What's your daily training like?

Lone Wolf

White Belt
Reaction score
Was just wondering how many of you guys train daily, what exercises you do and what your maximum is (e.g 80 push ups)?

I'm personally trying to get in with the whole morning work out thing. Started rolling out of bed at 6am, doing some stretches (for kicks i do TKD so flexibility is quite important), then some jump rope, push ups and finishing with some pull ups before going to have a shower.Then in the evening ill do the same just more reps.I'm also wanting to start up training my cardio e.g cycling/ jogging as i recently stopped my close to daily swimming schedule.Still not quite sure of my maximum reps for either push ups or pull ups but it close to around 40 & 20, i'm an ectomorph so i'm planning for this to improve this massively with my new routine.so, how about you guys?

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny you should start this thread as for the past year I have started a regular routine of exercise pretty much daily. At the moment my minimum per day is:

250 push ups (varying hand position, wide, narrow, diamond etc)
250 Tri-cep dips
200 Crunches
150 Squats.

My maximum, if I have extra time, is normally double those values and so far my max is a set of 150 at a time for the push ups and dips and 50 for the crunches whilst I can do the squats in one set. I also try and jog for approximately 20 mins 3 times a week and have recently started back to body combat, which I hope to be doing twice a week on top of my martial arts training.

If you're interested the main reason I did this was because when I started off just doing 50 of each I saw a significant drop in my blood glucose level (I am diabetic) and therefore started really pushing myself which has resulted in me coming off of insulin and I can now only rely on the medication (tablets) and a (tightly) controlled diet to keep the levels low and steady.

Therefore, I feel like it is highly beneficial to me from a medical perspective and also my upper body especially has firmed up a lot in the past year which is always good and now I am slightly scared that if I stop I will lose what I have gained and may have to go back onto insulin. So trapped in a way lol. But I do love doing it in a strange way. Oh, and unfortunately I am most definitely an endomorph so I have to work hard to keep the fat off (thus a low calorie diet), and have to consistently try and do a good deal of cardio (hence the body combat again). Although I carry a good deal of muscle, I fear my stomach will always be that little bit padded :(

Last edited:

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny you should start this thread as for the past year I have started a regular routine of exercise pretty much daily. At the moment my minimum per day is:

250 Tri-cep dips
200 Crunches
150 Squats.

My maximum, if I have extra time, is normally double those values and so far my max is a set of 150 at a time for the push ups and dips and 50 for the crunches whilst I can do the squats in one set. I also try and jog for approximately 20 mins 3 times a week and have recently started back to body combat, which I hope to be doing twice a week on top of my martial arts training.

If you're interested the main reason I did this was because when I started off just doing 50 of each I saw a significant drop in my blood glucose level (I am diabetic) and therefore started really pushing myself which has resulted in me coming off of insulin and I can now only rely on the medication (tablets) and a (tightly) controlled diet to keep the levels low and steady.

Therefore, I feel like it is highly beneficial to me from a medical perspective and also my upper body especially has firmed up a lot in the past year which is always good and now I am slightly scared that if I stop I will lose what I have gained and may have to go back onto insulin. So trapped in a way lol. But I do love doing it in a strange way. Oh, and unfortunately I am most definitely an endomorph so I have to work hard to keep the fat off (thus a low calorie diet), and have to consistently try and do a good deal of cardio (hence the body combat again). Although I carry a good deal of muscle, I fear my stomach will always be that little bit padded :(
That's great news re the diabetes control, sounds like a very good reason (motivator) to be "trapped" in having to work out regularly : ) I don't believe in "diet fads" myself but, and apologies if you already realise this (and may well have done a lot of research given your condition), the food types you regularly eat, and times of their consumption, have an incredible impact on your fat percentage of body mass - and the muscle percentage that you lay down. I would be a bit wary offering diet tips to someone with a medical/diabetic condition (no offense!), as you/your doctor no doubt know your needs best, but happy to provide you some meal examples of my own that will hit that "padding", if it is peeves you.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

250 Tri-cep dips
200 Crunches
150 Squats.

That's great news re the diabetes control, sounds like a very good reason (motivator) to be "trapped" in having to work out regularly : ) I don't believe in "diet fads" myself but, and apologies if you already realise this (and may well have done a lot of research given your condition), the food types you regularly eat, and times of their consumption, have an incredible impact on your fat percentage of body mass - and the muscle percentage that you lay down. I would be a bit wary offering diet tips to someone with a medical/diabetic condition (no offense!), as you/your doctor no doubt know your needs best, but happy to provide you some meal examples and tips of my own that will hit that "padding", if it is peeves you.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's great news re the diabetes control, sounds like a very good reason (motivator) to be "trapped" in having to work out regularly : ) I don't believe in "diet fads" myself but, and apologies if you already realise this (and may well have done a lot of research given your condition), the food types you regularly eat, and times of their consumption, have an incredible impact on your fat percentage of body mass - and the muscle percentage that you lay down. I would be a bit wary offering diet tips to someone with a medical/diabetic condition (no offense!), as you/your doctor no doubt know your needs best, but happy to provide you some meal examples of my own that will hit that "padding", if it is peeves you.

No, I appreciate any help/advice you can provide. I have had to educate myself a lot concerning what I eat, but I would really like any tips you can give. I too do not agree with diet fads as I believe the only true way to lose weight and keep it off is to change your way of eating and to consitently do some form of cardio and strength styles of exercise.

Therefore, fire away, I am no nutritionalist and only really keep an eye on the amount of calories and sugar I consume so please feel free to provide those meal examples, as although I will never have a visible six pac, I would love to trim my waist down considerably as that is only where I store my fat now (arms, chest, legs etc are in good shape now).

Thanks again :)

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to run or swim in the mornings but have changed that up for high intensity interval training instead for quite a few months now. This, for me at least, is very beneficial for competition and MA training fitness and works in well with the dynamic high intensity energy bursts required. Below is an overview of my weekly training. For the interval training, I don’t have any intervals : ) I put in 50 – 60 seconds skipping or high knees (knees up to palm like in karate warm up) between each exercise.

Mon – Fri 6.00 – 6.30/6.40am. Interval trainining
Example (change it every day):
Mountain climbers non-stop for 30 secs; 60 secs skipping, http://dorkyhousewife.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/maximum-results-mountain-climber.html
Burpees with jump 30 secs; 60 secs high knees, http://www.fitmamarealfood.com/tag/burpees/
Arms Up & Down push ups x10; 60 secs skipping,
Arms overhead Abs 30 secs; 60 secs high knees,
Push Ups and side plank x10; 60 secs skipping, http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20361603_2,00.html
Elbow to Knee Side Crunches x10 each side; 60 secs high knees,
Speed skaters 30 secs; 60 secs skipping, http://www.coreexercisestudio.com/biggest-loser-week-5-–-strength-move/
Jump lunges 30 secs; 60 secs high knees, http://0.tqn.com/d/exercise/1/0/r/2/1/plyolunge.jpg
Lizard Push Ups x10; mountain climbers x20, http://www.with-an-open-mind.com/2013/11/07/strength-exercises-for-runners/total-body-5-02/
Sumo twists x10 each side; mountain climbers x20 http://the-exercist.tumblr.com/post/47221721125/sumo-twist

Dynamic leg stretches (front/rear/side) 5 minutes, cool down yoga for legs and shoulders 5 mins or so (…kids waking up)

Mon – Fri - Lunch break 12.30 – 1.30pm (unless stuck on phone with customer) Gym/heavy weights, each exercise x3 sets.
Mon – legs (some lower back): squats, dead lifts, standing calf raises, abductor/adductors, hamstring curls, standing dumbbell calf raises.
Tues - chest & back (super-setting): flat bench dumbbell press / upright rows, incline bench dumbbell press / one arm rows, upper chest cable cross overs / upper back seated dumbbell flies, lower chest cable cross overs, seated pulldowns.
Weds – biceps & tris (super-setting): ezibar bicep curls / ezibar skull crushers, dumbbell curls / cable bar pull downs, preacher curls / cable overhead pull downs, brachial side raises / tricep dumbbell kickbacks.
Thrs – shoulders & traps (super-setting): seated dumbbell shoulder press / Olympic bar front shrugs, Olympic bar rear seated shoulder press / Olympic bar rear shrugs, dumbell side raises / dumbbell rolling shrugs, dumbbell front raises / cable bar pull ups.
Fri – bonus day strength training, clean and jerks, back extensions, pull ups, different chest and bicep angles.

Mon 8 – 10pm Karate club training.
Weds 8 – 10pm Karate club training.
Sunday – bag work, grappling and ground work training.
Saturday 6.30am – 7.30am – 1 hour cross country run in the woods.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not counting the physical fitness I do with my students in classes
Every morning 1-1.5 mile brisk walk
50 squats
3 minutes stationary low horse stance
50 crunches
30 minutes 8 count body builders
50 10 count pushups on knuckles

Mon-Sat Mid-day
2 mile run
12 3 minute muay thai rounds on heavy bag
Last 30 sec each round all out speed and power blast
30 sec break between rounds

Mon-Wed-Fri late afternoon 5-5:40
Kettlebell workout and strength training (not body building)

Mon & Wed
Submission Wrestling 1 hr
Muay Thai 1hr

Tue & Thurs
Private instruction Submission Wrestling 45 min.
Adult Beginners instruction 1 hr
Adult Advanced instruction 1 hr

Fri.
Wing Chun private instruction 45 min
Adult Beginners instruction 1 hr

Sat.
Private instruction
Adult Advance instruction 1 hr
Muay Thai 1 hr
4 hr workshops or private instructions

Sunday
Morning workout only

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dany T - would be obliged, if you get the time to add more detail, if you let us know what you strength training comprises of?
Are those private instruction courses things you are taking or tuition you are giving? You got a very impressivly full week there. I used to be able to squeeze some MA training in the lunch hour most days too but these days am based far from any decent clubs during the working day so hit the local gym instead for weights.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Loosely like this.

6:30 AM is some mobility work, foam rolling, etc.

work from 8:30-3:30

3:30 is a gym session. Monday, Wednesday and Friday is heavy work, barbell lifts, low-ish reps and heavy weights. The squat, Deadlift, bench press and overhead press are the main work lifts. Tuesday and Thursday is weightlifting (the sport of weightlifting, so the clean and jerk and the snatch) work. Light weights right now to work on technique and flexibility.

6:30-8:30 on Tuesday and Thursday nights is my actual MA work, Judo. 6-7 on Mondays is yoga if I feel up to it.

9:30PM is usually some more recovery work. An incline walk, foam rolling, mobility drills. I usually get to sleep by around 1030.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My primary exercise is doing BJJ 5-6 days per week. I do yoga (to work out the knots from BJJ) probably 3 days per week on average, but it varies according to the my mood. I do a bit of kickboxing or bag work 1-2 times per week. Beyond that I do sporadic supplemental exercises (pushups, pullups, squats, kettlebells, tai chi) as the inspiration strikes me. Some weeks I'm motivated for the supplemental exercises, other weeks not at all.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just wondering how many of you guys train daily, what exercises you do and what your maximum is (e.g 80 push ups)?

I'm personally trying to get in with the whole morning work out thing. Started rolling out of bed at 6am, doing some stretches (for kicks i do TKD so flexibility is quite important), then some jump rope, push ups and finishing with some pull ups before going to have a shower.Then in the evening ill do the same just more reps.I'm also wanting to start up training my cardio e.g cycling/ jogging as i recently stopped my close to daily swimming schedule.Still not quite sure of my maximum reps for either push ups or pull ups but it close to around 40 & 20, i'm an ectomorph so i'm planning for this to improve this massively with my new routine.so, how about you guys?

My days will usually vary, however, I'm usually dong something, every day. I try to make it to class 2-3 times a week. Depending on the day I'm there, strength training (body weight exercises) are done. This consists of ab work, 100 sit ups, non stop, push ups, usually 40-80 on the knuckles, 40 leg raises, and 40 squats.

My at home workout: That'll vary. One workout I like to do is with a deck of cards. I keep the jokers in the deck too. All face cards are sit ups and leg raises. I'll do 10 of each. Any red number card is push ups. I do whatever the number says. I'll do regular, wide grip, close grip, knuckle. Any black card is squats. The jokers are wild cards, so I do 10 of wherever I decide to place the card. I'll do the entire deck, with little to no rest in between cards. Needless to say, I'm pretty spent by the end. IMO, that's a heck of a workout, and anyone not tired, sweating, etc, by completion, isn't working hard enough. If I'm not doing that, I'll just do sets of push ups, sit ups, etc. Whatever I feel like doing. The other day I did 100 push ups. I started with 1, then did 2, etc, all the way to 10, then worked back down to 1. I'd try to rest as little as possible in between. Cardio at home: Again, that'll vary. Some days I'll do sets of burpees, mountain climbers, and squats. 10 reps of each, as many sets as I can, with little rest in between. I live in a condo. Walking around the block is a 1/2 mi. I'll walk with the dog a few times, and then with my wife. Weather depending, I'll go 1-1/2mi. with the dog each time. All total, I like to average as many miles as possible, aiming for 5+. Keep in mind, this walking isn't a casual stroll. It's a power walk. I also have a weighted vest that I sometimes wear, which of course, adds more to the walk.

At the gym: I go 3-4 times/week. My workouts vary. Sometimes I'll do a full body circuit, using machines. If I'm doing that, I'll do 1-2 sets. Reps: that varies depending on what I feel like. Other days, I'll do chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders/legs. Abs are always done. Cardio at the gym: 15-30min, usually depending on time. What I do will vary. Sometimes it's the bike, others the elliptical, others treadmill.

Of course, some days, I get up and I don't feel like doing anything. It's always good to give your body a rest.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
i like to put in a good two hours of consecutive training and at least 30 minutes of intensive training
i might work on kobudo, goju ryu karate ,kung fu, and or stretches(stretches being first afcoarse)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dany T - would be obliged, if you get the time to add more detail, if you let us know what you strength training comprises of?
Are those private instruction courses things you are taking or tuition you are giving? You got a very impressivly full week there. I used to be able to squeeze some MA training in the lunch hour most days too but these days am based far from any decent clubs during the working day so hit the local gym instead for weights.
Strength training - sledge hammer pounding tractor tires with 16 or 20 lb hammers, flipping tractor tires, Bench press, Military press, Triceps press, Biceps curls, Calf raises, Leg press, leg curls; all consists of low reps with max less 5-10 lbs depending on the exercise. 75lb sandbag press.
The private training listed is me instructing and working with the student.
I own the training center and have the time to train as well as instruct.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Strength training - sledge hammer pounding tractor tires with 16 or 20 lb hammers, flipping tractor tires, Bench press, Military press, Triceps press, Biceps curls, Calf raises, Leg press, leg curls; all consists of low reps with max less 5-10 lbs depending on the exercise. 75lb sandbag press.
The private training listed is me instructing and working with the student.
I own the training center and have the time to train as well as instruct.
Thanks. I have checked out the tractor tire pounding but have never done it myself though! Looks fun in a crazy way : )

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Loosely like this.

6:30 AM is some mobility work, foam rolling, etc.

work from 8:30-3:30

3:30 is a gym session. Monday, Wednesday and Friday is heavy work, barbell lifts, low-ish reps and heavy weights. The squat, Deadlift, bench press and overhead press are the main work lifts. Tuesday and Thursday is weightlifting (the sport of weightlifting, so the clean and jerk and the snatch) work. Light weights right now to work on technique and flexibility.

6:30-8:30 on Tuesday and Thursday nights is my actual MA work, Judo. 6-7 on Mondays is yoga if I feel up to it.

9:30PM is usually some more recovery work. An incline walk, foam rolling, mobility drills. I usually get to sleep by around 1030.
Yes, I put in quite a lot of time (well as much as I can fit in) these days on rehab and hard foam roller also (or outdoor-hockey ball - painful but recommend!) for legs, back and shoulders. It works wonders for me.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I put in quite a lot of time (well as much as I can fit in) these days on rehab and hard foam roller also (or outdoor-hockey ball - painful but recommend!) for legs, back and shoulders. It works wonders for me.

I find a golf ball in the arch of my foot pretty good as well. I have a hockey ball in my briefcase for work as well as my gym bag :)

flo

White Belt
Reaction score
Here is mine, you might find it strange. It's more specific to my art I am practicing.

I do handstand balancing. For stamina, I do explosive leaps, 38 inch plus jumps.

I also relax, does that count as training.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do a 30 minute workout every day. I practice the first two wing chun forms at least once a day. When I am walking around, I practice my hand techniques in the air. Whenever I have to stand somewhere, I sink into my stance. Also sometimes when I walk around, I will practice kicking at things...not full force, but just to make sure my range is right.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I try to let my right hand to grab on my left wrist.

- My right hand tries to hold on my left wrist as tight as possible.
- My left arm tries to break my right hand grip as hard as possible.

The problem is every time I (my mind) don't know I should let my right hand win, or to let my left hand win.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's that diet I sent over to Mauthos, fel free to give it a go if you like.

The key is to stock your fridge and keep it stocked with protein/meat/fish so you never reach for the evil goodies when hungry and you need to get your game organised for the work place so to make this doable.

Breakfast 7am: One fillet white fish (sole/plaice/sea bass), handful olives, watercress, every other day half avocado, big handful blueberries

[Out the door, 8/8.30am Protein shake (instead of powder can use soya or almond milk (never with regular milk!) with couple eggs or just egg whites thrown in) – optional] – You only need this dose if you are putting on muscle

10.30am diced venison or v lean steak (cooked when cooking breakfast at home and taken to work), watercress, green leaves, mixed olives, few cherry tomatoes, carrot, other half of avocado (often have tuna, white fish cooked from home or salmon instead of steak/venison)

12pm (pre-gym lunch) half grilled chicken

12.40 – 1.40pm Gym – work permitting

Immediately post gym high protein/low carb protein shake with additional BCAAs - You only need this dose if you are putting on muscle/training in lunch time

2pm other half grilled chicken, some peppers, cucumber (sweet potato for muscle bulk carbs)

4pm 120gm smoked salmon (or tuna - tuna in a can fine and cheap), raspberries

Dinner One or two fillets white fish (sole/plaice/sea bass/sea bream), green leaves, broccoli, carrot, blueberries

Snacks Heaps of berries, some fruit

Before sleep (i) Protein shake (can be home made, ie almond milk (you get used to it quick), couple/three egg whites (I keep the yolks in too as can’t be stuffed just whites); or (ii) some chicken or fish.

Comments:
Mix it up but the aim is to pack in the protein servings staggered through the day and dump almost all the carbs initially and then only eat good carbs (ie from whole foods (brown rice, wild rice, sweet potatoe), and if possible after training) and alternate different protein sources where possible, ie not all chicken, definitely not all red meat/steak. When you’re peckish stuff your gob with berries etc and dump all the chocolates and sugar drinks out of the house, cut back on the booze (sorry).

I have a busy job and long hours so can testify as long as your work has a fridge, this diet is viable, you simply need to be eating when you are working (I admit may be harder/impossible if you work with your hands or do labour to find the time for all those meal hits as I just read and type as I chew). The protein and fish does make it an expensive way to eat but if you want to lean up but retain muscle, ie not loose the fat just via running which will also burn muscle, then this is the kind of diet for you.

Breakfast is almost as quick as making porridge, white fish such as the above cooks in 6 – 8 mins max in the pan, and you either cook your other piece of fish for 10.30am at the same time or in another pan cook your steak (I can get some venison relatively cheap from local market (and sometimes in the super market) and it is leaner than the beef)
You need to bring in some stuff such as the 10.30am meal from home otherwise too expensive simply buying this on the trot (I get the other stuff on way to work from the supermarket and put in in the work fridge.
If you buy a shake, check it is high protein and low carb, not a 50/50 split.

Ditch the coffee and drink a cup of green tea with every/almost every meal – green tea is “stated” to be a metabolism booster and to aid in digestion.
Keep your water intake at a good level also.

You don’t need the sweet potato or brown rice at first but after month or so phase it in, as on just the protein is hard to retain or build any muscle size. To maintain energy levels if you are to dump the carbs you need all of the above protein hits.

This is similar to a weight lifting diet but is just as effective for martial arts and competition, it has been working for me and my energy levels when fighting (or runnning cross country for up to an hour) have not suffered. If you are doing serious endurance events, then obviously you will need more wholefood carbs.

Obviously Mauthos has to take this in the context of his diabtes so any one out there with any conditions needs to take that into consideration. Since being on this diet for a few months and staying away from all processed foods and fast foods it has made me realise how much rubbsih must be in those food types. The odd time I have been caught short and wolfed down a big mac or kfc (actually kfc didn't really have any bad effect) I have felt like puking or running to the can within half an hour - body not used to the synthetic food I guess.