What are the words when they count??

M

MissTwisties

I went to see a class yesterday. I was wondering what are the words they pronounced while doing repeating movements of stretching/training? It sound like they are counting...since I speak french, my ear is different to sounds in english, even worse for Korean words!!!

Sound like they say do si do..bla bla bla....lol thank for the help!! ;)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm.

Most Korean martial artists count in Korean, so you might be hearing something like this:

Hana (one)
Dul (two)
Set (three)
Net (four)

... and so on. You'll find that the spelling in English of the phonetic translation often differ - quite a bit - from school to school even, sometimes.

My advice is to ask the instructor for a terminology sheet - Korean language that students are expected to learn - and go from there.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Spelling may vary and d and t are sometimes exchanged( Tol/dol - tasot/dosot) but basically

1 hanah
2 dol
3 set
4 net
5 dasot
6 yasot
7 ilgop
8 yadol
9 ahop
10 yool

oops I was beat to it. hit post and saw she's post. :p

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
You'll find that the spelling in English of the phonetic translation often differ - quite a bit - from school to school even, sometimes.

Makes doing web searches a challenge sometimes

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
You'll find that the spelling in English of the phonetic translation often differ - quite a bit - from school to school even, sometimes.

Makes doing web searches a challenge sometimes
That's the truth, all kinds of slight variations, but all sound somewhat similar, same with orders like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th . . . Il, ee, som -or sahm, sa-or saa-or sah . . .

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I never understood the desire or drive to do that. The first time I encountered it I thought to myself 'What, do our pushups count for more if we count in a foreign language?'

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some people think that it occupies the mind so that you don't think about the fatigue or how many you're actually doing, thus training the mind.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Some people think that it occupies the mind so that you don't think about the fatigue or how many you're actually doing, thus training the mind.
That's kind of twisted, but probably true.:)

Using Korean terms simply honors the place where your art originated. In my experience, most Koreans are very happy to learn you are learning a little bit of their language and culture.

Miles

OP
J

Jim Tindell

Most butcher the pronounciation when saying Korean terms in class.
According to one girl from Seoul, "Dobok" can mean uniform, or gambling... depending on how you pronounce it. So you might be telling your students, "Go put on your gambling!"

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jim Tindell said:
Most butcher the pronounciation when saying Korean terms in class.
According to one girl from Seoul, "Dobok" can mean uniform, or gambling... depending on how you pronounce it. So you might be telling your students, "Go put on your gambling!"
you are correct....dobok with a long 'o' sound means your uniform, dobok(pronounced like dobak) means gamble....

the best reason I've ever heard for the foreign terminology is that when you come to the gym to practice you should be focused your training and forget about all your problems and worries from the outside world, using a different language is just another way to help distance you from the your normal routine...

OP
J

Jim Tindell

That is true. We usually went through terminology during warm-ups while we were stretching, and tried to throw it into our regular training. We'd also go through the symbolism of the South Korean flag, USA flag, yadda yadda yadda.

I haven't went through any terminology with students lately, for fear of messing up on the pronounciation. I don't want to train the kids to say things the wrong way. Is there any kind of phonetics website for these words?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it's pretty simple...a is pronounced ah, e is pronounced a(like hay), i is pronounced e(bee), o is pronounced o (like oh), u is pronounced oo(like cool)....

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most tournaments that I have seen (precious few) using Korea terminology for various parts of the match and scoring, so understanding at least basic counting and the words that apply to sparring, stances, attacks, etc...is very helpful.

This seems to help in international competition.

Musicians have a language "d.s al coda, hit one hard on the downbeat, ritard, swing eighths and shuffle" Most hobbies and professions have their own way of speaking known really ony to those in the know... MAs have a language as well. In TKd, that just happens to be based on Korean.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exactly...just as ballet uses French and most western music uses Italian, most martial arts use their language of origin for terminology

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jim Tindell said:
I haven't went through any terminology with students lately, for fear of messing up on the pronounciation. I don't want to train the kids to say things the wrong way. Is there any kind of phonetics website for these words?
Mr. Tindell, Turtle Press (www.turtlepress.com) has a CD on Korean Terminology-Master Sang Kim says the word in his native Korean, you repeat it....it is great for practicing your terminology in the car.

Miles

Latest Discussions