What quailities should a Teacher of the Martial Arts Possess?

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I read alot of answers that are related to character, or attributes that are not necessarily physically related to the martial arts.

I would say the most important aspects for a teacher to be beyond reproach as the question was put, is a firm understanding of the concepts and principles that their specific martial art utilizes.

To have an ability to explain those concepts and principles to his students.

To have a complete understanding in how the human body works when performing the components of said system, and what mistakes to watch out for so students are not injured.

The character stuff is important in regards to trust issues, morality, etc.
I feel it is the parents job to pass on morals and concepts like honor and humbleness to their kids. The martial arts instructor is first and foremost a person who is passing on physical knowledge to students. If a parent or a student wants to learn the mental attributes then they should find someone who they admire and go from there.

I know That with any physical activity, when my kids enter any sport I am most concerned that the coach, or instructor is as knowledgable as possible in said sport. It is my responsibility to watch and protect my child and my family, and instill morals, and identity such as honor and loyalty.

OP
G

Geeba12

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I read alot of answers that are related to character, or attributes that are not necessarily physically related to the martial arts.

I would say the most important aspects for a teacher to be beyond reproach as the question was put, is a firm understanding of the concepts and principles that their specific martial art utilizes.

To have an ability to explain those concepts and principles to his students.

To have a complete understanding in how the human body works when performing the components of said system, and what mistakes to watch out for so students are not injured.

The character stuff is important in regards to trust issues, morality, etc.
I feel it is the parents job to pass on morals and concepts like honor and humbleness to their kids. The martial arts instructor is first and foremost a person who is passing on physical knowledge to students. If a parent or a student wants to learn the mental attributes then they should find someone who they admire and go from there.

I know That with any physical activity, when my kids enter any sport I am most concerned that the coach, or instructor is as knowledgable as possible in said sport. It is my responsibility to watch and protect my child and my family, and instill morals, and identity such as honor and loyalty.

Well said! Proper parental examples and instilling these qualities in their children when young, parents "create" beginning Martial Art students with solid foundations on life. Children like this are gifts to a Martial Art Teacher.
SJG

Latest Discussions