What's Your Motivation?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think motivation to start your martial art and motivation to continue doing it - especially when you have been at it for a time - are often two different things.

Why I began back then is not why I continue today. :)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wanted to start it since I was a kid in the 70's watching Bruce Lee. Unfortunately, back then (given the ignorance of martial arts) you were automatically labeled a "Black Belt" and were required to fight everyone on the planet to see how tough you were. (There was only nothing or Bruce Lee...no in between and I was the smallest kid in the state).

I started it many years later as something to do with my middle son.

I signed up for it because they have lots of mirrors in the dojang and I saw the reflection of an overweight, out-of-shape, fat, ex-athlete in them. Unacceptable! Humiliating! My self inflicted punishment was to continue even though I HATED IT!

I continued it because that only lasted 2 weeks. Loved it ever since.

threethirty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've always been interested in MA but never did anything until I rode by the kwoon and saw on the blinky light sign that there was a free week trial. I think I was pretty hooked after the first week, it was a lot of fun. A year later I am half as fat as I was (I dont have a scale so I base my progress on my gut) and never felt better. I started doing Qigong about 4 months ago and that gave me another boost of interest. I'm generally a really lazy dude but Kung-Fu gets me off my butt everyday.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was forced to do it as a kid, now I do it so I don't get my *** handed to me too bad if I ever get into it.But I like Xues' answer better!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
when I started? SURVIVAL. stayed with it... love it.

Latest Discussions