• 6th Dan

• 7th Dan

• 8th Dan

• 9th Dan

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jchetty

White Belt
Reaction score
im new to the boards and taekwondo, so hi everyone:asian: our head instructor is 6th degree. He does mostly does the kids classes and runs the other schools and seminars. My immediate instructor is a 4th degree ,his wife, and since I'm new im working with a 3rd degree who has been studying at this school since he was 4 or 6. He is 18, is that to young to be a 3rd degree. I'm guessing if you're a 3rd degree your a 3rd dan or is that wrong??:confused: so dan= degree or if you could enlighten me. I'm 25 and just started. Kind of started to honor my best friend :drinky: who was 3rd degree and hasnt practiced in years. Hope me starting will motivate him to strap up his sparring gear, but with a baby on the way i doubt he will:wah:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off welcome to answer you question no by the Kukkiwon standards you could be a thris degree by 18 most likely he was a poom rank before 15 and transferred the pooms to Dan ranks after that magical age of 15. As far as your Training goes is it WTF, Kukkiwon or ITF styles or do you know?

Jchetty

White Belt
Reaction score
First off welcome to answer you question no by the Kukkiwon standards you could be a thris degree by 18 most likely he was a poom rank before 15 and transferred the pooms to Dan ranks after that magical age of 15. As far as your Training goes is it WTF, Kukkiwon or ITF styles or do you know?

no idea:confused:i visited like 20 schools within an hours drive of my house for different styles..after having a long talk with my best friend who has a 3rd degree he said that make style doesnt matter and that what would ultimately make the difference was most importantly students effort. Next important was quality of instruction. He said almost any style can be effective. He wanted me to learn one style well and then cross train if I felt I was missing something so I could always rely on that. I ended up going with boxing or taekwondo and this school really impressed me. As for affiliation no clue..I will ask next time I go to class.

Jchetty

White Belt
Reaction score

:) If I am correct, our training is based on ITF. I am currently a white belt studying the Chong-Ji form if that is correct spelling:confused: I am kind of dissappointed in my limited cardio and lack of kicking ability. Knowing boxing my hand techniques are decent. What I love about the martial art is there is so much attention placed on proper form. From breathing to turning hips to placement of pivot foot, I love it. Also I love that they stress to learn techniques from both sides which is a different approach from boxing. I am discouraged currently and I have a loooong way, but I plan to study and practice until my kick are perfect. I cant wait to make my orange belt. We do 3 stripes per belt, and unlike the mcdojos as you guys call them, our instructors dont hand out belts easily. Agirl just tested and i got to witness. She had to do oral, demo of techniques(mainly kicking), self-defense, and floor technique..awesome

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes you are correct if you are doing the Chon-ji set of poomsae then you are ITF

Jchetty

White Belt
Reaction score
cool...i love this art..i cant wait to get the next belt, but thats a long way:vu:

Drusilla

White Belt
Reaction score
My instructor's a 1st Dan at the moment, but he's the best 1st Dan I've ever seen. Not that I'm biased (much!) but he really knows his stuff. I'm just so proud to have him as my instructor. ;)

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor's a 1st Dan at the moment, but he's the best 1st Dan I've ever seen. Not that I'm biased (much!) but he really knows his stuff. I'm just so proud to have him as my instructor. ;)

It's ok to be biased about such things.:ultracool

setboy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do you do Taekwondo? I just wondered because I don't recognise those terms as Korean...

oops. You know what? i didn't read That this was under "Korean Martial Arts" part of this site. I don't do Taekwondo. forget i said anything

Sorry

(Mods feel free to delete these post)

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Setboy? Why apologize, it was a legitimate question and you gave a legitimate answer. I really don't see anyone on this board criticizing you for that. You do Karate, we do TKD, but the question was about the terms, not the style. As for being in the wrong area, I don't think there is any such thing, I know I tend to wander all through this site, there is just so many things to look at, read, and get information on that I normally don't run into.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Setboy? Why apologize, it was a legitimate question and you gave a legitimate answer. I really don't see anyone on this board criticizing you for that. You do Karate, we do TKD, but the question was about the terms, not the style.

I absolutely agree, it wasn't intended that way - more of a questioning if he was learning Taekwondo but with Japanese terms (which is something I've come across before and wanted to discuss if it was the case).

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I absolutely agree, it wasn't intended that way - more of a questioning if he was learning Taekwondo but with Japanese terms (which is something I've come across before and wanted to discuss if it was the case).

I'll discuss that with you" here is my take if you talk Japanese than you are teaching Japan Karate if you speak Korean then it is TKD, HKD or Korean Karate.

What is your take

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll discuss that with you" here is my take if you talk Japanese than you are teaching Japan Karate if you speak Korean then it is TKD, HKD or Korean Karate.

What is your take

I completely agree with you, but I have come across people in the past doing Taekwondo movements but with Japanese terminology for the basic movements (very weird to hear/discuss). I had hoped we had one such guy here so I could find out how that came about or his instructor's background.

But as I said, I'm with you...

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I completely agree with you, but I have come across people in the past doing Taekwondo movements but with Japanese terminology for the basic movements (very weird to hear/discuss). I had hoped we had one such guy here so I could find out how that came about or his instructor's background.

But as I said, I'm with you...

Well here is some background on me, when I first started TKD I was in Okinawa Karate before and I use to use the terminology, like saying dojo instead of dojang and Gi instead of Dobook, but I was just use to it. Then over time I become more comfibalitable with the Korean terminology. Maybe it is that way with them but they feel more comfitable with the Japanese way.

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My Instructor is a 7th Dan in YonMooKwan TKD and also a 5th Dan in YonMooKwan HKD.

blue_star_17

White Belt
Reaction score
my instructors a 4th dan... 12th dan???
are you sure???
some people have their rank on both sides of there belt...it looks like more when really it is not... my teacher has four stripes on either side of her belt and if you did not know she was a 4th dan you might think she was an 8th dan.... did they say 12th dan??? thats cool!
are you sure not a sixth dan???? with stripes on both sides???
I don't know when they started 12th dan...if this person is.....
it is cool to think so though!
icon7.gif

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Blue Star. If I may, I think maybe you are reading too much into the stripe on the belt thing, ya know? I've seen many BB's put their belt ranks on both sides of the belt. If the are 3rd dans it still means they are 3rd dans, not six dans. to have BB rank in more than one system is very common but you don't add the rank up. A 3rd dan in TKD that is a 4th Dan in Karate, it still a 3rd Dan in TKD and a 4th Dan in Karate, not a 7th Dan in the Martial Arts. An BTW, evry once in a while I will slip from Korean to Japanese and if I get really frustrated I will also go into Chinese and Viet Namese, but then, that is just me.