What is your governing body?

lm123

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk. You might consider going over to the Meet & Greet and tell us about yourself.

There is no such thing as WTF style. Which also no longer exists, having changed their name to WT. WT has no schools, no curriculum, and awards no rank. It is a sports governing body for Olympic-style competition. No more, no less.

Also not true. KKW certification is something like $100. That's comparatively inexpensive.

Again, nope. The KKW has specific curriculum requirements, but they are not at all tough. That is one reason why there are so many baby black belts in the KKW system.
For that matter, although the KKW "requires" the taegeuk poomse, there is zero enforcement, and there are tons of KKW black belts who don't know anything at all about the taegeuk forms.

More accurately, it's a one time fee for each rank. You pay for 1st Dan. And again for 2nd Dan. etc.
And this is true of every rank in every school in every system I ever heard of. Rank doesn't expire.
As I said, I got mine a long time ago. WTF was just changed to WT in 2017, so I wasn't aware. Our competitions followed WT style and we competed with Taegeuk forms.

At several schools I went to, they offered Kukkiwon certifications or other certifications, and in my experience, those other ones were always cheaper... Partially because the Kukkiwon ones required sending paperwork to Korea [the certifications have seals and signatures on them that must be done in-person], and there were a lot of fees associated with that. I'd be surprised if they were cheaper than other certifications, but things might have changed since I was looking into it. Even back then though, it wasn't ridiculously expensive and worth the few extra bucks.

In terms of the curriculum, I know for second dan, the bare minimum requirements were absolutely brutal, and my school was pretty strict about it. First dan wasn't nearly as bad so a lot of people can get through that one, but it's gotta get stricter as you go up the dans or we'd have 4th dans all over the place. I imagine this is probably regulated based on an integrity system, and lots of money-focused or well-intentioned upper ranks may let A LOT slide. However, a master of high reputation/rank is probably going to be stricter overseeing these exams to maintain his reputation. Mine was a 8th dan from the Korean military, so I imagine he didn't let a lot slide as others do.

Yes, pardon me. I should've clarified there's a fee for each dan. You shouldn't ever have to pay for your 1st dan again even if you switch schools. But yes, I've never heard of that being done any other way, except if you do not have a Kukkiwon certification and you switch schools, they may make you re-test for 1st dan based on their certification/testing system.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In terms of the curriculum, I know for second dan, the bare minimum requirements were absolutely brutal, and my school was pretty strict about it.
The Kukkiwon requirement for 1st Dan is performing the eight Taegeuk poomsae. Which, as mentioned, is ignored by lots of schools that use other forms.
The Kukkiwon requirement for promotion from 1st to 2nd Dan is performing Koryo. That's not a particularly brutal requirement.
Our system requires the eight Palgwae for MDK certification, or the Taegeuks for those who want KKW certification. We also require Koryo for 1st Dan, and Keumgang for 2nd (Keumgang is the KKW 3rd Dan requirement.

Last edited:

lm123

White Belt
Reaction score
The Kukkiwon requirement for 1st Dan is performing the eight Taegeuk poomsae. Which, as mentioned, is ignored by lots of schools that use other forms.
The Kukkiwon requirement for promotion from 1st to 2nd Dan is performing Koryo. That's not a particularly brutal requirement.
Our system requires the eight Palgwae for MDK certification, or the Taegeuks for those who want KKW certification. We also require Koryo for 1st Dan, and Keumgang for 2nd (Keumgang is the KKW 3rd Dan requirement.
That's the "guaranteed" poomsae requirement, but there are many other requirements. You're also expected to be capable of performing any of the previous poomsae. They will usually ask you to do 2 or 3 more after the Koryo, but they won't tell you which ones beforehand. Also, there's scoring systems for these so if you make a certain number of mistakes, you won't pass. I've never actually seen that happen though (maybe they give you another chance?). There are also other requirements, and this is where it gets dicey because the wording is interesting. It gives tons of lists of things you should be proficient in for different categories, such as sparring, board breaking, kicking techniques, etc. Different schools probably go about testing these different ways, but for my second dan, I had to run 4 miles and immediately proceed to 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups with everyone counting (they sure loved to peer pressure you lol). Then they'd immediately make you spar two 2nd dan or above black belts at the same time for several rounds. That first part was probably the worst, but after that, you moved onto poomsae, demonstrating techniques (probably 200 kicks, but focusing on technique not power), answering questions (they gave you a study guide: lots of Korean terms/history/symbolism), and board breaking (which I don't remember exactly what it was, but there were combination kicks with thinner boards, and then single kicks with multiple decently thick boards; I know for some of the upper dans, this can get pretty crazy.... think bricks ha). You also had to write an essay beforehand, which was basically to demonstrate your understanding of the tenets of TKD and how to appropriately use them.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the "guaranteed" poomsae requirement, but there are many other requirements. You're also expected to be capable of performing any of the previous poomsae.
That's sort of a "duh" moment. Of course you're expected to know the earlier material That's another of those "true everywhere" things.
They will usually ask you to do 2 or 3 more after the Koryo, but they won't tell you which ones beforehand.
Again, not particularly grueling, and not uncommon in the slightest.
Also, there's scoring systems for these so if you make a certain number of mistakes, you won't pass.
Again, if that's not universally true, it is pretty close to it.
I've never actually seen that happen though (maybe they give you another chance?).
Of course you get another chance. In commercial schools, you might be paying for a re-test, but that's certainly not universal.
There are also other requirements, and this is where it gets dicey because the wording is interesting. It gives tons of lists of things you should be proficient in for different categories, such as sparring, board breaking, kicking techniques, etc. Different schools probably go about testing these different ways, but for my second dan, I had to run 4 miles and immediately proceed to 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups with everyone counting (they sure loved to peer pressure you lol). Then they'd immediately make you spar two 2nd dan or above black belts at the same time for several rounds. That first part was probably the worst, but after that, you moved onto poomsae, demonstrating techniques (probably 200 kicks, but focusing on technique not power), answering questions (they gave you a study guide: lots of Korean terms/history/symbolism), and board breaking (which I don't remember exactly what it was, but there were combination kicks with thinner boards, and then single kicks with multiple decently thick boards; I know for some of the upper dans, this can get pretty crazy.... think bricks ha). You also had to write an essay beforehand, which was basically to demonstrate your understanding of the tenets of TKD and how to appropriately use them.
None of that is a KKW requirement. Our students break starting with their first test. None of it seems particularly grueling though. Some does seem rather pointless. I'm training martial artists, not cross country runners. Fitness matters, but it's not part of the curriculum. Besides, after a 1st Dan candidate has performed a minimum of 9 poomse, one-step drills, sparred against single and multiple opponents, and performed the multiple breaks they're tested on for 1st Dan, I know all I need to know about their conditioning.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, @lm123, I don't really know how tough your schools tests were. But I do know the KKW requirements, because we offer KKW certification. Which means I have to. And the KKW requirements are just not all that difficult. Else we wouldn't have so many baby black belts in the KKW system. Or "Masters" who are not old enough to drink.

lm123

White Belt
Reaction score
That's sort of a "duh" moment. Of course you're expected to know the earlier material That's another of those "true everywhere" things.

Again, not particularly grueling, and not uncommon in the slightest.

Again, if that's not universally true, it is pretty close to it.

Of course you get another chance. In commercial schools, you might be paying for a re-test, but that's certainly not universal.

None of that is a KKW requirement. Our students break starting with their first test. None of it seems particularly grueling though. Some does seem rather pointless. I'm training martial artists, not cross country runners. Fitness matters, but it's not part of the curriculum. Besides, after a 1st Dan candidate has performed a minimum of 9 poomse, one-step drills, sparred against single and multiple opponents, and performed the multiple breaks they're tested on for 1st Dan, I know all I need to know about their conditioning.
Article 4 - A super brief mention of the other requirements.

If you go there and click on "The Rules of TaeKwonDo Promotion Test," it gives a full detailed list of requirements given by the Kukkiwon, regarding testing as well as the required examiner's qualifications and test scoring system (check out Articles 17-19 of Chapter 4). The "basic movement" requirement is likely where my running, push-ups, and sit-ups came into play along with demonstrating techniques.

Article 17 (Method to Divide and Implement Standard Promotion Test Subjects)

① The standard promotion test subjects in Article 11 Section 1 of the Regulations of Taekwondo Promotion Test shall be divided and implemented as described in each of the following items:
1. Practical subjects

(a) Basic movement subject: they shall be composed of Taekwondo’s basics, including Stance [Seogi] (wide stance [Neolphyeo-seogi], closed stance [Moa-seogi], special pattern stance [Teuksupoom-seogi]), defence (blocking [Makgi], Grabbing [Japgi]), offence (punching [Jireugi], striking [Chigi], thrusting [Jiireugi], striking [Chagi], snapping [Kkeokgi], throwing down or tipping up [Neomgigi]), special patterns [Teuksupoom]. For one (1) promotion test, it shall be implemented for not more than eight (8) persons for applicants under the age of 15, and for not more than six (6) persons for applicants of the age of 15 or above.

(b) Poomsae subjects: they shall be composed of Yougupja (Kup-grade) Poomsae (Taegeuk 1 (il) jang to 8 (pal) jang), YouDanja Poomsae (Goryeo, Geumgang, Taebaek, Pyeongwon, Shipjin, Jitae, Choengwon, Hansu, Ilyeo). For one (1) 26 - 8 promotion test, it shall be implemented for not more than eight (8) persons for applicants under the age of 15, and for not more than six (6) persons for applicants of the age of 15 or above.

1) Designated Poomsae: it shall be designated by drawing lots on the day of promotion test implementation; one (1) Poomsae shall be implemented for each Poom·Dan; and as for 1 (il) Poom, two (2) Poomsae shall be designated by drawing lots

2) Required Poomsae: it must be designated for each Poom·Dan and required to be implemented; one person shall implement one (1) Poomsae; and as for 1 (il) Poom, a designated Poomsae shall be substituted.

(c) Gyeorugi [sparring] subject: for one (1) promotion test, a competition Gyeorugi shall be implemented with two (2) persons in pairs.
(d) Gyeokpa subject: for one (1) promotion test, one (1) person shall implement a Sonnal (ridge hand) Gyeokpa, a Bal (foot) Gyeokpa

2. Theoretical subjects
(a) Written test subjects: applicant shall specify in an answer sheet relevant answers to twenty (20) questions set in objective and subjective forms with respect to the knowledge with which Taekwondo players should be familiar, including Taekwondo history, spirituality, philosophy, game, competition, components.
(b) Essay subjects: subjects set for Taekwondo, a form of answer sheet, answering directions, instructions, etc. shall be presented, and the answer sheet shall be filled out in Korean or English and submitted within a certain time limit.

According to Article 27, Dan promotion test examiners have to have yearly training, and "Promotion test assignees shall provide Kukkiwon with a plan for promotion test implementation of the present year [and] a report of promotion test implementation," implying their tests have to be approved annually by the Kukkiwon before being administered and reports of implementation are sent to the Kukkiwon afterwards. Bare minimum tests may be frowned upon or denied (I wouldn't know). But regardless, this confirms the "basic movements," poomsae (including all previous ones), and sparring two people at once is definitely required for 2nd Dan. There are 3 promotion test examiners present for every test, and there are supposedly consequences if they do not follow the approved promotion test plan and assess to the best of their ability. So, sure, I didn't see running in there, but it's a hell of a lot more than just one poomsae. Also, I've never seen a black belt test in my life that didn't involve board-breaking haha

lm123

White Belt
Reaction score
Just to clarify, @lm123, I don't really know how tough your schools tests were. But I do know the KKW requirements, because we offer KKW certification. Which means I have to. And the KKW requirements are just not all that difficult. Else we wouldn't have so many baby black belts in the KKW system. Or "Masters" who are not old enough to drink.
True. I agree that 1st Dan doesn't generally mean much. I guess it's a nice milestone for people and demonstrates a lot of time and dedication, but I wouldn't necessarily guarantee someone's a great fighter just because they have a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Dan haha.. 4th and up I'd hope they have to have at least a good bit of skill. Also, there does seem to be a lot of money-hungry 4th(&up) Dans that will pass anyone because they make more money passing people who spend a lot and they don't want to risk discouraging them. Plus the 3 test examiners could all be buddies that have their minds made up way beforehand based on what will benefit them.

Also, I have my doubts that a 4th Dan at 20 years old would be worthy of the title (only few close exceptions I can think of would be children of Grand Masters who had been doing it practically out of the womb). Although, assuming it takes ~3 years to get to 1st Dan, it would take at least 9 years from the start to be able to go from 4th poom to 4th Dan when you turn 18 [1 year interval between 1st->2nd poom; 2 years between 2nd -> 3rd poom; 3 years between 3rd->4th poom; additional testing required for 4th poom -> 4th Dan, based on appendix No. 1 of that document I sent you the link to before]. I would hope there can't be thattt many "masters" making it through that quick, but I guess I'm going off of my experiences where the Masters were very strict. They probably did make it harder than it needed to be lol wouldn't be surprised... But I guess I'd rather have that than a belt that means nothing

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Article 4 - A super brief mention of the other requirements.

If you go there and click on "The Rules of TaeKwonDo Promotion Test," it gives a full detailed list of requirements given by the Kukkiwon, regarding testing as well as the required examiner's qualifications and test scoring system (check out Articles 17-19 of Chapter 4). The "basic movement" requirement is likely where my running, push-ups, and sit-ups came into play along with demonstrating techniques.

Article 17 (Method to Divide and Implement Standard Promotion Test Subjects)

① The standard promotion test subjects in Article 11 Section 1 of the Regulations of Taekwondo Promotion Test shall be divided and implemented as described in each of the following items:
1. Practical subjects

(a) Basic movement subject: they shall be composed of Taekwondo’s basics, including Stance [Seogi] (wide stance [Neolphyeo-seogi], closed stance [Moa-seogi], special pattern stance [Teuksupoom-seogi]), defence (blocking [Makgi], Grabbing [Japgi]), offence (punching [Jireugi], striking [Chigi], thrusting [Jiireugi], striking [Chagi], snapping [Kkeokgi], throwing down or tipping up [Neomgigi]), special patterns [Teuksupoom]. For one (1) promotion test, it shall be implemented for not more than eight (8) persons for applicants under the age of 15, and for not more than six (6) persons for applicants of the age of 15 or above.

(b) Poomsae subjects: they shall be composed of Yougupja (Kup-grade) Poomsae (Taegeuk 1 (il) jang to 8 (pal) jang), YouDanja Poomsae (Goryeo, Geumgang, Taebaek, Pyeongwon, Shipjin, Jitae, Choengwon, Hansu, Ilyeo). For one (1) 26 - 8 promotion test, it shall be implemented for not more than eight (8) persons for applicants under the age of 15, and for not more than six (6) persons for applicants of the age of 15 or above.

1) Designated Poomsae: it shall be designated by drawing lots on the day of promotion test implementation; one (1) Poomsae shall be implemented for each Poom·Dan; and as for 1 (il) Poom, two (2) Poomsae shall be designated by drawing lots

2) Required Poomsae: it must be designated for each Poom·Dan and required to be implemented; one person shall implement one (1) Poomsae; and as for 1 (il) Poom, a designated Poomsae shall be substituted.

(c) Gyeorugi [sparring] subject: for one (1) promotion test, a competition Gyeorugi shall be implemented with two (2) persons in pairs.
(d) Gyeokpa subject: for one (1) promotion test, one (1) person shall implement a Sonnal (ridge hand) Gyeokpa, a Bal (foot) Gyeokpa

2. Theoretical subjects
(a) Written test subjects: applicant shall specify in an answer sheet relevant answers to twenty (20) questions set in objective and subjective forms with respect to the knowledge with which Taekwondo players should be familiar, including Taekwondo history, spirituality, philosophy, game, competition, components.
(b) Essay subjects: subjects set for Taekwondo, a form of answer sheet, answering directions, instructions, etc. shall be presented, and the answer sheet shall be filled out in Korean or English and submitted within a certain time limit.

According to Article 27, Dan promotion test examiners have to have yearly training, and "Promotion test assignees shall provide Kukkiwon with a plan for promotion test implementation of the present year [and] a report of promotion test implementation," implying their tests have to be approved annually by the Kukkiwon before being administered and reports of implementation are sent to the Kukkiwon afterwards. Bare minimum tests may be frowned upon or denied (I wouldn't know). But regardless, this confirms the "basic movements," poomsae (including all previous ones), and sparring two people at once is definitely required for 2nd Dan. There are 3 promotion test examiners present for every test, and there are supposedly consequences if they do not follow the approved promotion test plan and assess to the best of their ability. So, sure, I didn't see running in there, but it's a hell of a lot more than just one poomsae. Also, I've never seen a black belt test in my life that didn't involve board-breaking haha
I might be missing something here, but I'm not seeing where that pdf specifies which dan this is for. Or are these the requirements for each dan level? Either way, "basic movement skills" seems like a big stretch to require 4 miles of running, 100 pushups and 100 situps considering they specify what they mean by basic movement, and conditioning is not in there. I'm also not seeing where it indicates that the conditioning for 2nd dan or above would be any more rigorous than first dan.

I'm not a tkd guy so I might be missing something, but that link just supports the idea that those extra requirements were from your school rather than kukkiwon requirements.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, I have my doubts that a 4th Dan at 20 years old would be worthy of the title (only few close exceptions I can think of would be children of Grand Masters who had been doing it practically out of the womb). Although, assuming it takes ~3 years to get to 1st Dan, it would take at least 9 years from the start to be able to go from 4th poom to 4th Dan when you turn 18 [1 year interval between 1st->2nd poom; 2 years between 2nd -> 3rd poom; 3 years between 3rd->4th poom; additional testing required for 4th poom -> 4th Dan, based on appendix No. 1 of that document I sent you the link to before]. I would hope there can't be thattt many "masters" making it through that quick, but I guess I'm going off of my experiences where the Masters were very strict. They probably did make it harder than it needed to be lol wouldn't be surprised... But I guess I'd rather have that than a belt that means nothing
If you can reach it at 18, filling all the requirements, why would they not be worthy of the title? i'd assume being worthy of the title would literally be that they've done the requirements to earn the title. Do you have an additional personal requirement you'd expect people to follow?

For the record I know many people who claimed to be 3rd/4th dan in TKD back when I was in college. A very small sample size suggests that it's not that uncommon.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
True. I agree that 1st Dan doesn't generally mean much.
The KKW 1st Dan doesn't generally mean much. Other systems have different standards. A 1st Dan in our Moo Duk Kwan branch is considered a teaching rank. The KKW considers 4th Dan the lowest instructor rank.
I guess it's a nice milestone for people and demonstrates a lot of time and dedication, but I wouldn't necessarily guarantee someone's a great fighter just because they have a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Dan haha.. 4th and up I'd hope they have to have at least a good bit of skill.
Skill does not necessarily equate to being a great fighter. I know a fellow who is a very talented martial artist. His techniques are absolutely beautiful. His poomsae are a joy to watch. But he is a mediocre fighter.
Also, there does seem to be a lot of money-hungry 4th(&up) Dans that will pass anyone because they make more money passing people who spend a lot and they don't want to risk discouraging them. Plus the 3 test examiners could all be buddies that have their minds made up way beforehand based on what will benefit them.
Only one person needs to sign the KKW promotion application, not 3. Refer back to earlier, where I pointed out that there is zero enforcement.
Also, I have my doubts that a 4th Dan at 20 years old would be worthy of the title (only few close exceptions I can think of would be children of Grand Masters who had been doing it practically out of the womb).
It's completely acceptable under KKW standards for a 20 year old to be a Master.
Although, assuming it takes ~3 years to get to 1st Dan,
The KKW is totally fine with a 1st Dan being granted after one year.
it would take at least 9 years from the start
It typically takes about 8 years for a 1st Dan in our system.
to be able to go from 4th poom to 4th Dan when you turn 18 [1 year interval between 1st->2nd poom; 2 years between 2nd -> 3rd poom; 3 years between 3rd->4th poom; additional testing required for 4th poom -> 4th Dan, based on appendix No. 1 of that document I sent you the link to before].
I don't think most test like that. It's more typical for a 2nd poom to just test for 3rd Dan after they're of age. I'm not entirely sure of this, because we do not use poom ranks. No baby black belts.

I suspect the school you attended ratcheted up the requirements. In my view, that's not a bad thing at all, but it's also important not to assume that your schools requirements reflect the actual KKW requirements. It doesn't really sound as if they do.

Last edited:

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
None. Too many politics, cult of personalities, belt mills, and cash grabs. Used to be KKW and USCDKA, now unaffiliated and all the better for it.
We do the following, red text is optional: Gicho/Kibon (Taikyoku), Taegeuk, Kukki Yudanja/Godanja, Pyung Ahn (heian), Chul gi (naihanchi), Palsek (bassai dai), Yumbee (empi), Kong Sang Kun (Kanku dai)

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I do give a Kukkiwon because they are really cheap to aquire and they are recognized anywhere the world. We tend to go to a lot of outside tournaments and when one of my students gets carded, they have to have it or it goes no further.
I hear this all the time and yet every KKW student we have had visit (college town, so it's common) is super sub par at best. We had a KKW 3rd dan come to our school that I absolutely could not let stand at the front of the class as an example for beginners because they were so bad. I don't even care about technique that much because everyone is different and everyone has their own story but this guy had the absolute worst focus. coordination on par with our 8th gup students, and put in no effort. When I hear someone say they are a KKW certified black belt my very first thought every single time is always to have them show me what they know first because KKW rank means about as much as a crayon drawing from a 5 year old. The most skilled we ever had visit was an ATA 1st dan. Couldn't fight very well but damn his forms were pretty.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just FYI, I co-own/manage a KKW TKD school. I like KKW, though I find them kind of, mmm, not always the most helpful or responsive organization. But that has it's pros and cons - they set a minimum curriculum, but allow a huge amount of autonomy for schools to implement in their own way. Sometimes that means that there are schools that hand out rank like candy, but it also means that you don't have someone breathing down your neck telling you how to run your business. So... comme ci, comme ca.
a) Basic movement subject: they shall be composed of Taekwondo’s basics, including Stance [Seogi] (wide stance [Neolphyeo-seogi], closed stance [Moa-seogi], special pattern stance [Teuksupoom-seogi]), defence (blocking [Makgi], Grabbing [Japgi]), offence (punching [Jireugi], striking [Chigi], thrusting [Jiireugi], striking [Chagi], snapping [Kkeokgi], throwing down or tipping up [Neomgigi]), special patterns [Teuksupoom]

Students should demonstrate they can do basic Taekwondo techniques like punch, kicks, blocks, stances, etc.

(b) Poomsae subjects: they shall be composed of Yougupja (Kup-grade) Poomsae (Taegeuk 1 (il) jang to 8 (pal) jang), YouDanja Poomsae (Goryeo, Geumgang, Taebaek, Pyeongwon, Shipjin, Jitae, Choengwon, Hansu, Ilyeo).

Students need to perform Taegeuk forms, and the appropriate Yudanja form(s) for the rank they're testing for.

Some KKW schools have been teaching older form sets like Palgwe instead and still issuing KKW rank for them, and KKW is trying to get them to stop that and to fall in line with the official curriculum. So they're asking examiners to stop accepting these other non-KKW form sets for KKW rank.
So at tests, students should be paired up with another student and spar them. (We have students do 5 full matches at dan testing, but my understanding is that if you test at KKW you'll do fewer.)

So the minimum breaking requirement they're laying out is at least 1 hand technique break (IIRC "sonnal" is the pinky side edge of your hand, so that would be a knifehand or "karate chop") and 1 kicking break.
2. Theoretical subjects
Yeah, starting at 6th dan they require testers to submit an essay to KKW. It sounds from this like if you test at KKW you might have to hand-write the answers? Mr WaterGal wrote a 10-page paper on TKD instructional methodology for his test and turned in a printout, I can't imagine having to hand-write that lol.
According to Article 27, Dan promotion test examiners have to have yearly training, and "Promotion test assignees shall provide Kukkiwon with a plan for promotion test implementation of the present year [and] a report of promotion test implementation," implying their tests have to be approved annually by the Kukkiwon before being administered and reports of implementation are sent to the Kukkiwon afterwards.
In Korea they might do that. For the rest of the world, they only recently (this year? last year?) started requiring school owners/head instructors to have passed the Master Instructor course in order to issue black belt rank, nevermind doing any of the rest of that.

The Master Instructor course is a 40-hour course that KKW puts on, both in Korea at KKW HQ and internationally in a number of cities. This class reviews details of the KKW curriculum, covers some stuff about how to teach, TKD history, etc. Once you pass it, the certification is good for life.

If you have that, then the process for testing is.... whatever you want it to be. Then you log in to the KMS section of the KKW website and upload the info for your students, pay a fee, and wait a couple months for KKW to mail you the certificates.

I'd imagine that KKW looks at the data and makes some reports or something each year, but the examiner doesn't have to do that.

Bare minimum tests may be frowned upon or denied (I wouldn't know).

KKW has no idea if a particular school is doing bare minimum tests. It's entirely an honor system.

Raistlin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I looked it up...
KKW fee for 1st Dan is $70.
2nd Dan is $90.
3rd Dan is $120.
4th Dan is $150.
5th Dan is $300.
6th Dan is $350.
7th Dan is $450.
8th Dan is $550.
9th Dan is $700.
So at lower ranks, this is a fair bit cheaper than what I've seen reported here. Now, bear in mind that this is the KKW fee. Individual instructors can, and often do, add their own fee to this. Especially if it is a commercial school.
The Moo Duk Kwan system I am a part of is higher than this in the low ranks, but 7th and above is awarded based on service to the art, and there is no fee.
Hello Sir. Which MDK organization are you part of?

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My governing body is the ATA, and I am a 6th Degree Black Belt. We train with the Songahm forms.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You guys.....

Organizations be damned, you know right well your governing body is, was and always will be, your wife.
Hey I'm the head of the house! My wife is the Neck.

She can turn me which ever way she wishes.