What martial art is this man using?

Asyulus

White Belt
Reaction score

The fighter wearing white shoes is named Coco Martin, a Filipino actor.

OP
A

Asyulus

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm asking what martial art fighting style is this. Karate? Panantukan (Filipino martial art)? Pencak Silat? etc. I have no idea what is this.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm asking what martial art fighting style is this. Karate? Panantukan (Filipino martial art)? Pencak Silat? etc. I have no idea what is this.

That can be difficult to determine.

Fight scenes in the movies are choreographed by actors, stunt men, fight choreographers, and directors and can contain numerous different styles.

For example, what you see Bruce Lee do in the movies is not what he taught in real life.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I see nothing in that short clip that is unique to any particular style. The various movements are part of many types of martial arts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what is this.

We haven't either because while you make think it's a funny answer from CB Jones, it's actually the truth. It's 'movie style' martial arts where techniques that look good on camera are used, there's no one style used just anything that they can make look dramatic. Often it's not good martial arts or stuff that will actually work, it doesn't have to for the screen, it just has to look good.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
None of the above like I said a bunch of moves that look good on camera

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Most styles have the same basic blocks, kicks and punches. What distinguishes a style is the way they use those techniques, and the principles behind it. The physical actions have very little to do with it. For example, Shaolin Kung Fu and Wing Chun both have a straight punch, but they have completely different principles for utilising those punches. That is the difference between styles, which is why asking what style a movie fight uses is all but impossible a lot of the time.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Real martial arts can and are used in movies, but the thing is they are often over done to look better on film.

For example a right hook, you see right hooks thrown all the time in movies, but not with good technique. They often retract the arm very far back and then throw it to make it look more dramatic and strong.

This is called telegraphing and is the worst thing you can do for any strike.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real martial arts can and are used in movies, but the thing is they are often over done to look better on film.

For example a right hook, you see right hooks thrown all the time in movies, but not with good technique. They often retract the arm very far back and then throw it to make it look more dramatic and strong.

This is called telegraphing and is the worst thing you can do for any strike.

There's also the famous fight thing that only happens in films where a mob turns up to fight the hero and they all wait in turn to fight him one by one. :D

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The fighter wearing white shoes is named Coco Martin, a Filipino actor.

Ha ha ha.. I was going to say movie martial arts until I saw him use a Luk Choy which is a long fist kung fu technique. You have to slow the footage down to see it. He throws a back fist and a "haymaker" (for the lack of description). I've seen this punch in Hung Ga, Jow Ga, Choy li fut, Choy Ga, and Lama Pi (spelling?). Whoever choreographed the fight scene they based the big swings on long fist. Keep in mind that this is just a movie. But when you slow the video down you'll see things that look like the videos below which makes me think the scene has some long fist influence.

Now for reality. I can use long fist techniques and I can tell you from experience that it's not going to look like what you see in the movie. It's long fist so it means there is more space between the attacker and defender. I can also tell you that a person can't take too many solid hits from a long fist technique. The video below is a sloppy long fist technique but it's still powerful enough to cause damage.

What you see in that movie clip looks like an altered martial art long fist technique that looks cool but in reality, you can't use that the technique like that as shown in the movie clip. Even the side kick was bad.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can tell you that there is some kung fu influence, but what he's doing is not kung fu. If I had to bet money on it, then I would say that it's a movie fight seen with pieces of poorly done techniques from various martial arts system. He's not just doing one type of fighting system.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah JowGa, that side kick looked more like a push than a strike. It wasn't even chambered at all, so without the chambering there is no violent release.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah JowGa, that side kick looked more like a push than a strike. It wasn't even chambered at all, so without the chambering there is no violent release.
One of the cardinals rules of Stage Combat is "everyone stays safe." You don't want to use a technique which will actually injure your fellow actor.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the cardinals rules of Stage Combat is "everyone stays safe." You don't want to use a technique which will actually injure your fellow actor.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lol.. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case with that side kick. Those punches were more dangerous.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well,
he did a trigger pull,
a back fist,
a straight right,
a back handed strike with the pistol,
a left hook to the body
a straight right,
a right hook,
an upper cut,
a side kick.
No particular style.

Jedmus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No style really, as people have stated previously. This will have so many influences to create "movie style" so if you want to call it something, that will do. Most martial arts techniques are vastly changed to look good on screen and remove practicality so it's near impossible to work out a specific style that this could have been derived from.

Latest Discussions