What is Chi in plain language?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is pre-birth chi. ... KNOWLEDGE DESTROYS IGNORANCE.
This is why I have trouble with the word "is." When I look at this kind of thing, with its "ises" and "equals", I just see it as a lot of metaphor or representations and I'm fine with it.

Except the descriptions of magical abilities of sages. Not for me.

... but I'm part Irish, English & Australian, for what it's worth.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
After reading cloud dancing`s post I realize I must practice a lot more to master water walking trough chi. Either that or just get really fat so I can float.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is why I have trouble with the word "is." When I look at this kind of thing, with its "ises" and "equals", I just see it as a lot of metaphor or representations and I'm fine with it.

Except the descriptions of magical abilities of sages. Not for me.

... but I'm part Irish, English & Australian, for what it's worth.

Don't get me started on "is". I was in a meeting once where they were actually having a serious discussion about the political correctness of the placement of the word "is" on a webpage..... then it got to silly and I left the meeting.

Sorry for the derailment but that IS what I felt I had to do at this juncture

Last edited:

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey, if a thread's OP is banned, are we obligated to stay on topic? :D

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey, if a thread's OP is banned, are we obligated to stay on topic? :D

Didn't realize he got banned. Anyway I think he is the same guy who keeps spamming Yahoo Answers with similar questions about Tai Chi and Power etc.

cloud dancing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thanks Tez3.Xue Sheng et all.Glad when can contribute anything that adds to understanding or simply
opens minds to new ideas.I came to this forum for inspiration and help to keep my practise up.stupid me/made friends with someone not sane nor kind.Upset my training.
Tez 3-every time I read your quote-fighting opponent,demons o doubt,exhaustion,failures... unrelenting voice o doubt that tells me to stop.. know I will be VICTORIUS. Does gie me some inspiration. Hope.
Cirdan-What senses do we lack--- 42 years /Dec11 since gift of third eye opening.Still is worldinside that I daily reach for enter but frightens me.Requires letting go and just experiencing.In that world I have control only to make my daily effort. September 28th{hopefully} will again listen to ,be with Master Rawat in Putrajaya Malaysia.Spending $500 for 1 1/2 hours with one who's love is unequalled ,understands me bettre than I understand myself/showed me MY SELF/INNER SELF.Old saying "Blow in my ear and I'll follow you anywhere." Seems true,since "Holy Breath" in 1974 life's been diferent and have followed Prem Rawat across the USA/Europe and still have to make more more more effort to go inside and grow.
I'm not bragging but many of you humble me with years of training and experience in these arts waay beyond what I've done/learned.But inside,inside my HEART, I feel equal to most anyone. Light destroys darkness.Faith destroys fear. Knowledge destroys ignorance. Glad to be on this forum.I always need inspiration.Thankful for it when it's given.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
simplest definition based on translation, Qi is energy
simplest concept to understand; strong qi you are healthy, weak qi you are weak, no qi you are dead.

Things get to the west and we tend to spiritualize and romanticize things, sometimes based on translation errors.... it is not all that complicated
^^^^
My understanding of basic definition. Came over here to escape the "KIAI MASTER FAIL" T......................

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Psycho-Bio-electric energy. :)
Yeah, pretty much. I think that when you start digging to find out why stuff happens, when you get below mechanical, biological, electrical, chemical, atomic, subatomic mechanisms ... and you have to stop because you don't know what drives those mechanisms ... that's the thingie that some call "chi."

Now, can we manipulate chi without using other processes (e.g. biological, physiological)? That's another discussion. ;)

(BTW, a neurophysiologist might not want to include "psycho-" there, possibly working from an assumption that psychological mechanisms are biological in nature.)(I'm working on my B.Sc. in Psychology.)