What is Self Defense? (Kenpo-Jiu Jitsu)

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actualy availabily has more to do with the resale price than anything else. Why is the 1st issue of the comic book Super man selling for Millions$$. Well it is'nt the art or the writing. In WW2 most pulp fiction was cut up for AA shells. Henceforth only a few survived, the remaining copies are rare and therefore valuable. Since Mitose book was self or limited in its numbers published is probably the rarer of the two, that's where the value comes in!!

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi Kai,

Yes you are correct on the topic thing, how I know about that.

So lets talk the basic book that James Mitose wrote.

For the time period it was a good book and no matter what you want to say in this time and age it is his first writing. If he published it himself it is even better...

Ed Parkers first book for comparison. Basic book same information only not as indepth..

Mitose's first book in museums and a collector Item selling for hundreds of dollars if you can even find it.

Ed Parkers book, still selling for under $ 20.00 still it is not considered a museum piece, it was written in 1960...less then a decade after Mitose's book...It had no original information...

As for the attack on the guard I will let George Santana figure that one out I am going to forward the information to him....It is on the web for all to see...

Regards, Gary
The book was good for the time. I mean it was the first one in English period. However, I think that Mitose looked a bit stiff in the photos, and I have to agree with the foot alignment issue. Parker's book, by contrast, looked really good in his photos. Dynamic and strong. I don't study EPAK, but I find the pictures very well done. The only reason that Mitose's is a museum piece is because it was the first one in English, not for the quality IMO.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think it was the first in english, allthough it was one of the first. Any value goes back to the how many are there left issue.

Mitose alinemtnts are really off in the book. Again as in the case of the Superman comic book -it's not the photo's or the writing!

gmkuoha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I don't think it was the first in english, allthough it was one of the first. Any value goes back to the how many are there left issue.

Mitose alinemtnts are really off in the book. Again as in the case of the Superman comic book -it's not the photo's or the writing!
* I have one of the first Mitosi's books with Professor Chow in it. It was given to me by Professor Chow when I received my 5th dan from him sometime in the early 80's and it was signed by Professor Chow and made out to me. It is in pretty good condition so is it worth allot of money? I would never sell it as it is worth to me more then money but just wondering. Anyone know what the value is for something like this? This is from his first printing.
Thanks,
Grandmaster Kuoha

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
gmkuoha said:
* I have one of the first Mitosi's books with Professor Chow in it. It was given to me by Professor Chow when I received my 5th dan from him sometime in the early 80's and it was signed by Professor Chow and made out to me. It is in pretty good condition so is it worth allot of money? I would never sell it as it is worth to me more then money but just wondering. Anyone know what the value is for something like this? This is from his first printing.
Thanks,
Grandmaster Kuoha
BookFinder.com has 3 right now. They are 1981 editions. 2 of them are $295.00 each. 1 is $380.00, (excellent cond.)

Your signed 1953 edition (Prof. Chow) would probably go for somewhere in the $1000-$1500 range, maybe more. I remember looking at it several years ago, and don't remember if it was from the first group that didn't have the Kosho crest on the cover.
The first small group that had a drawing of two karateka fighting.

http://museum.hikari.us/books/index50.html

That issue is very rare. It appears to have been printed in a very small batch, and was given away to several people to write reviews on. Hence the letters reprinted in the later editions.

Even more rare is the duplicate set of the actual B&W photos you have that were used to illustrate that book. Hopefully, you've made digital copies of all of Professors early photos and videos.

gmkuoha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That issue is very rare. It appears to have been printed in a very small batch, and was given away to several people to write reviews on. Hence the letters reprinted in the later editions.

Even more rare is the duplicate set of the actual B&W photos you have that were used to illustrate that book. Hopefully, you've made digital copies of all of Professors early photos and videos.[/QUOTE]
* Wow John, you have a good memory. I guess you'd better have being in law enforcement so long. Yes, I still have all that and the tapes with me and Professor Chow talking on it. They have been put on DVD type format but I should be doing that for all the photos and stuff. I also have a ton of stuff that Patsy gave to me after Professor Chow's death. There was allot more that Steven got a hold off and threw it in the trash because he was mad at his Mom, so those were all gone but I have his photo albums and all his other stuff including the huge Kara-Ho scroll that he used for his classes from the early 60's and also the scroll with all the rules and regulations. I am trying to preserve these but have yet to find anyone or anything thta would preserve these as they are so old and the material is sort of like a canvas type. If you know of anything that I could spray on that would keep this for many years, let me know.
This is waking me up to preserve all this as we were victims of the Cedar fire and it wiped out half of my property (workshops, shed, swimming pool and guest house). Being that close I had better do these things and put it in a safe deposit box, huh?
Thanks,
Grandmaster Kuoha

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
BookFinder.com has 3 right now. They are 1981 editions. 2 of them are $295.00 each. 1 is $380.00, (excellent cond.)

Your signed 1953 edition (Prof. Chow) would probably go for somewhere in the $1000-$1500 range, maybe more. I remember looking at it several years ago, and don't remember if it was from the first group that didn't have the Kosho crest on the cover.
The first small group that had a drawing of two karateka fighting.

http://museum.hikari.us/books/index50.html

Even more rare is the duplicate set of the actual B&W photos you have that were used to illustrate that book. Hopefully, you've made digital copies of all of Professors early photos and videos.

If I recall correctly, someone coughed up about $4k for a copy of the one with the two men fighting on the cover last year. Many folks didn't even know it existed. Those scans at the Seinenkai are from Kimo's copy. It was a bit nerve wracking to flip through it. It was kind of like the time my friend let me take his souped up '68 chevelle for a spin. Sure I wanted to, but I didn't want anything to happen to it on my watch.

Matt

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Matt said:
If I recall correctly, someone coughed up about $4k for a copy of the one with the two men fighting on the cover last year. Many folks didn't even know it existed. Those scans at the Seinenkai are from Kimo's copy. It was a bit nerve wracking to flip through it. It was kind of like the time my friend let me take his souped up '68 chevelle for a spin. Sure I wanted to, but I didn't want anything to happen to it on my watch.

Matt
Boy Matt,

I can sure relate to that...

My Brother and I have a bible at his house in a safe place, goes back to the period when our forefathers lived in old europe and came to the Americas...

In it is listed all our relatives back to the time when they departed and came her in the early 1700's (our Moms side)...
It has been well taken care of...When looking at the hand written entries in it sends chills up your spine...

Can you imagine Al Tracy cut his copy up (or one of twenty), put it on the web for all to see???

Talk about sharing, you got to love it, even if he you don't always agree...I don't agree with a lot of what is written, but they have their rights and I have mine...

I will fight for their rights and mine it is in the Constitution of the US...

Just lets keep it on a civil level...

Once upon a time, I would fight at the drop of a hat.
Now I don't wait till it hits the ground...Not much time left, might as well enjoy it while I still can...

I bet Sijo would like to stick his hand in my face, hell I don't blame...I respect him to no end, we just disagree on a few things...

Regards, Gary

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Did you ever get the feeling we followed a rabbit down a hole and have been invited to a very strange tea party?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Did you ever get the feeling we followed a rabbit down a hole and have been invited to a very strange tea party?

Ya Think? The guy with the hat is running the party.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Ya Think? The guy with the hat is running the party.

The.....party......whole thing.....make..sense
talk about......I can't....Sijo.....Doc.....Ha...........

Rabbits.........Kai...........just a secret..............those....in ........the know.............Never..............
Hard...........life..............always..........my fac e..........nice to see.......training..........yeah.

Just thought I'd try it. Gave myself a headache---Dan

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Danjo said:
The.....party......whole thing.....make..sense
talk about......I can't....Sijo.....Doc.....Ha...........

Rabbits.........Kai...........just a secret..............those....in ........the know.............Never..............
Hard...........life..............always..........my fac e..........nice to see.......training..........yeah.

Just thought I'd try it. Gave myself a headache---Dan
Hey Danjo threes my limit...

But I am glad you are showing how you love to embellish...

Good to know...

I told you how MUCH I liked your web site...

Back to the topic... The Book can be picked apart just like my threads only when you show your real style all else pales by comparison...Pathetic...

I remember the old, you scratch my back and I will scratch yours...

No problem...

Regards, Gary

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hey Danjo threes my limit...

But I am glad you are showing how you love to embellish...

Good to know...

I told you how MUCH I liked your web site...

Back to the topic... The Book can be picked apart just like my threads only when you show your real style all else pales by comparison...Pathetic...

I remember the old, you scratch my back and I will scratch yours...

No problem...

Regards, Gary
Just poking fun :)

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
GAB said:
Boy Matt,

I can sure relate to that...

My Brother and I have a bible at his house in a safe place, goes back to the period when our forefathers lived in old europe and came to the Americas...
In it is listed all our relatives back to the time when they departed and came her in the early 1700's (our Moms side)...
It has been well taken care of...When looking at the hand written entries in it sends chills up your spine...
Nice! It's great that you have managed to keep hold of a piece of history like that. It's nice to have some tangible connections to one's past.

Can you imagine Al Tracy cut his copy up (or one of twenty), put it on the web for all to see???

Talk about sharing, you got to love it, even if he you don't always agree...I don't agree with a lot of what is written, but they have their rights and I have mine...
I think they chopped up a 1981 version. I hope they chopped up a 1981 version.
I will fight for their rights and mine it is in the Constitution of the US...

Just lets keep it on a civil level...

Once upon a time, I would fight at the drop of a hat.
Now I don't wait till it hits the ground...Not much time left, might as well enjoy it while I still can...
Hey, I like that one!
I bet Sijo would like to stick his hand in my face, hell I don't blame...I respect him to no end, we just disagree on a few things...

Regards, Gary

Okay, you lost me on that one. I think I missed something there.
Take Care,

Matt

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say something but, I was told to "loose the attitude" by a certain individual who had the power to hit me for 5 rep points. So I will keep my wit to myself.

kell

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GAB said:
Boy Matt,

Regards, Gary
I can guarantee you that Sijo dosen't lose any sleep over your opinions. If fact Sijo dosen't even know you exist.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
I can guarantee you that Sijo dosen't lose any sleep over your opinions. If fact Sijo dosen't even know you exist.
John, I am glad to hear that I can sleep better now...

Regards, Gary

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would say something but, I was told to "loose the attitude" by a certain individual who had the power to hit me for 5 rep points. So I will keep my wit to myself.

OK. I keep reading these things about "rep" points. I'm guessing this means reprimand points. What are they, where are they and why should I care about them?

Thanks.

-John

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
kelly keltner said:
kell
Thats it kell??? "Oh Monk Quest Champ"? Congrats on your new job. Good going dude...

The book is a good one for the time frame. Can you imagine being the son of a mom, who was the daughter of a man, who was a Samurai Warrior and treated like that in the post war era???
Yet he taught his disguised art anyway, had to make a living owning brothels, where did he get that money? It was ok to have them in those days and time...

Think...He had wavy hair not hair as straight as a rapier...Think, lets stick ourselves in that time frame and see what might have happened. He probably considered himself a Ronin Warrior and the 21st descendent...Hmmm what if he really was???

Regards, Gary

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kosho-Monk said:
OK. I keep reading these things about "rep" points. I'm guessing this means reprimand points. What are they, where are they and why should I care about them?

Thanks.

-John
Hi John, You should not on this thread..Go to the Admin forum and read it there.
Ask your questions there in the proper place... If not a moderator will be here and telling us not to talk off topic...

Back to the book...I just was watching a "doce pares" DVD the Filipino arts have a lot of the foot work that is in Mitose's book where did that come from some say Japan some say China some say it went back and forth...

If it did not fit into EPAK who cares, Edmund Parker made up his own style who say's his is the right way??? EPAK people OK.

How about the real fighters the Kajukenbo people who have 4/5/6/7 different arts thrown in together and the best survived...I started in Kaju... I know it is a good art and it saved my bacon, many times...

They were the, black belt thugs of Hawaii and then they became legit and all...Sifu (professor later) John Leoning used to say this is just the street fighting of Hawaii... Good stuff...

I am not kissing up here, I am just telling you my thoughts...

My son and my nephew were in the 92 internationals and got disqualified for fighting to rough...Hey, Hanshi loved it...They (other side) started the rough stuff. Hurt them in a public place and they won't mess with you... Trophies are for those who want to play by the rules...

You don't win the war by playing by the rules...War is Hell, don't go there if you can't handle it...

Regards, Gary

Latest Discussions