What is your hapkido lineage?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

(The article begins: "Daegu, also spelled Taegu ...")

The sidebar has:

Daegu

대구

Daegu Metropolitan City

Hangul : 대구광역시

Hanja : 大邱廣域市

Revised Romanization : Daegu-gwangyeoksi

McCune-Reischauer : Taegu-gwangyŏksi

But again, how does this really matter?

Maybe we should drop this hijack discussion or cut-and-paste it to The Great Debate forum so this lineage thread doesn't get locked.

Because lineages are interesting and we could all stand to learn a bit more about our hapkido cousins.

One thing we all (hapkido-ists) have in common, I'm sure, is fierce pride in our lineage and style of hapkido.

GM Lee Hyun Park did not train directly under Choi, but I wouldn't trade his hapkido for training directly under Choi myself — no offense to Choi, of course, but:

I LIKE that Moo Sul Kwan hapkido has a strong Yudo thread running through it (both Suh Bok Sub and Park were Judo/Yudo black belts before beginning hapkido/yawara/yusool training; and my instructor also trained Judo before finding hapkido). The full circle throws we have are, no doubt, a result of this Yudo/Judo thread.

I LIKE that Won Kwang-Wha's experience as a bodyguard in a very turbulent time in Korea led to a very practical, effective form of hapkido that was probably well-tested in life-threatening situations. Park was respected by his peers as a dangerous martial artist. Self promotion may keep these folk from saying so today, but when he was alive, he was respected by all who knew him.

I LIKE that Kim Moo Woong added in dynamic kicking — I don't think I would be happy at all only training the kicks Choi brought back from Japan.

I may not go around saying it very often out of respect for practitioners of other hapkido styles, but I haven't seen a single style of hapkido out there that I like as much as that passed down from Park.

But then, I'm sure everyone pretty much feels the same about their style of hapkido ;)

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you Scott,

You are always a better man of reason than I am. I am too close to the source. I have the hard convictions of my Scottish Clansmen. My father is no different, neither is GM.

They are indeed open minded as I am try more to be. I mean how close do you have to be to Choi than Won-Kwang Wha. I mean Lee lived with him.

I also apologize to you Kevin, I am not going to continue with this debate as neither will budge it seems. So I accept your apology and we will just keep pressing on.

I made mention that I have accomplished more in 5 yrs. than you in a life time is for egotistical reasons. I will count them out for you. I went to Samolia, Operation Agile Provider, Haiti, helped rescue Scott O'Grady when he got shot down over Bosnia, I went to Albania, Israel, Tunisia, and Liberia.

When the dual helicopter crash happened over Camp Lejeune in 96I dove into the Atlantic and pulled dead Marines and Army personnel out of the ocean.

I was awarded 36 medals. 7 of them are presidential awards. Being crippled and still making it as far as I did in Judo and Wrestling I believe is not too bad of a feat.

So again, I accept your apology and hope you accept mine as well.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Scott,

You are always a better man of reason than I am. I am too close to the source. I have the hard convictions of my Scottish Clansmen. My father is no different, neither is GM.

They are indeed open minded as I am try more to be. I mean how close do you have to be to Choi than Won-Kwang Wha. I mean Lee lived with him.

I also apologize to you Kevin, I am not going to continue with this debate as neither will budge it seems. So I accept your apology and we will just keep pressing on.

I made mention that I have accomplished more in 5 yrs. than you in a life time is for egotistical reasons. I will count them out for you. I went to Samolia, Operation Agile Provider, Haiti, helped rescue Scott O'Grady when he got shot down over Bosnia, I went to Albania, Israel, Tunisia, and Liberia.

When the dual helicopter crash happened over Camp Lejeune in 96I dove into the Atlantic and pulled dead Marines and Army personnel out of the ocean.

I was awarded 36 medals. 7 of them are presidential awards. Being crippled and still making it as far as I did in Judo and Wrestling I believe is not too bad of a feat.

So again, I accept your apology and hope you accept mine as well.

Matt, of course.

We will debate for a long time yet, but "always in the best possible taste".

That was quite a 5 year span. Again, thank you for serving, that means a great deal to me actually.

I will attempt to be less abrasive in my comments, and we can try to come to some accords as I try to provide as many sources as possible for my arguments.

Thank you for your comments.

My lineage:

Choi Yong Sul, Dojunim - Grandmaster Lim, Hyun Soo - me.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
My lineage:

Choi Yong Sul, Dojunim - Grandmaster Lim, Hyun Soo - me.

What would you say are the definitive characteristic of GM Lim's (Jungki Kwan?) hapkido?

What doe "Jungki" mean? (something-inner power?)

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
What would you say are the definitive characteristic of GM Lim's (Jungki Kwan?) hapkido?

Well, to quote Grandmaster Lim, he would say it is Choi Dojunim's Hapkido; but I would say generally the "directness" of the technique, ther is no wasted motion and no exaggerated action.

What does "Jungki" mean? (something-inner power?)

There are several translations I have heard, my favorite is "School of the Correct Path"

Hope that answers your questions.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is cool. You minds well stop arguing with mattm. because I think you are just beating a no win situation. I do have a question and don't take this the wrong way because its not meant like that. Do you know why your instructor wears a blue uniform and in some pictures it looks like its trimmed in white and others it looks pink. I was just wondering because I've only seen Judo gi's that are blue.

The blue uniforms are a relatively new thing. I believe they represent both Grandmaster Lim's pen name (Blue Stone), as well as a simple distinction between Black Belts and Master Level.

Yes, Grandmaster Lim has a uniform with a Lavendar Lapel, generally now he just wears the white trim.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hope that answers your questions.

Yes, thank you.

There are some, however, (me included) that would argue that Choi did not teach hapkido at all, but taught yawara, and that it wasn't actually hapkido at all until his students put their individual stamps on what they learned from Choi.

This is probably a discussion for another thread, though.

Thanks again for providing more information on your branch of the family tree!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know my full lineage; I'm fairly new to Hapkido; I began in February and am still just a yellow belt. GM Kim is a former ROK Special Army Hapkido instructor, and thats about all that I know.

Daniel

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know my full lineage; I'm fairly new to Hapkido; I began in February and am still just a yellow belt. GM Kim is a former ROK Special Army Hapkido instructor, and thats about all that I know.

Daniel
I talked to my master this evening and asked him about his lineage. I knew that his master had passed away and that his master's son had become the head of the federation he had been a part of. Turned out that he had been in the International Hapkido Federation.

Well, I now have my hapkido lineage. Kim Hee Wk - Myung Jae Nam - Ji Han Jae - Choi Yong Sul> Myung Jae Nam> Kim Hee Wk> Daniel Sullivan.

Daniel

JimR

White Belt
Reaction score
FWIW:
Choi, Yong Sool > Ji, Han Jae > Kwon, Tae Man > Li'l, Ol' Me

Hapkiyoosool

White Belt
Reaction score
Choi Yong-Sul, Ji Han-Jae/Han Bong-Soo/Myung Jae-Nam, Chang Young-Shil, Me.

Grandmaster Chang studied under GM Ji (with occasional access to Choi during demos and seminars) until GM Ji moved to the USA and then fell under GM Han (until GM Han moved to the states), and then worked with GM Myung for a while along with Masuda Sensei in Japan. GM Chang started his school in Song Tan City, 1968 and has been there ever since. In the original picture of our dojang in Korea on the opening page of our website, you can see Masuda Sensei sitting right next to GM Chang. Imagine a Japanese instructor going to Korea to pay homage to a Korean Instructor. Pretty interesting.

I do agree that our style does look more Japanese (due to movement, wearing Hakama, using Japanese Katana, ect.) than other Hapkido schools. It is probably because of the inter-cultural training and strong link to the Akikai(pre-war Aikido) and Aikijujutsu. Grandmaster Chang would travel and train in Japan to learn more of the origin of what we do. He found it with the Aikijujutsu as well with the Aikido players. Aiki and Hapki share the same calligraphy characters and mean the same thing but the Koreans (I find) are more modern real-world(aggressive) with the techniques as in: No stylized attacks. No robotic movements (which by the way build great muscle memory). Like doing a Hyung(kata) in slow motion. We do more modern and western attacks in our style while still practicing the more traditional stuff as well. It doesn't really matter so much how they attack, the truth is they have to first get to you.

Anyway, the human body only twist certain ways, if it works, do it well to the best of your ability!

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I believe many of the masters claiming to be direct students of Choi only trained with him through seminars. I won't say any specifically but Ji Han Jae has pointed out himself that many of them were originally his students.

As to my Hapkido lineage, I have no idea... To be honest I think my old Hapkido instructor trained with someone who trained with someone who trained with Grand Master Ji. So I'm pretty low on the lineage ladder. Lineage only becomes an issue to me when people lie about it.

dandred

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello I'm new here!

My master is an 8th dan in hapkido, his master was Lim, Hyun Soo.

I'm in Korea. :wavey:

dandred

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you.

Do you study katas in your form of hapkido?

Also, why is hapkido a spelling mistake on this forum?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We do formal parnter katas, so to speak, but not solo kata. Not sure about the spell check, but it would seem odd that the word hapkido would not be recognized on an MA forum.

Daniel

dandred

White Belt
Reaction score
We do formal parnter katas, so to speak, but not solo kata. Not sure about the spell check, but it would seem odd that the word hapkido would not be recognized on an MA forum.

Daniel

I would have Pmed this but there is no option under your name......

I study.....

Monday.. Gonbop. basically sequences of kicks strikes and blocks, I'm still under my first dan so the moves only number under 20 in each sequence.
Some of the 3rd dan people have over 75 to remember!!!

Tuesday.... punching and striking with lots of effort on posture.

Wednesday.... kicking, hard work for me...

Thursday..... combos of punching and kicking

Friday....... Sometimes sparing, sometimes heavy training.

Everyday is half self defence, that is what I love!!!