what style is based on a lot of grabbing and locks?

Pianodude132

White Belt
Reaction score
i train tang soo do and i have found myself during sparring doing a lot of grabbing and manipulation, arm locks wrist locks just grabbing the arm etc, i wanna train in a style that specifies in that, what style would that be? i talked to my sensai and he said he doesn't suggest training at another dojo yet, he said hapkido is pretty much taught the same thing we teach, but i wanna learn more

edit:
i guess i'm looking for something a little more like deadly combat related? ill be joining the marines soon because i wanna use my martial arts in that way

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrestling and judo will teach what to do when someone's grabbing you or you're grabbing them. Both are heavy on throws.

I'm sure the Marine Corps will teach you sufficiently too.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
edit:
i guess i'm looking for something a little more like deadly combat related? ill be joining the marines soon because i wanna use my martial arts in that way
To clarify this: you are joining the marines specifically because you want to use your martial arts in a deadly way?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Aikido, BJJ, Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Wrestling, and many other hybrid/mixed styles. In fact, I think it is almost everywhere to some extent. Even boxing includes (not allowed(?) neither practical with big gloves) 'grappling' to some extent. (Often just hugging but quite effective defence).

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the USMC Combatives program is largely based upon Thai Boxing and GJJ, of course with many other influences as well. If you want to get a good start for that, you might consider seeing out instruction one or both of those.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the USMC Combatives program is largely based upon Thai Boxing and GJJ, of course with many other influences as well. If you want to get a good start for that, you might consider seeing out instruction one or both of those.

However he shouldn't expect to use them on the battlefield unless it's in a Forlorn Hope.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
i train tang soo do and i have found myself during sparring doing a lot of grabbing and manipulation, arm locks wrist locks just grabbing the arm etc, i wanna train in a style that specifies in that, what style would that be? i talked to my sensai and he said he doesn't suggest training at another dojo yet, he said hapkido is pretty much taught the same thing we teach, but i wanna learn more

edit:
Marines use guns and knives way more than they use martial arts. It's not a movie where you shoot a lot of bad guys then have a 1 v 1 unarmed match against the big boss at the end.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Marines use guns and knives way more than they use martial arts. It's not a movie where you shoot a lot of bad guys then have a 1 v 1 unarmed match against the big boss at the end.
Wait, you mean one guy doesn't throw down his gun and fight mano a mano because his enemy out of bullets? Great. I also found out today that pro wrestling isn't real. What's next? Please don't tell me Santa Clause isn't real too; I don't know if I can handle that much stress in one day.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Done by Chinese people, it can be chin-na (a sub-set of Wusho / Kung Fu?). Hapkido and Teakwondo cover similar stuff, I am quite sure. Krav Maga...

Chin Na is simply the Chinese term for locking and holding techniques. Pretty much every Chinese Martial Art has some form of Chin Na in them, although some arts focus on it more than others.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I find the comments about dropping one's weapon and throwing down action movie style as funny as the rest.

However, on a serious note, there have been a bunch of cases in the War on Terror were guys have had to use hand-to-hand skills. There was a very recent story about the SAS running out of ammo and charging a bunch of ISIS insurgents and taking them with empty hands and knives, and winning. Getting human intelligence from enemy combatants is extremely important, so having the ability to restrain and hold someone, or to take them and control them empty handed if they are putting up a fight, is important.

SAS soldier 'drowned ISIS jihadi in puddle as group fought terrorists with bare hands'

If the OP is serious about his plans to join the USMC, then this time next year he could be, literally, in a fight for his life.

OK, end of serious note. Get back to the jokes now! LOL

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I find the comments about dropping one's weapon and throwing down action movie style as funny as the rest.

However, on a serious note, there have been a bunch of cases in the War on Terror were guys have had to use hand-to-hand skills. There was a very recent story about the SAS running out of ammo and charging a bunch of ISIS insurgents and taking them with empty hands and knives, and winning. Getting human intelligence from enemy combatants is extremely important, so having the ability to restrain and hold someone, or to take them and control them empty handed if they are putting up a fight, is important.

SAS soldier 'drowned ISIS jihadi in puddle as group fought terrorists with bare hands'

If the OP is serious about his plans to join the USMC, then this time next year he could be, literally, in a fight for his life.

OK, end of serious note. Get back to the jokes now! LOL
Except, he didn't say that he wanted to learn martial arts because he wants to join the USMC. He said he wants to join the USMC so that he can utilize his martial arts.

Latest Discussions