What is the men women ratio in your class?

Gruenewald

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Most of the time, one girl. She's very young compared to everybody else in the class (like 15 I think, and it's an adult class) and she's quite talented; very hard worker. There'll also be the odd day where one of our other women show up though. I don't know, I guess they have things to do =\

We had a pair of women who used to show up, a brown belt and an orange (I think?) but the former was eventually injured somehow and her friend didn't want to show as a result, which I find unfortunate.

Oh also, there are like 12-20 people on average in our classes, so I'd say roughly 15:1 male:female ration. =)

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been doing JuJutsu itself for about 6 months and changed classes around 2 months ago because I found a better teacher.

In the first class there was around 25-30 students 3 of us were women but I guess that's gone down to 2 now. While I was there 2 young girls came for a few beginners lessons and then didn't come back again. In my present class there is so far just me and 4 young men.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We tend to have a 1:5 ratio which I believe is fairly high all things considering.

Chat Noir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm the only woman in my Judo class of all men and young boys, but then I'm also the only woman in my Wing Chun class. You get used to it after a while - I think I'd be shocked to see other women in class along side me after so many years. I'm sure it's different in Korean styles though where the women probably outnumber the men. Go figure...

Judokarl

White Belt
Reaction score
At our locaton I train at we have 6 regular women. And the number of students at our dojo I still dont know. I could have sworn no more than 30 but when we went to the state campoinships we had over 55 studnets competing and more show up to support. So the ratio depends on the alignment of the stars. But generaly its about 1:5 or 1:10 depending on how many men show up and how little women show up.

softstylist

White Belt
Reaction score
we have only a few female practitioners but most are male. I find this a real pity as the art that we practice (jujutsu) is a great art for women and the ones we do have are quite exceptional at it but alas they are few and far between.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have only 3 female students outta 10 regular male students. One works as a dispatcher so she is not there alot.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For adults, it about 3 or 4 men to one woman. For the kids the ratio is slanted even further towards boys, maybe 8 or 10 to 1.

Rick

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Other arts seem to have commented here so I will as well. In Hapkido I would say the ratio was more like 50 to 1 or perhaps greater. It isn't a popular MA to begin with. Fewer women seem to want to do it than men. I have never been sure why, but suspect it is a combination of the grappling and devastation.

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am at a very small dojo that is trying to reestablish itself. Adults 2 men 1 woman, kids class 6 girls one boy ( not counting the two instructors both male) Hopefully we will pick up more as time goes on.

TapouT

White Belt
Reaction score
Looking at all these ratios mines pretty high I guess!

Mines 3 girls out of 9 people usually... Only one adult women and me and the orange belt girl are in highschool.

Latest Discussions