What makes a great student

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know after looking though all the threads here nobody has ever started a thread about what make a great student? Looking forward to see what certain people believe is most valuable.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me a great student is someone who shows up on time, prepared to train, is willing to attempt new material, does whatever is asked of him/her in a non-disruptive manner, and then practices outside of class to perfect the material.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To me a great student is one that enjoys being at the school. They are diligent in their efforts, have fun and, when they are at the right level, enjoy teaching the lower belts. For student who are kids, a good student sets the good example outside of class. There is nothing I enjoy hearing more about than school teachers praising our kids because they are always taking charge, helping others in their class or just an all around pleasent kid to work with.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would add to what Miles has posted:

and keeps showing up after the Exciting and New has worn off.

I've found in the long run, "sticking with it" trumps raw talent every time.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Attitude. If the student has a positive outlook and a great attitude then they are great students regardless of their skill set. That is what I like about a student. The best student to me is one that has a great attitude and but in effort.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Openmindedness to take on new challenge
staying power, like mentioned above, it beats talent every time
and enough humor to take the downs in stride and enough humbleness to not get a big head when the ups are about.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are many things that go into being a good student. I would say that the most important one is this: "Never tire of learning. A good student can learn anywhere, any time. This is the secret of knowledge."

Conversely, a good teacher is one who can, amongst other things, "Never tire of teaching. A good instructor can teach anywhere, any time, and always be ready to answer questions."

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me, asking what makes a great student is the same as asking what makes a great son or daughter. Answer what makes a great son or daughter and for me you get the same answer as to what makes a great student.

I have the same perspective as to what makes a great instructor -- the same qualities that make a great parent.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Humility, dedication, patience, able to think outside the box, enjoyment of the arts.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are many things that go into being a good student. I would say that the most important one is this: "Never tire of learning. A good student can learn anywhere, any time. This is the secret of knowledge."

Conversely, a good teacher is one who can, amongst other things, "Never tire of teaching. A good instructor can teach anywhere, any time, and always be ready to answer questions."

Pax,

Chris

Hmmmmm, sounds familiar, like I jeard or read it before:)

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me a good student is someone who has a passion for what they are learning, willing to work hard for it, and realize nothing worth while is achieved overnight. Anything else will fall into place.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You know after looking though all the threads here nobody has ever started a thread about what make a great student? Looking forward to see what certain people believe is most valuable.
The three D's of success: Desire, Discipline and Dedication.

cactus

White Belt
Reaction score
From a student's perspective: I really hope my instructor thinks I'm a great student, and just knowing that he did would mean a great deal. I tend to agree with all of the qualities listed above, one day (hopefully) when I'm a teacher, those are the traits that I will look for :)

Latest Discussions