What's With the Incosistent Terminology?

Budster

White Belt
Reaction score

Both titled "Ikkyo Undo". Both very different. Am I missing something? I've seen inconsistent terminology elsewhere too. But I would think that Ikkyo Undo is such a basic thing that it should mean the same thing no matter where you are in the world.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, Budster, it's not that you're missing anything. Martial Arts have a lot of varying terminologies. Heck, Martial Arts have a lot of varying everything.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
in my opinion, ikkyo is the technique. undo tends to be used in place of the word exercise and both of those vids are termed ikkyo undo because they relate to the technique of ikkyo. confusing yes but not incorrect or contradicting.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, Budster, it's not that you're missing anything. Martial Arts have a lot of varying terminologies. Heck, Martial Arts have a lot of varying everything.
Agree, it is crazy how much variance there is in Korean terminology. Almost as bad as the English language.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not just martial arts... i.e. 2-may-toe vs. tah-mah-toe.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Both titled "Ikkyo Undo". Both very different. Am I missing something? I've seen inconsistent terminology elsewhere too. But I would think that Ikkyo Undo is such a basic thing that it should mean the same thing no matter where you are in the world.
Some of this comes from non-native Japanese speakers (and at least as often, folks who don't actually speak Japanese at all) using the terms as they understand them, which may or may not be true to the way native speakers would use them. This creates drift as terms evolve along diverging paths.

In this case, I believe @hoshin1600 is correct, and the term is used properly (as I understand it, which is probably less than the instructors in both videos) in both cases. It's like if I said, "We're going to do a single-leg takedown drill today." That could be any one of several different approaches to the single-leg, or even one of many movement drills for getting the entry to the technique. It could be from kneeling or standing, upright (more like a common MMA approach) or leaning forward (more like a common collegiate wrestling approach).

Latest Discussions