What is Ninjutsu... exactly??

K

Kage no Ryu

Hey guys, this is my first post here so please be nice! :D

I've been reading up on Ninjutsu quite a bit lately. I am interested in how you all would characterize Ninpo Taijutsu??

Is it mostly a soft art or a hard art?? Mostly internal or external?? Does it make use of linear movements or circular?? Striking mostly or grappling??

Are "power" moves typical?? Pressure points?? What sorts of techniques are typical in the art??

I know this will probably be hard to do because of all the ryuha that make up the art, but the ones I am most interested in are Togakure Ryu, Gyokko Ryu, and Koto Ryu. If that helps.

Thanks for your time, guys! :asian:

OP
P

Pyros

Originally posted by Kage no Ryu
how you all would characterize Ninpo Taijutsu??

Well, it helps to realize that they are very similar to koryu jujutsu / bujutsu. Actually, most of the ryu-ha in Bujinkan are just that: old samurai bujutsu. Some ninjutsu ryu-ha (i.e. styles with stealth and other covert tactics) are included and they give their flavor to the advanced techniques in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, but up till black belt you are mostly taught techniques and tactics similar or even identical to old traditional Japanese jujutsu. This is an overgeneralization of course, but gives you an idea what to expect in a Bujinkan, Jinenkan or Genbukan dojo.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Its a pretty interesting question really. NInjutsu is a comprehensive art so to be specific and say state it is a striking art would be to catagorical.
I have trained and used linear and circular movement extensively. With emphasis on power and subleties at the same time. Hard and soft LOL.

I would say that the Genbukan probably has a harder form than the Bujinkan though. I have no experience with the Jinenkan.

OP
P

Pyros

Originally posted by Bujingodai
I would say that the Genbukan probably has a harder form than the Bujinkan though. I have no experience with the Jinenkan.

All three use the same kata.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Aware of that. I mean in application if you compare a Genbukan school to the Bujinkan school. A Genbukan trained practitioner will be more aggressive. I guess if that is the only way to explain that. The strictness to form is higher. In the Bujinkan there is a higher depth of creativity.
Anyway, the feeling is harder in the Gen. And as I stated to my experience only.

OP
P

Pyros

Originally posted by Bujingodai
Anyway, the feeling is harder in the Gen. And as I stated to my experience only.

Well, yes, they are more traditional instead of creative, and they are more "warlike" in their approach, but I only see that as a good point.