more unmanly than sharing an umbrella. To be honest, I can’t think of any at the moment, but I’m sure there’s one or two.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember sharing an umbrella with my father during a funeral a while back. It just felt really weird. And that’s my father of all people. He insisted (it was his umbrella) and I wasn’t going to argue at that time and place.

I think there is an exception of the rule for Father and Son so you are ok....;)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been called homophobic here before when I've mentioned an aversion to shaking hands with other men. I want to point out that it would be inaccurate to call me homophobic based on that. As I had pointed out it was men that I didn't like shaking hands with, not gays.

Maybe you were exposed to one too many 'handshake defenses' from old-school judo and aikido videos?

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Just as long as both aren't grabbing the shaft, of the umbrella, then I think it's fine.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sharing an umbrella is a big no-no. Holding for someone is acceptable. Like the Marine holding it for the president, the underbosses holding it for The Godfather, holding for the priest while he’s officiating (is that the right word?) a funeral, etc.

There are very few things that are more unmanly than sharing an umbrella. To be honest, I can’t think of any at the moment, but I’m sure there’s one or two.

pulling guard.

Latest Discussions