What is it

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is it that makes Martial Arts so addicting to so many? Why do we put our body and minds though so much Hell and keep coming back for more of the same thing. I know somedays I wonder after a workout that is killing me that man am I stupid!!!! I know most will say it is just part of there life Like me, but was wondering does anybody really knows what brings us to the point of tearing our body and mind to pieces just to put it all back together again?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Man is still link to the " FIGHT or FLEE" response. It's in our genes to be competive.

We are still connected to STRONG is better. Survivial of the species.

Plus it makes the body feel good. Our minds are stronger because of the confidence gain thru training.

It also becomes a hobby we enjoy doing. Our thing here! Today alot of us enjoy the TEACHING part too. Sharing of the knowledge and becoming role models for others to follow.

If it consumes you...? ....then it is for you.......the learning and makeing improvements never will end? ...well ,when we get old...things slow down.....Aloha

PS: Many of us start because we don't like being pick on by BULLYS or predators.....Then we find out...it is more than just self-defense....IT BECOMES A WAY OF LIFE.....

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. The physical activity releases all these groovy chemicals into our brains and makes us think we're enjoying being tossed around and beaten.

2. We're pack animals. We find a pack of other animals that are very much like ourselves and instinctivly want to be a part of said pack.

3. Our more advanced psyche as humans makes us want to strive for self improvement on both the physical and spriritual plane.

Just my 2 cents worth from a very addicted martial artist.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. The physical activity releases all these groovy chemicals into our brains and makes us think we're enjoying being tossed around and beaten.

2. We're pack animals. We find a pack of other animals that are very much like ourselves and instinctivly want to be a part of said pack.

3. Our more advanced psyche as humans makes us want to strive for self improvement on both the physical and spriritual plane.

What he said (except, I always want to be the big shot in the pack :ultracool , so let me, OK?).

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That just about says it all...

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I always considered ourselves as kindred spirit in mental illness.:EG:

You got to admit we do have a different mentality than the general population.:)

-Marc-

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My wife wonders the same thing. I don't have an easy explanation for her and have told her so. On the other hand, she enjoys running 10-11 miles out in the country by herself. I can't figure that out. I love Tae Kwon Do, she loves running.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is it that makes Martial Arts so addicting to so many? Why do we put our body and minds though so much Hell and keep coming back for more of the same thing. I know somedays I wonder after a workout that is killing me that man am I stupid!!!! I know most will say it is just part of there life Like me, but was wondering does anybody really knows what brings us to the point of tearing our body and mind to pieces just to put it all back together again?

IMHO, when we really find something that we love to do, we will always put 100% into it. There are so many positive benefits that can be gained from training. They provide you with skills to defend yourself, the chance to meet new people, a better and healthier lifestyle, and a chance to give something back to others. These are just a few of the things.

I look forward to every class. The chance to workout, have a great time, learn and although you're physically exhausted by the end, it was all well worth it.

Mike

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I have seen many students come to train that feel unfullfilled in their careers and their lives. Training with us helps them to feel fulfilled. The fitness, the confidence, the friendships, and the visible recognition help to make them feel better about themselves.