What "God" Do You Worship?

melj7077

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I show up at a catholic church every Sunday because I love the ritual of the Roman Catholic faith.

But Buddhism makes a lot of sense too.

Of course I navigate this by remembering Joseph Campbell's lectures about dieties and how they are masks to what is really going on.

That of course leads me back to Plato and his Theory of Forms in which the true form of something exists in some other realm and occassionally impinges on this one.

But then again I think getting to stand on the edge of the Bifrost Bridge with the Norse Gods waiting for Ragnarok to begin is a great place for a kenpoist to be because then we get to go to Valhalla and talk about the fight.

But then Athena has always been a personal favorite of mine along with Kuan Yin and Mary Magdalene.

Meister Echart says that your image of god is your final obstruction.

And on Futurama that binary cloud was apretty cool god.

Damn this is fun!

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
I sent Lisa some rep points a couple days ago for catching my mis-spelling.

But that still doesn't make you a god.

Yeah, but the point i was making is that i'm the closest thing i will ever encounter to a god being that i don't believe in god. If i'm not not a god then as far as i'm concerned no god exists and that makes me happy because for me the idea of god is pretty redundant.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
Yeah, but the point i was making is that i'm the closest thing i will ever encounter to a god being that i don't believe in god. If i'm not not a god then as far as i'm concerned no god exists and that makes me happy because for me the idea of god is pretty redundant.
I haven't met you, but I'm pretty sure that you would not be the closest thing to a god that I've ever encountered.

I'm sure you can get the testimoninals of several people who do know you that will endorse the idea that you're the closest thing to a living god?

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
I haven't met you, but I'm pretty sure that you would not be the closest thing to a god that I've ever encountered.

So what? its about what i worship not what you think of what i worship. And based on the logic i used to arrive at the decision it would be more likely that i would expect you to worship yourself as opposed to finding god like qualities in myself for you to choose to worship. If you have a problem with my personal beliefs you don't have to adopt them and i never suggested that you did have to either. My initial intention was to put forward a light hearted injection to this thread whilst exclaiming some of my personal beliefs on god which do negate somewhat the initial post.

Ray said:
I'm sure you can get the testimoninals of several people who do know you that will endorse the idea that you're the closest thing to a living god?

If you are sure why are you asking the question? And again this statement proves you don't really follow the logic behind my beliefs because i don't expect anyone else to see me as god but i don't praise anything else as a god either. My belief therefore, doesn't need testimonials of others.

I hope that makes things clearer because otherwise i fear we will both be banging are heads against a wall rather than being communicative.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
So what? its about what i worship not what you think of what i worship. And based on the logic i used .. If you have a problem with my personal beliefs ...

... again this statement proves you don't really follow the logic behind my beliefs...

...I hope that makes things clearer because ...
Oh, I see, you were trying to be funny. Thanks for clearing that up for me...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
oh boy, this is gonna get all epistemological and confusing, good stuff :)

Ok, I am the closest thig I have ever encountered to a God as well, largely because I can not truly verify anyone elses existance 100%, but I can verify mine. Therefore as the only being I am sure exists, I am the closest being I have ever encountered to a God. (Descartes lead to fun stuff :D)

Unless... Existance is not a true trait of a God, in which case my existance makes me less like a God and I am not the closest thing to a God I have encountered because I exist, and things which do not really exist are actually closer...

Fun stuff this intro Philosophy stuff can be :)

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
Oh, I see, you were trying to be funny. Thanks for clearing that up for me...

Wow, this is crazy! I'm trying to be civil as you obviously took my initial statement the wrong way. Thats all.

I don't recall ever saying i was trying to be funny, so i don't know where you even got that from! Nice job!

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
oh boy, this is gonna get all epistemological and confusing, good stuff :)

Ok, I am the closest thig I have ever encountered to a God as well, largely because I can not truly verify anyone elses existance 100%, but I can verify mine. Therefore as the only being I am sure exists, I am the closest being I have ever encountered to a God. (Descartes lead to fun stuff :D)

Unless... Existance is not a true trait of a God, in which case my existance makes me less like a God and I am not the closest thing to a God I have encountered because I exist, and things which do not really exist are actually closer...

Fun stuff this intro Philosophy stuff can be :)

Thats pretty much the way i was seeing things also.

trav101

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
elder999 said:
Don't get me started-that movie was good at provoking conversation, but full of ridiculously bad science and metaphysical gobbledy-gook.

Sorry for reopening this old conversation... but "metaphysical gobbledy-gook" ???? Just because you don't understand metaphysics, which is a large philosophical school in most major universities, doesn't mean it is goobledy gook. It is no more goobledy gook that believing there is a man with a beard on a fluffy white cloud that is judging me. The major premise of that movie is comparing the subjectiveness to the objectiveness of the universe. If you do some research into modern, read "quantum" mechanics, and into philosophy, you'll see that this goobledy gook warrants some serious thought. Try reading Gary Zukav's book, The Dancing Wu Li Masters. Or maybe all reasoned intellect is goobledy gook as far as faith based intellect is concerned.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
trav101 said:
Sorry for reopening this old conversation... but "metaphysical gobbledy-gook" ???? Just because you don't understand metaphysics, which is a large philosophical school in most major universities, doesn't mean it is goobledy gook. It is no more goobledy gook that believing there is a man with a beard on a fluffy white cloud that is judging me. The major premise of that movie is comparing the subjectiveness to the objectiveness of the universe. If you do some research into modern, read "quantum" mechanics, and into philosophy, you'll see that this goobledy gook warrants some serious thought. Try reading Gary Zukav's book, The Dancing Wu Li Masters. Or maybe all reasoned intellect is goobledy gook as far as faith based intellect is concerned.
It's all an illusion anyway:ultracool. A couple other books to recommend, though:

The Quantum Power of Thought, by Grant Trevithick

The Disappearance of the Universe, by Gary Renard

trav101

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reading suggestion. Always looking for new thoughts on physics and philosophy. Gotta say though....love the "martial tucker" name, much more imaginative than I am!!!

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hers a thought for thoughs who may beleave in more then God.Lets say for laugh sake those of the names like Appalo ect were just like us.And just for laughs sake they had some extream amounts of Chi-ki ect.(this can coralate to the young Skywalker who was born with that of many Jedi powers.Ok now what if they went on a tangent & proclaimed gods.Now some may follow out of eagor to live like Imortals.Some follow blindly like they followed Karesh (Who proclaimed he was Christ).Now just for laughs sake -Just say there are some kind of beings (to us seeming magical or spiritual,due to the fact we are not evolved to that status)This can cooralate with some one who brings a tv to early Africa in say around 1912 or so.That person would apear to them as a god type.So If we pass on as we know it.Maybe just maybe -untill we all agree on total peace or total no existance ,It will become like a twilight zone episode.Keep looping (hence the after life or re-born type)So we do agree on total peace-or toatal non existance.Dose that then mean all is for ever or just untill some god or being thinks its time to do it all over again (Just for Laughs)

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I worship the God of Abraham; Jesus the Messiah.

I have studied other faiths in depth, from Buddhism to Daoism, but I am Christian. And not afraid to admit it.

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am Catholic, and I worship Jesus who is λόγος (Logos) The Word of God. Thought, speech, reason, principle, standard, logic.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will try to keep my answer short and to the point. I am an Independant, Fundemental Baptist. I worship God the Father, through Jesus Christ, His Son. I use only the KJV Bible and I attend Church twice every Sunday. I believe that the only way to heaven is to repent of being a sinner, understand that Jesus died on the cross for your sins, and ask Christ Jesus to forgive you for your sins. Plain and simple.

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
trav101 said:

Somehow I missed this.:rofl:
That's too funny...

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
elder999 said:
I was once at a party where the host asked me not to mention God. I’m not sure why I even showed up at their home. Today I wouldn’t, under those circumstances. At that party, guests used the “F” word, talked about nutrition, politics, hiking, their beach vacation homes, how difficult it is to get good help in Santa Fe, and various other topics, but no one mentioned the word “God”, except as part of a curse word. I suppose they felt comfortable mentioning God in their curses, but that’s another post for another day. This thread is about how I think that every person, whether they think so or not, has a God.

Before we go any further, I suppose I need to say that this culture has become quite simply, an open-air insane asylum. What’s even worse, the inmates are in charge. If you think things are bad, let me assure you that they’re much worse than you imagine, and will get worse than that! It’s not popular to point this out, as the prevailing mentality seems to be that everything is beautiful in its own way. You don’t believe me? Well, how would you describe a culture where the “F” word is perfectly acceptable, yet if you mention God, there’s something terribly wrong with you?

Everyone worships a God. For many people in early 21st Century America, it is the God of money, or materialism.
The question is, what "God" do you worship?

Excellent post.
I worship the Trinity (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit) and am very devout in the belief that the only way to Heaven is through the son (Jesus).

The thing that always amazes and saddens me about topics like this is the hatred and rancor that people show towards anyone who say they believe in one definite God (whichever that one may be).

Many (actually most) in today's American society harbor a very new age belief that whatever god one worships is fine and that individual will get his or her own personal heaven. That is poppycock. There is only one god. I am quite sure that my god is the right one, but regardless of which god is correct, there is only one.

Interestingly, I will get blasted from the "open minded people" who believe in many gods. They believe everyone can have their own god, but no one should ever come out and say that there is only one.

AoG

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
ArmorOfGod said:
Excellent post.
I worship the Trinity (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit) and am very devout in the belief that the only way to Heaven is through the son (Jesus).

The thing that always amazes and saddens me about topics like this is the hatred and rancor that people show towards anyone who say they believe in one definite God (whichever that one may be).

Many (actually most) in today's American society harbor a very new age belief that whatever god one worships is fine and that individual will get his or her own personal heaven. That is poppycock. There is only one god. I am quite sure that my god is the right one, but regardless of which god is correct, there is only one.

Interestingly, I will get blasted from the "open minded people" who believe in many gods. They believe everyone can have their own god, but no one should ever come out and say that there is only one.

AoG

From my signature:

"They are indeed still trapped in hell, as were their predecessors, but postmythic men and women have at least, and finally, thrown off their childish images of deity as a protective parent sniveling over their every move, listening to their every wish-fulfillment, catering to their every immortality project, dancing to their every prayer of magic. Postmythic men and women did not get thrown out of Eden; they grew up and walked out, and, in now assuming rational and personal responsibility for a measure of their own lives, stand preparatory for the next great transformation: the God within, not the Father without."

- Ken Wilber, A Sociable God: Toward a New Understanding of Religion

Laterz.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ArmorOfGod said:
Excellent post.

AoG

Well, you weren't blasted, but your point was made.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ArmorOfGod said:
There is only one god. I am quite sure that my god is the right one, but regardless of which god is correct, there is only one.

ArmorOfGod, this reply is not directed specifically to you, but, your quote is an effective beginning for this thought. Of course, you are included in these general thoughts.
One of the great, sad, challenges our world faces today, is that others are quite sure the god they worship is the 'right one'.

There is one faith in the world which has this profession of faith.
"There is no God, but God. And Mohammed is his Prophet."
Anyone claiming that God is Three, Father, Son, and Spirit, is blaspheming according to the most basic tenent of that, sibling, faith.

Is there a way to reconcile the followers of these two faiths?
Or are they each damned to believe the other is damned?
Are they each prescribed, by their faith, to convert the other?

I wish I was the first person to ask these questions. But I am only one in a line that goes back thousands of years, maybe longer.

Latest Discussions