What kind of flooring does your dojang have?

What kind of flooring does your dojang have?

• carpet/tile over concrete

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • mats

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • wooden floors

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • something else

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've trained in several that had a thin carpet over concrete. I've trained on wooden dance floors & a very few schools with mats. How about your's?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My own school, my TKD school, and the one I recently joined have mats. My first 2 karate schools I trained in and taught at had carpet, though we often trained outside in the parking lot.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
puzzle mats on concrete.

We had a tournament on a lovely swinging basketball floor once...dreamy!

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a combination of what appear to be low-pile vinyl mats and puzzle mats, the latter of which I've never worked with before. The experience is unique for me, working on a fully-matted surface. In my past Hapkido classes, we had about three quarters hard floor, and the rest velcroed mats, which slipped a bit. Working on mats all the time is great. Adds a little more bounce to my step.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have two sections of flooring for training. One is puzzle mats over concrete. The second is puzzle mats covered by a vinyl tarp pulled tight and tacked down around the edges.

The entrance and viewing or sitting area is wood.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Currently we have puzzle mats.
Back in the day it was carpet on top of concrete.
While in college I taught on a wooden floor. I liked that the best.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Swain mats on the striking arts side of the dojang, and a blue/grappling rolled mat on the other side.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Puzzle mats for us now also. It was not that long ago, that we were practicing on a concrete driveway though:

l_52c23224a02ca34da44f81b7185ee625.jpg

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor's school has a nice wooden floor.

I've trained on mats, concrete, carpet, etc. and really prefer wooden floors. Easier on the feet and you can still do take downs without having to drag out pads.

Pax,

Chris

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally find it a lot easier to do pushups, especially on your knuckles, on wooden floors. I'd love to train on wooden floors all the time and pull out mats once in a while for throws and breakfalls and the like, but we are in a 4H club barn so we're lucky to have a place at all :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends. I teach at a YMCA, and we are in two rooms, one on Monday, one on Thursday. The Monday room is a dance studio with a rubber/plastic tile floor of a type I've never seen anywhere else; the tiles are about a foot square and are raised from the surface they are attached to, which I think is cement - the bottom of the tiles looks almost like a bathtub mat, the type with the suction cups, but closer together. It's an odd surface (and slippery when dusty) but fairly gentle on the feet. The Thursday room is also a dance studio, but converted from a racquetball court, and still has the racquetball court wooden floor.

My sahbum's class is in a gym, which has a rubberized floor which took some getting used to; it's slightly sticky, but with very little give for the type of surface, not quite as good as a wood floor, but not bad at all. When I started, we worked out in a room that had a cement floor, so almost anything else is an improvement.

My basement workout space is puzzle mats over cement, which is nice, but almost too soft in some ways; it's hard to pivot on them, especially as I'm used to harder surfaces everywhere else.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I once taught in an aerobics studio (in the late 80's) that had a wooden floor that was specially designed for aerobics. It had a rubberized underlayment that gave it bit of "give" to it. It was fantastic to train TKD on.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best place was a wooden floor that flaoted, it was so nice but the cost is way to high to justify for me.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I tried to talk GM Kim into getting the puzzle mats that look like hardwood, but he decided to go with the red and blue. It looks very nice, but more modern.

Daniel

Latest Discussions