OP
S

Shinzu

i would have to say the nunchaku. ever since i first started the MA:karate:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by bob919
ok ok guns are the most practical but not as effective as everyone thinks i was once shot in the gut and it missed all my major organs (someone up there likes me) it hurt like hell but i still able to disarm the bastard. but i suppose if if had hi any major organs or even the minor ones it could have been alot different
A stick to the gut would hurt, but you can still disarm the guy if you can disarm somebody with a shot to the gut.

And I'm guessing the gun was a 9mm at its best.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by bob919
ok ok guns are the most practical but not as effective as everyone thinks

Yeah right, and punching someone in the stomach isn't the same as punching to the temple but I don't want either. So does that make the puncher "not as effective as you think.......?" The failure drill suggests two to the body and double tap the head.

OP
M

MartialArtist

I can't believe a shot to the gut will still make it possible to disarm a gun unless the guy didn't know what he was doing. I've seen a lot of things in my experience, I've seen a guy break another guy's hand after getting a broken arm, but after a gut, I mean WOW.

But anyway, most confrontations with a gun is 2 meters or more... So don't even try to disarm unless he really wants to kill you no matter what.

OP
B

bob919

i think it was a 6mm but as i said it missed everything just hit muscle fat and skin but i was operating on adrenaline after this

OP
S

shadowdragon

The nunchaku. So far didn't try much of the other weapons, just a little bit of tonfa and bo, they seem cool too. :cool:

OP
D

Disco

A fully loaded B-52. (Can you say Avon Calling Mr. Saddam)

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well I let mine get a bit rusty and the edge is kind of dull now, and half the time the magazine is empty but my mind is still my favorite weapon. I just have this nagging feeling that I'm going to lose it .:eek:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Still, a hollow-point should have enough stopping power no matter what caliber. A full metal jacket that was meant to penetrate will still stop you.

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My favorte is my glock 19 ( mid size 9mm ) with a 15 rd. magazine full of hollow points.

To: Martial artist,
The U.S. army always used the berreta 9mm at least until they went to Korea, in korea they were finding that a 9mm was not stopping the charging Koreans and this is when they decided to try out the colt .45 cal. wich did the job plus some.
Sometimes the cal. makes a big difference.

Hard training breeds warriors................

OP
D

Disco

DAC. When the Military was fighting in the Philippines, early 1900's against local tribes (Don't remember their name), did'nt they switch to the 45 cal then? Thought I saw that on the History Channel awhile back.

OP
A

A.R.K.

We were using the .38 caliber in the phillipines at that time. And not the .38 special of today. We did indeed switch over to .45 but contrary to popular folklore the .45 was not that much more successful.

The U.S. switched to the Beretta 9mm in the 80's. A fine choice, though not quite the equal of a Glock.

It is not hitting something that is important, it is hitting something important that is important regardless of caliber or any other factor with the exception of penatration.

Take care.

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
From what I have come to understand from many discussions a few anecdotal testaments and some studies. The 45 has the well deserved reputation for its incredible stopping power not from it's penetration. A man can live for up to 9 seconds after being shot in the heart, and a motivated individual with a weapon can kill you several times in that amount of time. A .357 has much more velocity and energy than a .45 yet it has a tendency to expend a lot of that energy on the wall behind the subject. (maybe even the next wall and then the next too!) Yep, the subject is dead, but he may not know that yet. However the .45 tends to expend most of it's 900 ft lbs into the individual and sort of slams them to the ground hence the reputation for 'stopping' power. The reason for hollow point bullits is not penetration, quite the contrary, it is so that the object that the projectile encounters absorbs more of the energy from said projectile. Unless of course you are considering a stand off with your local constabulary who wear vests then you may want to consider smaller calibers, higher velocities, teflon coated bullits, mental counseling....

OP
S

shadowdragon

Originally posted by Disco
A fully loaded B-52.

B52 is a hellish machine and I wish it would have never been built... :vu: Unless you meant the band, that could be an effective weapon :rolleyes:

OP
S

shadowdragon

Are you guys serious about liking guns so much ?? I have general dislike towards guns, never want to own and use one..... :(

OP
D

Disco

Shadowdragon, I to have no great love of guns, but they are nothing more than a tool. The sad part is that the entire world has them. The way the world society is changing, dosen't leave much room for peaceful resolves. A good example is England. The police were famous the world over for not carrying weapons. Well not any longer. Bobbies in several areas of London and other cities now carry guns. They were forced to out of a need fot self protection. But such is life. Since the dawn of time, man has and most likely will always find something to kill his fellow man with.
I guess we can call this an oxymoron = guns are a necessary evil.

OP
S

shadowdragon

You are right... maybe I did overreact when I was reading those messages... I know about the bobbies in England and even here in Finland criminals have more guns and also use them more.. during the recent years we have had violent incidents with the motorcycle gangs such as Hell's Angels and another that I think is their rival, they have been shooting each other, even in public places which before was unheard of. But I still prefer not to have a gun, I think it is safer that way. I can't remember a case where someone has used a gun in a burglary to someone's home.

OP
D

Disco

That is a shame. I always pictured Finland as a quiet and peaceful place. Now you have to deal with biker gangs. I'm ashamed that certain (reprehensibly) aspects of the American society have polluted your country. Stay safe and please accept my apology on behalf of all those and all that is good about America.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Toss up...

My Ruger P95, with the First Round a Glasser Saftey Slug. Say what you want about 9mm...

Barring that, if you mean MARTIAL ARTS WEAPON (Yeah yeah, I know, the gun IS a martial arts weapon, taught by several styles including mine) but you all know what I mean...

The Hanbo.

Mine is a military issue riot baton. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions