What it's like to live in America where everybody can buy guns?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The image you posted did not carry over for me so I can't see it.

However, I am in full understanding of the difference between cosmetics and actual function and performance.

Reasonable regulations need to focus on function and not get hung up on the cosmetics

Edit:this was in response to Tgace, I thought I had responded to his post and discover that I did not.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm, I guess the founding fathers leading a popular uprising of the masses against a tyrannical and oppressive government was a fantasy? Seems that was history.

Hmmm, hundreds of Sheriff's and Chiefs publicly stating they will not enforce any legislation or E.O. that infringes on the 2A is fantasy. Seems like that's public record.

Hmmm, people willing to stand up against any government that would attempt to strip them of their Constitutional rights is fantasy? I think you'll be in for a big surprise should it ever happen. Of the 80+ million gun owners some will cave and give away their rights one at a time. Tens of millions won't.

Perhaps, and I hope, we never have to find out who's right.
yeah I hope so to, for the sake of those involved.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's been said before, but is just as applicable now, A firearm should be a tool in the hands of a deadly weapon not a deadly weapon in the hands of a tool.

Which would be a pro legislation ideal.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
On the one hand I think that being allowed to buy guns is good. If I lived in America I'd also buy lots and lots of guns and
rifles. This must be really fun to shoot with them and just hold them in your hand and clean them carefully.

On the other hand though it's also really scary imo. I mean do you even feel safe outside in public places knowing that
somebody could shoot at you at ANY time? I think I'd become paranoid and only walk around in public with a bullet proof
vest and of course also have at least 1 gun with me, better 2 guns.
But what do you do in the summer? You cant wear a gun holster under your shirt or a bullet proof vest.

Do you think about this when you go outside or do you suppress these thoughts that a terrorist or crazy person could stop
opening fire at any second?

i'd rather have it that only i am allowed to have guns but nobody else. this would make me feel safe and i'd not have to worry
about being shot at.

It some US cities police work is boring where 90% of the calls are burglary report, theft report, damage to vehicle, theft of vehicle, EMS or FD assist calls, suicidal person,person of meds, alarm , 911 hang up, burglary of vehicle, medical call, assist person, shoplift, criminal mischief and theft so on.

In other US cities it is more action base and lot more criminal element.

I some US cities I would never buy home with out a gun and other US cities not big deal.

In Los Angeles there is always car chase, shooting , shots fired call.

The best thing is to get out of hood and bad crime areas.

I never had need to have gun in Arlington Texas, crime is there but nothing like Dallas. Likewise in other cities I have been to I never feel unsafe and other cities I feel scared.

But it not like Hollywood. Police work is not that action base.

I spent time in Miami and feel safe. I just stick to main streets don't go in back alleys, apartment complex, residential streets.

Stick to areas with lot of foot traffic. Where Liberty city and Overtown is where lot of gangs are in Miami.

When you get into areas with very little foot traffic is when I feel unsafe.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Also Places like Miami, LA and New York that are really urban have faster police driving repose to calls than low density suburb where it can be 6 to 8 minutes driving time.

I see lot more police cars driving around in Miami, LA and New York than low density suburb.

You could drive around all day and not see any police car in some suburbs.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Quote On the other hand though it's also really scary imo. I mean do you even feel safe outside in public places knowing that
somebody could shoot at you at ANY time? I think I'd become paranoid and only walk around in public with a bullet proof
vest and of course also have at least 1 gun with me, better 2 guns.
But what do you do in the summer? You cant wear a gun holster under your shirt or a bullet proof vest.Quote

Do a ride on with your police departments in your are and go to police station and talk to officers and you see what areas are safe and not safe.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Quote On the other hand though it's also really scary imo. I mean do you even feel safe outside in public places knowing that
somebody could shoot at you at ANY time?.
Do you live in a country where they sell knives? Someone could stab you anytime, do you feel unsafe outside, are you so paranoid you feel the need to wear a stab vest?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you live in a country where they sell knives? Someone could stab you anytime, do you feel unsafe outside, are you so paranoid you feel the need to wear a stab vest?
I think he was quoting and responding to the OP, but it didn't carry over properly. Your question ought to be directed to the OP.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Are you asking if you can carry knife for self defense? What country, city or state you from? So we can tell you the law in that area? If you can carry knife, pepper spray or stun gun.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score

If you asking what US cities get more knife calls than gun calls?

Detroit, Dallas and Houston have strong gun culture.

But I would not even carry a gun in gang area. I'm NOT getting in a shoot out with 5 to 10 gang members.

There are places where even two police officers don't drive. Don't play Rambo or Steven Seagal that will get you shot.

There are even apartment complex and areas in hot zones in city flag on dispatchers screen to send 4 officers if call comes in that area.

If you live in safe low crime neighborhood than be happy.

Walking around with vest on and carry gun seem pointless of why you live in such rough area.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way. My friends are in Vegas at the moment. Checking out the gun section at the shops as one of their stops so far.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you asking if you can carry knife for self defense? What country, city or state you from? So we can tell you the law in that area? If you can carry knife, pepper spray or stun gun.

Are you a qualified legal expert or police officer? The 'information' you have been giving out so far on matters criminal, legal and law enforcement as regards the UK and Europe is totally wrong, so much so that it is actually dangerous.

It some US cities police work is boring where 90% of the calls are burglary report, theft report, damage to vehicle, theft of vehicle, EMS or FD assist calls, suicidal person,person of meds, alarm , 911 hang up, burglary of vehicle, medical call, assist person, shoplift, criminal mischief and theft so on.

Interesting that you find this 'boring', I can assure you that police officers consider most of it vital, is the bread and butter of police work. The victims don't find it 'boring', they look to the police for many things, boredom isn't one of them. You are coming off trying to look like an expert when you are no such thing, I would prefer my information to come from reasoning, common sense people rather than someone who is pretending he is a police officer.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 'information' you have been giving out so far on matters criminal, legal and law enforcement as regards the UK and Europe is totally wrong,

The OP doesn't concern the UK or Europe.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an example of an armed citizen stopping a bad guy:

Concealed carrier takes down shooter at South Carolina nightclub

As I mentioned, according to the FBI, armed citizens stop three times as many bad guys annually as the police. And again, if police are the ones that respond and stop the threat, 18 people have already been shot (average). If an armed citizen stops the threat only 2 people have been shot (average).

If your not armed, your a victim-in-waiting that has outsourced your personal protection to another.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OP doesn't concern the UK or Europe.

Didn't say it did. The point which you missed, was that if the poster doesn't tell the truth about one subject why should anyone believe him on another related subject. He made up a lot of stuff about European policing so where does that show he can be trusted on American policing, he is not a police officer.
In court someone who tells lies is deemed untrustworthy to tell the truth about anything.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your not armed, your a victim-in-waiting that has outsourced your personal protection to another.

See, statements like this really are an enormous oversimplification of the issue that fails to do justice to any aspect of it.

As one who goes about my life unarmed, I can give an enormously oversimplified response: no I'm not.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't say it did. The point which you missed, was that if the poster doesn't tell the truth about one subject why should anyone believe him on another related subject. He made up a lot of stuff about European policing so where does that show he can be trusted on American policing, he is not a police officer.
In court someone who tells lies is deemed untrustworthy to tell the truth about anything.

Hmm, you said you were putting me on ignore. Yet you responded to my post. Does this mean you lied? And if so, does that deem you untrustworthy about anything you post?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, statements like this really are an enormous oversimplification of the issue that fails to do justice to any aspect of it.

As one who goes about my life unarmed, I can give an enormously oversimplified response: no I'm not.

Oversimplification? No, not really. That's what it boils down to whether it makes you uncomfortable to admit it or not. You have chosen to go about your life unarmed. That's fine. That's your choice. No one is telling you that you should be armed. But you won't have the options of an armed citizen should you ever find yourself in an active shooter situation (which of course I hope you never find yourself in). Thus you have put the responsibility for your personal protection in the hands of others (i.e. first responders) which statistically won't be there at the time of the incident.

Let's do some oversimplified math:

Night club #1 - 0 armed private citizens. + 1 armed bad guy = 100 people shot with a 50% fatality rate.

Night club #2 - 1 armed private citizen + 1 armed bad guy = 4 people shot (including the bad guy who is stopped from further aggression) with no fatalities.

Armed citizen in #2 had options available that no one did in #1 and it made a difference. Doesn't mean it will always happen that way, but statistically (FBI stats) in normally does. But then the armed citizen lawfully defending themselves doesn't seem to get the drive-by media attention. Odd that it doesn't....

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oversimplification? No, not really. That's what it boils down to whether it makes you uncomfortable to admit it or not. You have chosen to go about your life unarmed. That's fine. That's your choice. No one is telling you that you should be armed. But you won't have the options of an armed citizen should you ever find yourself in an active shooter situation (which of course I hope you never find yourself in). Thus you have put the responsibility for your personal protection in the hands of others (i.e. first responders) which statistically won't be there at the time of the incident.

Let's do some oversimplified math:

Night club #1 - 0 armed private citizens. + 1 armed bad guy = 100 people shot with a 50% fatality rate.

Night club #2 - 1 armed private citizen + 1 armed bad guy = 4 people shot (including the bad guy who is stopped from further aggression) with no fatalities.

Armed citizen in #2 had options available that no one did in #1 and it made a difference. Doesn't mean it will always happen that way, but statistically (FBI stats) in normally does. But then the armed citizen lawfully defending themselves doesn't seem to get the drive-by media attention. Odd that it doesn't....

Ok then, in reposte I offer the following oversimplified assessment of people who want to be armed all the time: Given the statistically insignificant liklihood of any given individual being in a situation where firearms are needed (LEO, military, and security professionals exempted), those who want to be armed all the time are like frightened children who mistakenly believe that a bogey-man lurks in their closet waiting to come out and snatch them in their sleep.

While I can certainly acknowledge that there are dangerous elements and certain exceptions out there, in the main, in most areas and for most people, life really is not so dangerous. The desire to be constantly armed, and to actively push that agenda reeks of paranoia and is the position of an extremely vocal, and extremely small, radical minority. The vast vast majority of the population of this country do not hold these views, and that includes the population of gun owners, which includes myself. By far, the vast majority of the population, including gun owners, favor reasonable regulations and limits, and do not align themselves with radical organizations like the NRA, and certainly will not be starting a civil war over an issue like gun regulations.

So, we can take the discussion down that road if you like. I wasn't really interested in doing so, but you opened that gate so here we are. If we continue down that path it won't lead to anything worth while and will likely disintegrate into you calling me a victim and me calling you a paranoid chicken, and i don't see the value in it and I am disinclined to contribute further if that is the road we go down. :)

Latest Discussions