questions about HapKiDo

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good evening I'm a firsth degree black belt in TKD, I took a few lessons (not many) in HKD and wanted to ask: 1.-Wich one was first TKD or HKD? I mean wicho one is the oldest. 2.-It seems both MA are realted, I mean in TKD self defense we use a lot of moves that actually seems like HKD. 3.-What are the diference beetwen both korean martial arts?

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For those most part I would say is one is more SD suited, but then some TKD folks would get made so I will say this Hapkido holds true to the roots for the most part.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They're about the same age. Both evolved from Japanese arts (karate and jujutsu, respectively) around the end of WWII. I imagine much of the similarities are due to cross-breeding. They've become more similar over the years, I'd say--esp. in that HKD has added more kicking. But, it varies from org. to org.!

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good evening I'm a firsth degree black belt in TKD, I took a few lessons (not many) in HKD and wanted to ask: 1.-Wich one was first TKD or HKD? I mean wicho one is the oldest. 2.-It seems both MA are realted, I mean in TKD self defense we use a lot of moves that actually seems like HKD. 3.-What are the diference beetwen both korean martial arts?

Manny

Hello all,

1. The roots of TKD are older in Korea than Hapkido. We know most of the kwans of TKD (Chung Do Kwan, Oh Do Kwan, etc.) were founded in the early to mid-1940's. Hapkido was not taught until February 21, 1948 in Korea for the first time in any formalized way. So, in respect to a few years, TKD is "older".

2. Depending on what you train in, it is quite common knowledge that General Choi (of the ITF) "borrowed" much of the "self-defense" techniques directly from Hapkido. I believe the book has an orange cover, but General Choi's first book uses Master Chung Kee Tae (Canadian Hapkido Association) to demonstrate the self defense techniques.

3. Differences are both simple and complex. Looking from the Traditional (non-student altered), TKD derives from Shotokan (in at least 2 cases) and Hapkido is from the teaching of Takeda Sokaku. Both arts over the years have in some cases tried to become "more Korean" with fanciful histories and exotic training stories from mountain retreats to being the single trainee of a mystic monk.

Beware the silly stories, and have fun taining.

Latest Discussions