what is your favorite counter-attack?

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
what is your favorite counterattack to the list of attacks.

1.) jab cross combo in western boxing.

2.) a kick (jab) to the legs or a roundhouse to the knee.

3.) someone attempting to shoot to the legs for a take-down (tackle).

4.) someone attempting to grapple.

1) Move back and use long range weapons in what I affectionally refer to as a "Swift Kick in the Genitals"...followed by whatever is appropriate for reactions.

2) Parry or absorb the jab. Roundhouse to the knee, I use my Neutral Bow to absorb, or use a leg jam to block. If I feel like I can time it offensively, I use the leg jam to damage instead.

3) Drop and pivot to my neutral bow, followed by several (if I'm being nice) hammering palm heel slaps to vulnerable targets on the back and ribs...or (if I'm not being nice) forearm lifting strikes to his neck and knees to the front of his face.

4) See #1, in addition to hand parries and keeping my feet working.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
3) Drop and pivot to my neutral bow, followed by several (if I'm being nice) hammering palm heel slaps to vulnerable targets on the back and ribs...or (if I'm not being nice) forearm lifting strikes to his neck and knees to the front of his face.

You might want to change that one. Most takedowns are actually performed at very close range, so you won't have much room to move, and pivoting will make it easier for them to pull the legs out.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
1. Blocking charge to sweep. Pass the jab and crush the cross with the point of my elbow. Block to shadow cross counter. Pass pass counter. Charging counter knee... I have too many favorites against the 1-2.

2. Check the kick then counter, take the kick and counter or counter kick.

3. Short round house knee to the face falling into the sprawl (if they are not discouraged). A nice thumb to the eyes.

4. Footwork to avoid or rush them with a quick knockout elbow combo.

Lots of things I like playing with. Some techniques work better on others.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If can? ...atttack the eyes,nose and ears....poke,punch and slap!

In a real fight...you will never know what the first attack will be? ...a guy just throwing a lot of punches....hopefully can avoid and move...than poke'um in the eyes, thoat strikes, groin strikes..

Share you fist,elbows,kicks and headbutts...and evening throwing/take them down to the ground..stomping works!

So many favorites....let them enjoy them all! ..only thing..no one wants to go to jail/prison..............Aloha

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You might want to change that one. Most takedowns are actually performed at very close range, so you won't have much room to move, and pivoting will make it easier for them to pull the legs out.

Dr. Chapel has developed a very nice method of utilizing the NB to stop a takedown. I haven't had a problem, I've tested it (after Dr. Chapel and Dr. Dave's reports of success) against wrestling and bjj buddies of mine. It's actually rather fun to drop back, drop into them, and due to the distance they're so off centered I can push them to the ground with one finger, or use something slightly more powerful and drop them. There are exceptions and admittedly I haven't tested it all day, every day. But it's worked thus far. The neutral bow is by far the most stable stance I've ever used.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dr. Chapel has developed a very nice method of utilizing the NB to stop a takedown. I haven't had a problem, I've tested it (after Dr. Chapel and Dr. Dave's reports of success) against wrestling and bjj buddies of mine. It's actually rather fun to drop back, drop into them, and due to the distance they're so off centered I can push them to the ground with one finger, or use something slightly more powerful and drop them. There are exceptions and admittedly I haven't tested it all day, every day. But it's worked thus far. The neutral bow is by far the most stable stance I've ever used.

From what distance are these guys trying the take-down? Im not trying to seem rude by questioning you or anything, its just most take-down defences Ive heard have generally been done for a far larger distance than a take down would actually occur.
Perhaps it would help if you could show an image of what you're doing?

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The closest range I've tested it on is just outside elbow reach when they started the shoot for the legs. That's the hardest one, and I really have to pay attention to where my partner's body weight is directed. I don't have any video of it at this time. I'll see what I can do.

On a sidebar, I have done it in demos where I have someone run from 20 feet away and attempt a football tackle and I stop their momentum with the same style maneuver.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Went back and found the original thread that got me wondering.

Granted - I don't have all or even some of Dr. Chapel's indexes - (I think he had time to teach me one of them) so I'm probably using a lot of my body I don't need to and compromising other things I'm not even aware of to do this. I've made a note to ask for more next time I get down his way. Here's the thread I was referring to.

http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22773

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The closest range I've tested it on is just outside elbow reach when they started the shoot for the legs. That's the hardest one, and I really have to pay attention to where my partner's body weight is directed. I don't have any video of it at this time. I'll see what I can do.

On a sidebar, I have done it in demos where I have someone run from 20 feet away and attempt a football tackle and I stop their momentum with the same style maneuver.

Good idea would be to instead of defending against just a takedown, have they guy try to hit you so he closes in right up in front of you, and then goes for the takedown.
Thats the most likely situation you'll get if you need to defend yourself, so best try it out.
Video would be helpful, without it its kinda hard to get a clear picture of whats involved.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Went back and found the original thread that got me wondering.

Granted - I don't have all or even some of Dr. Chapel's indexes - (I think he had time to teach me one of them) so I'm probably using a lot of my body I don't need to and compromising other things I'm not even aware of to do this. I've made a note to ask for more next time I get down his way. Here's the thread I was referring to.

http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22773

Its interesting, but still has the problem of not having a visual representation. So if you can whip something up, I'd really appreciate it.