What kind of silat?

G

gman

I am currently a student of American Kenpo but am looking into gaining some training in Silat. I was recenctly exposed to a small amount at a seminar and am now interested. I have done a little internet research and I notice there are different types. Can anyone tell me the difference? Thanks.

Nevermind, I just found the group further down the page. Sorry.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by gman
I am currently a student of American Kenpo but am looking into gaining some training in Silat. I was recenctly exposed to a small amount at a seminar and am now interested. I have done a little internet research and I notice there are different types. Can anyone tell me the difference? Thanks.

* flippant alert *

What are the different types of Kung Fu or Karate?

* flippancy off *

Just to give a little perspective, there are literally hundreds (some say thousands) of systems of Silat. I've heard that there are over 300 officially recognized systems of Silat on Java alone. That doesn't count all the "unofficial" ones practiced in little villages or single families that weren't part of the census for one reason or another. It also doesn't count all the systems of silat that are on Sumatra, Bali, Flores, Borneo, and the rest of the islands (and there's a bunch of 'em). Or the silat systems in Malaysia or the Philippines.

However, the most common ones you'll find here in the states are either Serak (or Serak influenced) from the de Thouars family and Mande Muda from the Suwanda family.

That's not all that's here in the states, but they're the most commonly found. Some others are Cimande (which is one of the many systems that Mande Muda draws from, but there are a couple of other lineages floating around here in the US), Harimau (again, one that Mande Muda draws from but other lineages like Minangkabau Harimau). Mande Muda also draws from Sera (but a different lineage than that of the de Thouars). There is some Malaysian Seni Gayong Silat. There are some silat systems from the Philippines here in the US.

But, primarily, what you'll find (and likely what you were exposed to) will be from the de Thouars lineage or from the Suwanda lineage. And Dan Inosanto has extensive training in both lineages so his "Maphilindo" Silat draws heavily from both of these.

As far as what these systems are ... that, in itself, will require a big response. Silat is, generally, blade based (though the blade is often not taught publicly here in the states) so keep that in mind.

Serak is a "pukulan" art which means it's heavy on striking. But most of its striking is geared toward balance disruption to set up sweeps/takedowns.

Mande Muda is a "campuran" (blended) system. It draws from many different systems of Silat (I think the actual number is 24 currently, but the Suwanda family is always training and evolving the system). Some of the systems it draws from are:
  • Harimau [literally "tiger"] - a groundfighting system from Sumatra
  • Cipecut - flexible weapons
  • Cimande - a striking system that, among other things, conditions the forearms and uses them as striking weapons
  • Sabitan - a knife system based on Cimande
  • Cikalong - "bat" system, evasive footwork, trapping hands, balance disruption
  • Rikasan [literally "to break] - a joint locking/breaking system with a lot of similarities to Chinese Chin Na
  • Nampon - an internal system with a lot of similarities to Chinese Chi Gung
  • Pamonyet [literally "father monkey"] - a monkey system
  • Pamacan [literally "father tiger"] - a tiger system from Java similar to the Harimau from Sumatra, but with a slightly different flavor
  • Kari - a system built around a single throw, the "puter kepala" [what Aikido would call a "kaiten nage"] - head turning throw
  • Madi - developed by a very small guy so uses body mass to accomplish a lot of locks/breaks/throws/takedowns

Oh ... and on pronunciation (just because): (approximations)
  • "c" is pronounced "ch"
  • "tj" is pronounced "ch" - Dutch Colonial now written as "c"
  • "dj" is pronounced as "j" - Dutch Colonial now written as "j"
  • "oe" us pronounced as "o" in "move" - Dutch Colonial now written as "u"
  • "a" is pronounced as "o" in "mom"

Hope that helps :)

If you've got any other questions, fell free to ask and I'll try to answer them.

Mike

OP
G

gman

WWOOWW!!!

Thanks, pesilat. That was much more than I could have imagined. I was afraid that the question might be too general to answer. I will continue my research and see if I can't find a place around here to take a couple classes or seminars or something. Thanks for the help.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WWOOWW!!!

Thanks, pesilat. That was much more than I could have imagined. I was afraid that the question might be too general to answer. I will continue my research and see if I can't find a place around here to take a couple classes or seminars or something. Thanks for the help.

:rofl: Not a problem.

Where (roughly) do you live? I may be able to recommend someone in your area. The Silat community in America isn't all that large (compared to, say, the TKD community) and we tend to keep track of the various players.

Mike

OP
G

gman

I live in Modesto, CA. It is in the central valley of California. I'm about 1 hour from either San Francisco or Scaramento. Thanks.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I live in Modesto, CA. It is in the central valley of California. I'm about 1 hour from either San Francisco or Scaramento. Thanks.

http://serak.com/VDT_Academy_Home/Links_and_Contacts/body_links_and_contacts.html

http://www.pentjaksilatusa.com

http://www.gerakansuci.com

The first is a Serak school (Pak Victor de Thouars lineage) in Modesto.

The second is HQ'd in San Jose, but they may have someone in your area (and they'll almost certainly point you at the Serak school in Modesto as well :) )

The third is a school that teaches a system derived primarily from Mande Muda (though has had some other influences, too). I forget exactly where they're located.

Mike

OP
G

gman

Thanks. I'll check it out. You told me more in a few minutes than looking for a couple hours on Google last night.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check it out. You told me more in a few minutes than looking for a couple hours on Google last night.

LOL. Google hasn't been passionately training in Silat for 8+ years ;)

In the large scheme of things, of course, I'm still a very young Silat player. But I do have some idea where to go to find the information :)

Mike

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by tarabos
man...PAMA is the only reason i would ever move to NJ :D...but yeah, it's a hike for me.

i've seen their facilites, they're amazing. and such a variety in cirriculum with so many great instructors...

:) I've never met Rick Tucci (seen him on vid, though) or been to his place. But I know what you're talking about. When I met my instructor in Kali and Silat, I lived 2.5 hours from him. I used to drive every weekend to train with him. Did that every weekend for a year, then moved over to train with him full time.

I'd recommend checking out the Seni Gayung guys, though. I've not met Cikgu Sulaiman Sharif yet, but I did meet another Seni Gayung instructor, Sheikh Shamsuddin, a few years ago and trained with him a little at a seminar. He was very good.

Mike

OP
G

gman

I wanted to say thanks for stering me in the right direction. I have been in touch with Pak Vic (I'm assuming Maha Guru Victor de Thouars)of the VDT Academy and he has a school right here in town. It is run by Pembantu Guru Mr. Choate. I will be getting the details from him and am very much looking forward to lessons. Any advise? Once again thanks.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wanted to say thanks for stering me in the right direction. I have been in touch with Pak Vic (I'm assuming Maha Guru Victor de Thouars)of the VDT Academy and he has a school right here in town. It is run by Pembantu Guru Mr. Choate. I will be getting the details from him and am very much looking forward to lessons. Any advise? Once again thanks.

Yup. "Pak Vic" = "Maha Guru Victor de Thouars" of the VDT Academy.

I've not met Mr. Choate yet but heard good things about him. I'm not formally affiliated with Pak Vic anymore ... but it was due to personal issues, not the system. I'll always respect Pak Vic and cherish what I got while I was training in Serak. I wasn't directly under him, though I did spend a fair amount of time with him. He's good and so is the system.

Advice? Not really. Train hard and have fun :)

Mike

Latest Discussions