What is your hapkido lineage?

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
dandred,

Did Master Lim promote your teacher to 8th dan?

dandred

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure......

He has a hanminjok certificate with his 8th don on it, along with his 5th 6th and 7th.

He also has a 7th dan in gumdo.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dandred, thank you for your response.

Your teacher would have learned Jungki hapkido under Lim Chongsanim. The style comes directly from Choi Yong Sul himself, and faithfully reflects what Choi learned in Japan. You're a lucky student. :wink2:

dandred

White Belt
Reaction score
Dandred, thank you for your response.

Your teacher would have learned Jungki hapkido under Lim Chongsanim. The style comes directly from Choi Yong Sul himself, and faithfully reflects what Choi learned in Japan. You're a lucky student. :wink2:

Actually I made a mistake he only has a 7th dan which he got in 2008, I was a little drunken when I posted last night to the details passed me a little, sorry for any confusion.

dandred

White Belt
Reaction score
Actually I made a mistake he only has a 7th dan which he got in 2008, I was a little drunken when I posted last night to the details passed me a little, sorry for any confusion.

Today I got kicked in the ball by a 16 year old and hit in the nose by my master!!

I'm 30 and have only been studying for about 8 months, I get my **** whipped by the kids which is quite embarrassing, but then again they have been studying for nearly 10 years!!

Ty Hatfield

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is my Hapkido Lineage

Choi, Yong Sul
Ji, Han Jae
Lee, Yong Ho
Ahn, Hyeon Whan
Hatfield, Ty

Nothing

White Belt
Reaction score
As far as I know:
Ji, Han Jae
Choi, Kyung
Me

I have never asked Mr. Choi too much about his teacher. I know he does not care for Mr. Ji because of a movie Mr. Ji did with Bruce Lee...of which I know nothing about - nor do I care.

Here is what matters to me. The man who teaches me is 65 years old and is very good at what he does. He is a good teacher and cares deeply about Hapkido. Also - I would hate to tangle with him as he is a tough piece of iron.

I love him and the art he teaches me. I read/study anything and everything on Hapkido I can. I can defend myself with my Hapkido and it has added to the quality of my life. I will be his student as long as he will have me.

The rest is academic and really brings nothing of value to my life. Just my thoughts.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ji, Ha Jae
Massan Ghorbani
Me

If you're ever in Ireland, get on the Dart (suburban railway) from any station in Dublin to Bray (Co Wicklow). Massan's dojang is right behind the Dart station. He was recently promoted to 9th Dan by Dojunim. When you see him in action, you won't be disappointed!!

CKB

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My Hapkido linage is:

Choi Yong-sool -> Kim Jung-soo -> Shahram Lashgari -> Me.

347if7l.jpg

DJN Choi Yong-sool with GM Kim Jung-soo

148ds1v.jpg

GM Kim Jung-soo, 9. dan. with GM Shahram Lashgari, 7. dan.

dcx4d1.jpg

GM Lashgari and me (3. dan).

The Belgian Sin Moo Hapkido group has compiled this family tree for Hapkido. Might be of interest for those researching their own linage. :)

Hapkido family tree:
HapkidoFamilyTree.pdf

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Regarding your Hapkido family tree, that is an impressive collection. I did notice that Sung Moo Kwan was not mentioned. That was founded by the late Lee Chong Moon. I had the honor of studying under him in Korea, being promoted to 2nd Dan. He taught me 3rd Dan techniques, but I never tested for that. Nor have I been active in studying for the last many odd years due to life issues, including health.

I think like many arts, there are many Hapkido kwans that are started by relative unknowns (not including GM Lee), who may or may not be excellent teachers. Often hard to keep up with all of them.

Reactions: CKB

CKB

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Regarding your Hapkido family tree, that is an impressive collection.

It is not my work, but the work of the Belgian Sin Moo Hapkido group. But yes, definitely a great piece of work. There is an email in the pdf to send further additions/corrections. :)