What to train for reality?

MasterArtMason

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I want to ask the people with real self defense experience (bouncers, police officers) what they think are the most common attacks that a person should prepare for. The reason that I ask is because I have 35 years of martial arts experience but a lot of what I have learned is theoretical and not necessarily practical. I'm at the stage of my life where I'd like to find out what is effective in self defense from people who live it everyday and not just someone who claims to be a "reality self defense" master. Thank you in advance.

This is an excellent post, but a lot has to do with mental preparation.I am 33 years, and sadly have been in some bad situations. The only issue with looking to police and bouncers for advice is they live in a very different world. When one of these professionals gets into a situation the attacker knows he has a challenge. For the average person, assuming it is an attack and not a bar fight, the attacker is not expecting a problem. That is why he chose you. You have the element of surprise, and as long as you do respond, your skills should come out.

MasterArtMason

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I want to ask the people with real self defense experience (bouncers, police officers) what they think are the most common attacks that a person should prepare for. The reason that I ask is because I have 35 years of martial arts experience but a lot of what I have learned is theoretical and not necessarily practical. I'm at the stage of my life where I'd like to find out what is effective in self defense from people who live it everyday and not just someone who claims to be a "reality self defense" master. Thank you in advance.

This seems to be a really decent YouTube channel on the subject.

Active Self Protection

Some interesting stuff here.

BobMc526

White Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't attempt an arm lock when a punch in the now will work. I am not a cop, bouncer or military and I would not insult the individuals in those professions by supposing to have the experience that they do. That being said the original question was regarding actual self defense scenarios, which I do have a little experience with as a civilian. My experience is that the best self defense is awareness. Removing yourself from a that requires physical defense is best. If that is not an option be aware of your attacker. Is he drunk/high, does look fit, does he move with the grace and confidence of someone who's physically capable, does he have a weapon in hand, are his hands concealed, etc. My suggestion is to go simple, fast and hard. The simpler the technique you can get by with, the better. My rule, is that if I am forced to engage someone physically, I'm not stopping or slowing down until they are no longer a threat.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BobMc - welcome to MartialTalk, bro.

Latest Discussions