What is this technique called?

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
In our system of Kenpo we have one technique that uses a throw that I believe is common in Judo or JuJutsu but I'm not sure what to call the throw. We usually just call it a suicide roll. It's when you grab ahold of your opponent and fall onto your back. Then you use your legs to flip the person over your head. I'm looking for other ways to use this throw but since I don't know what to call it, it's hard to look it up. Thanks.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
From some of the original 'baddest dudes' :D: WE Fairbairn called it the 'Instep Throw' in Defendu, p. 101 (he used both feet hooked inside the opponent's ankles); Gordon Perrigard in Arwrology: All-Out Hand-to-hand Fighting calls it the 'stomach throw' (you plant one foot in his belly as you fall backwards), p. 11-12. In Kung Fu San Soo, I learned it as planting one foot in the high inner thigh/groin, or the belly. Technicallly (in my line of KFSS, anyway) there are no codified techs, only ways of moving based on the art's principles, so no name for this was given. All terms are in English, also.

Now if you're looking for a nice Japanese name, sorry, can't help there. It can be a very dangerous move, even to practice.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
In our system of Kenpo we have one technique that uses a throw that I believe is common in Judo or JuJutsu but I'm not sure what to call the throw. We usually just call it a suicide roll. It's when you grab ahold of your opponent and fall onto your back. Then you use your legs to flip the person over your head. I'm looking for other ways to use this throw but since I don't know what to call it, it's hard to look it up. Thanks.

It might be Tomonage....
http://www.judoinfo.com/tomonage.htm

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
We classify those type of throws as "Sacrifice throws" Suicide is kind of macabre ;)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, tomonage is what I've heard it called as well. When I was in the Marines we called it a monkey flip. Great for an overpowering lunge from the front. I like to use the instep into the groin in a scoop kick fashion when doing this technique. It makes your attacker take a deep breath as they are going through the air, increasing the probability of getting the air knocked out of them when they land. In our style we use a very slight variation of that technique and call it "Groin block".

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool link. Thanks. I see the translation is Circle Throw. Interesting. When I've been on the receiving end, it's more like clunk throw. :D
That would be more, uh, your ukemi than nage's throw.:roflmao:
Hell, KW, if that were the case then every throw I take ukemi for should be called the "clunk throw".

Dale

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey,
There is another technique called sumi gaeshi that is along the lines of what you describe. Although tomoe nage is most common I find that sumi gaeshi has a wider application, but that is just my personal preference. The two are almost interchangeable and it really comes down to a range issue.

Here is a reference to an animation of it:
http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/sumigaeshi.htm

Regards,
Dale

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as I know I have always heard of them "sacrifice throws", but I think in judo they are called tomoe nage or ura nage (rear version).

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As far as I know I have always heard of them "sacrifice throws", but I think in judo they are called tomoe nage or ura nage (rear version).
Hi,

Sacrifice techniques are a body of techniques, known as sutemi waza.

Tomoe nage is a sacrifice technique, but it's a specific technique, not a group of techniques.

Ura techniques contrast with omote techniques. I believe that ura has a somewhat different meaning among arts like Judo, Jujutsu and Aikido. In the style of Jujutsu I'm familiar with, ura techniques typically involve evading the momentum of the initial attack and blending with that momentum to use it against the attacker. The omote versions of the techniques involve overwhelming the attacker's center and taking him backward or to one of the back diagonal corners.

To my ear, "ura nage" is very general... it would just mean a throw that blends with, harnesses and augments the attacker's energy to his disadvantage.

Hope this helps...

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not into Judo, but when I had heard about those two techniques the difference between tomoe and ura was the way the thrower was facing. But of course I might be completely wrong.