What type of Martial Artist are you?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Interesting spin...:)

I guess my point is that you can study authentic fighting arts and play with them at a tournament, but you can't study playful arts and apply them as an authentic fighting method...

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
I guess my point is that you can study authentic fighting arts and play with them at a tournament, but you can't study playful arts and apply them as an authentic fighting method...
Depends on what is meant by the term "authentic"..which I have a problem with this term same as "genuine".

okinawagojuryu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I always say I am traditional , but yet realistic . However , Karate for me , now , is much more than the physical aspect . It is about having a good heart , devolping yourself in a positive manner , perfection of character , & leading by example . I believe , as an Okinawan karate practicioner , you cannot seperate the culture , & customs from the teachings , it is all one in the same .

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jjmcc said:
I see that you are more about the self defence aspect of MA
You say you study tae kwon do i feel that is more sport orientated than self defence wing chun YES but im not so sure about tae kwon do SORRY..........
Try not to get too caught up in the name. One TKD instructor will run his class in a wildly different way to the next one.

J

jjmcc

Adept said:
Try not to get too caught up in the name. One TKD instructor will run his class in a wildly different way to the next one.
Yes but correct me if im wrong TKD consists of large motion kicks ie: Turning kicks, Spinning back kicks how can this be used in a everyday fight in the street this is where close combat MA take over..

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
jjmcc said:
Yes but correct me if im wrong TKD consists of large motion kicks ie: Turning kicks, Spinning back kicks how can this be used in a everyday fight in the street this is where close combat MA take over..
Ah, but you only see this in a sport form. The way that many, once they get their black belt and open, present it.

I had the fortune to study TKD strictly under a Korean. He was militant. Defense was not of high kicking.

Gone are these days because many Korean instructors, whom came abroad, hurried the belt ranking process to have more "sub-instructors", thus opening more schools and large promotion and publicity.

Thus these instructors, have only known the "sport-high kicking" aspect of it. Thus they teach a have "sub-instructors" do the same

Latest Discussions