What to do when the opponent is in offense?

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

When we spar in class, I noticed that instinctively I draw backwards when the opponent attacks me with fists and kicks.
I also noticed that I don’t manage to turn from defense to offense until the opponent stops throwing combinations at me.

I read that when being in defense, you need to turn aside in order to get out of the line of attack of the opponent.
I guess that would give me a brief moment to turn back to offense.

I wonder, is there anything else one should do together with turning aside, or any important things one should know about how to turn aside smartly?

From you experience, does it really cut off the opponent's attack and let you start attacking him?

Thank you fellas.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Try a groin kick.

It doesn't have to be a devastating, or even damaging kick. You just need to get it in there and that will stop his forward momentum.

When an attack comes in and contacts with the groin area, people have an automatic defensive reaction to pull the hips back, and often pull the hands down to block. It is very difficult to overcome this reaction reflex.

So if he is charging in swinging, whip a front kick into the groin to stop him. It may only last a fraction of a second before he recovers, but it gives you a chance to launch your own attack.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Always be moving forward man, never backward. Move lateraly but never backpedal because you open yourself up as you step backward no matter how good you thing your guard is.

Also I would suggest studying "sabaki." Its a pretty well thought out method of movement within a fight.

Akira

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey congratulations on this post, sounds like you're starting to put everything together in your head and now you're noticing your (lack of) footwork.

A good time to turn to the side is when you're stuck in the corner. It's literally just putting your right foot back and across behind your left foot, then pivoting on your front foot. I also usually put my hand up onto the back of their head when I'm turning like this as well, which makes it easy to tie them up and start throwing knees into them while they're stuck in the corner like a spazz. You don't have to use your hand like this, it's just something I do.

Now, instead of moving in a straight line when your opponent is attacking you, try moving in a circle around them. If you haven't worked it out yet, fighting is about angles, and this will get you out of your opponents line of attack, and create a great opportunity for you to counter attack.

Finally, instead of just blocking or covering up when you're getting pummled by your opponent, try hitting him. A good jab or a teep kick at the right time will interrupt their combination and stop them from coming forward. I used to spar (boxing not muay thai) a Spanish guy with really heavy hands who smashed me so many times. He would throw several 3/4 hit combinations in a row and it always pushed me back onto the ropes. The way I eventually stopped him doing it was by punching him at the right time when he was attacking me, just a quick, hard jab, and also by using good footwork to circle around rather then just going straight backwards. If you're going to do this, make sure you have a fantastic guard and be ready to swift your head out of the way of those punches.

If you keep going backwards in a straight line, your opponent is just going to keep hitting you and coming forward. Another option you have when they are kicking you is to teep/push kick them when they start their kick. Because they have one foot in the air you'll push them backwards and they'll lose their balance. You might need to practice this slowly with a partner first. Have them throw a slow kick to your ribs, and instead of blocking it, teep kick them. You'll figure the timing out.

PS don't kick anyone in the groin when you're sparring, they'll probably knee you in the balls. Not only that but they'll probably be wearing a box and you'll just hurt your foot. You're not going to do it when you're in the ring so don't get into the habit of doing it now, unless you want people to start hating you.

Last edited:

Wagonmancer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It also depends what they're throwing at you. Certain reactions are better for certain attacks to better defend and position yourself. Breaking back into offense depends on your position and theirs. There's more to it than just pivots. Angles basically like Akira said.

OP
A

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Omar and Akira, thank you very much.

Before posting this message, I thought that all I need to do is moving in circles, just turning aside when the opponent starts attacking me, but you gave here some great techniques, Akira.

Thank you guys :)

Rob2109

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
+1 For what Akira said about not fighting in a straight line, i'm a south-paw so i try to stay on their weak side mostly when sparring. If you can see they're coming forward a low push kick to just above the knee will catch them on the hop and usually give you the space to attack.

Edit: Also try the training technique where you defend against an attack and instantly attack back, the other guy takes turns to do the same. It'll get you into the habit of giving it back where possible instead of defending all the time and taking it. You'll start to see more openings that way.

Last edited:

mariaclara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yup! avoid backpedal in straight line. move to the side. like in Aikido.

our coach started us off with diagonal side-shuffling steps(tsugi-ashi)
simultaneously turning to Uke.

feels awkward at first, but after a couple thousand X, feels ok. another thousand or so X, you get your balance and can punch,kick,knee.

(yep. our coach loves to give us drills - like evade. then 1000 Left Rndhse, then same on the Right and so on. Sometimes he just clicks on his topwatch and tells us keep evading/kickin for 2min. 10secs rest another 2mins..)

Last edited:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just remember an opponent is almost never easier to hit, never more "open", than when they are focused on trying to hit you.

Counterfight.

OP
A

alphacat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you so much fellas.
So many good advices :)

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Use a 360 degree range of motion... backwards and forwards are not the only way to go... neither is side to side...
Dont absorb the attack or fumble over defensive techniques... rotate outside the line of attack and use deflection to reroute thier advance...
Strike as you move...

You dont have to stand ther ducking, shucking and jiving either...