What's the English word for this move ?

shc89

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello. I'm practicing the move where you are lying on your back and from that position using your arms and your whole body get yourself in the stand up position in one explosive movement. Hope i explained it right and I'm sure all of you have seen it somewhere especially in the movies. I am wondering whats the english word for that move, because I am looking for some tutorials. Thanks.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, that's it...for those athletic enough to do it. For me it's called "Ow! Damn, that hurt.":boing2:

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The last time I remember performing that move was in junior high. Lately, my 10 y/o has been trying to do this...some things never change.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that's it...for those athletic enough to do it. For me it's called "Ow! Damn, that hurt.":boing2:

Even back when I could do it reliably, I still preferred the good ol' Koho Kaiten (Backward Roll) to stand up. If I'm on my back, I want to move away from my opponent while I gain my feet, just me. Plus... going into a kneeling position prepares you for another roll if necessary :ultracool

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, from a a practical basis from what I've heard the safest and most effective is to (what is called in BJJ, and I guess other disciplines) "stand in base" as it can be done easily and still allows you to maintain a protective posture

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, from a a practical basis from what I've heard the safest and most effective is to (what is called in BJJ, and I guess other disciplines) "stand in base" as it can be done easily and still allows you to maintain a protective posture

Yes this is a very practical way to get up!
icon14.gif

OP
S

shc89

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah that's the move I was talking about. I'm also not sure how often would I really use it in a fight but the main reason I'm learning it is because of a challenge. "Ow! Damn, that hurt." this might be the real name of the move for me too :D Thanks for the help people.

Latest Discussions