What was your first Rock Concert?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

Really? Slayer? You went straight for the HARD stuff :) Like skipping cigarettes, booze and pot and going directly to mainlining heroin!

First Concert
Jethro Tull - I believe it was the Heavy Horses tour

Nice! Sad they kind of faded away. I always liked Tull, wish I coulda seen 'em.

Here's my first:

It must have been about '81 or '82, in southern Cali. My buddy and his buddy both broke up with their girlfriends two days before a Billy Squier concert so they had 2 extra tickets — invited ME to go! Woot! Def Leppard was the opening act which, at the time, had only one hit to speak of: "Bringin' On the Heartbreak."

Only it rained. Caught us completely by surprise as that doesn't happen very often in southern Cali. And we were completely soaked and, wearing nothing but Members Only jackets, freezing our butts off (must of been as low as 60 degrees!!!!) for something like over two hours. Wet, cold, miserable.

FINALLY Def Leppard hits the stage. About halfway through the show, Billy comes stumble-dancing out on the stage. Def Leppard are visibly uncomfortable since, at THAT time Billy was the Huge Star and they were almost nobodies hoping for the Big Time.

Somebody comes from backstage to coax Billy offstage, so he waves to the crowd as he is hustled offstage.

Def Leppard finishes their set and, again, we are waiting: Wet, cold, miserable.

We bailed before Billy started. Can't remember if I heard he actually played that night and, if so, how long they had to wait until he was sober enough to prop up in front of a mic.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First Ever concert I can remember was Gary Wright on his Dream Weaver Tour... was front row too... (ok, ok festival seating which meant if you fought hard enough you can worm your way up to the front)... Still a memorable concert (for me).

Other concerts included: not in order of course
Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA tour in the Dallas Cotton Bowl... the only place big enough to hold it since he was THAT popular then.
Bob Seger Against The Wind Tour Washington D.C.
Robert Plant: Principle Of Moments Tour (Phil Collins was guest drummer and some "mystery guitarist that was always wrapped up around his head but lots of people swore it was Jimmy Page)
Janet Jackson: Rhythm Nation 1814 Tour in Salt Lake City, some guy had his date cancel last moment on him and he didn't want to be stuck with an extra ticket... NO!
:mad: I was not his Scab Date!!! :lol:
Grass Roots, Beach Boys 4th Of July Concert at the Mall in Washington D.C. t'was awesome to say the least.
Huey Lewis And The News: Fore Tour in Dallas, TX where they had the Cowboys come out and help sing Hip To Be Square That was an "extra-ticket" invite thing.
Stevie Nicks: Other Side Of The Mirror Tour (hey, it was a first date kinda thing...the only way I could get that hottie to go out with me... :uhyeah: )
KISS: Love Gun Tour in Birmingham Alabama
Chuck Mangione: Feel So Good Tour in Chattanooga TN
Triumph: Allied Forces Tour In Chattanooga, TN
Atlanta Rhythm Section in Chattanooga TN
Bad Company in Nashville TN... The original band with Paul Roberts in the lead
Cheap Trick in Chattanooga TN
In Oct. 19th 1977 I had tickets to go see Lynyrd Skynyrd but that was a day before the plane crash that killed the lead singer Ronnie Van Zant and a couple other band members... I never had the desire to go see the band since they reformed... just wouldn't have been the same without Ronnie.
I think I was going to head up to Louisville KY to see Alice Cooper on his '79 tour but that morning my mother had passed away.
I know I've seen a few more in between all of them listed but well the erasing properties of marijuana smoke (yes, I inhaled!!) just prevents any clear recollection. :idunno: hey... young and stupid back then.
But OH WHAT A BLAST!

Oh yeah... last concert?...
Steppenwolf: Dallas Texas in a small venue but still so cool.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last one = George Thorogood

Gonna see Dropkick Murphys in a couple weeks. Living Colour in March, and then Reverend Horton Heat in April. It's shaping up to be a good concert year.
icon14.gif

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last concert?

Aerosmith in St. Louis — just before Mr. Tyler fell off the stage a few concerts later.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ironic that my first and last concerts were by the same band: Kiss.

Early 90's, Irvine Amphitheater and more recently in Vancouver.

In between, I've seen (not necessarily in this order) The Kinks, Jethro Tull, U2, The Red Hot Chili Peppers (when they were wearing *socks* and playing dives) Peter Gabriel (joy!) Genesis (Dodger Stadium, dude), Ratt (Poison opened for them) Michael Jackson (floor seating in the teens - twice! - it was awesome), Pink Floyd, The Artist Formerly Known As Prince, David Bowie and ... likely a few more I can't remember. :uhyeah:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ironic that my first and last concerts were by the same band: Kiss.

Early 90's, Irvine Amphitheater and more recently in Vancouver.

In between, I've seen (not necessarily in this order) The Kinks, Jethro Tull, U2, The Red Hot Chili Peppers (when they were wearing *socks* and playing dives) Peter Gabriel (joy!) Genesis (Dodger Stadium, dude), Ratt (Poison opened for them) Michael Jackson (floor seating in the teens - twice! - it was awesome), Pink Floyd, The Artist Formerly Known As Prince, David Bowie and ... likely a few more I can't remember. :uhyeah:
Thats not irony, its coincidence.:)
sean

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My last "rock" concert was, I beleive, Rush the Test for Echo tour or it might have been Kiss on one of thier many farewell tours.... I will have to see if I still have my old ticket collection. Actually I think Kiss was 2000 which was after Rush so likely it was Kiss

Latest Discussions