Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is your favorite kick and why
what is your favorite flying kick if different from the first question

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Back kick. I can nail someone every time. The more years I develop it I find it getting shorter (clean straight line, less sidekick like) and faster response. I also can usually knock the other guy across the floor if I catch him on his heels at a minimum bring him to a dead stop and make him think.
Flying side kick. Pure power. Block this and you are still going to feel it. Usually reserved for that choke second as we get to the edge of the mat or after a few kicks when the end is assumed. Its a showstopper and just pisses people off. As always taking to the air is always cautioned.

Dave O.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Right now, spin side kick no doubt. Easy to disguise, with great power generation (especially if you're 210 like me). When I can actually do a spinning outer crescent that will definitely become my favorite though :lol:

jim

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Classic mid-level side thrust kick (on the high side, striking somewhere in the middle of a 6' tall, long-legged attacker's ribcage), heel impact surface. I train it so that each kick is kept frozen in the fully extended position for a minimum of 10 seconds. I try to get in around 50 of these every day, for both legs.

I don't do any flying kicks, though—I do not trust them as weapons for an actual street encounter; way too much can go wrong that has nothing to do with the attacker's fighting ability.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Exile, would you mind posting your daily kicking routine again? I was doing it for a bit until my basement flooded, and I've just now got the Wavemaster setup again. I don't remember it all, to be honest, and don't know what sub-forum your original post was in.

Thanks in advance!

jim

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Exile, would you mind posting your daily kicking routine again? I was doing it for a bit until my basement flooded, and I've just now got the Wavemaster setup again. I don't remember it all, to be honest, and don't know what sub-forum your original post was in.

Thanks in advance!

jim

Hi Jim—it works like this: 70 rear leg side kicks, left and right. 100 front leg side kicks, left and right. 70 roundhouse kicks left and right.

What I've done to modify this program is that of the 70 rear leg kicks, 50 must be performed in the way I described: a normal flowing side kick that freezes at the moment of maximum extension and is held there for at least 10 seconds. The remaining 20 are performed in slow-motion fashion, with an effort to remain in perfect balance through the whole kick, from the initial vertical knee chamber, to the rotation with the bent knee rotating until it's parallel to the floor, to the thrusting extension, to the rechambering movement and return of the kicking leg to the rear, with no freezing in the extended position. The normal speed/frozen extension kick practice and the super-slow kick practiced with no frozen extension seem to complement each other well; I've noticed a marked improvement in my balance skills (always my weak point) as a result of this regime.

The front leg side kicks (like slide side kicks but without the slide) are performed at normal speed, with no freezing.

I've also been experimenting with superslow roundhouses and normal speed/frozen extension roundhouse kicks. That too seems to help a lot...

...hope this is useful, Jim. :)

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think back kick is a very good, efficient and powerful kick, but once I was attacked and I could beat the man only with roundhouse kicks (like Chuck Norris, LMAO), so I can't leave this useful kick apart. :D

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like the wheel kick. Not a big fan of jumping kicks but if I have to pick one I will go with the 360 spinning cresent with a little hop during the kick. It's to fancy for the street. I don't practic it much either but it's a good feeling kick.

neither one of these kicks I would use in a street fight.

onibaku

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I often use side kicks. but before the sparring session ends, I try to do consecutive spinning kicks and jumping spinning kicks. especially the tornado kick, jumping spinning back kick and flying side kick

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like the "step-forward roundhouse kick" it's quick and powerful and it's the kick that I get the most knockouts with. I also think that "axe-kicks" are fun to do, but I don't have those down as much as my roundhouses. Flying kicks, I like doing double back kicks if that counts. It's more flashy than effective though. I haven't done it in competition yet. In competitions I pretty much stick to the basics except for counters. Side kicks, push kicks, roundhouses.

Latest Discussions