What fiction book are you currently reading?

jaymo said:
i just finished reading the 11th book in the LS series and "the face" by dean koontz. i'm not sure what i'll read next. i'm in the mood to be scared. any suggestions?

I'd recommend "Writer of the Purple Rage" by Joe R. Lansdale.

Joe is good friends with Dean Koontz, btw. Their writing styles are very different but some of the stories in WotPR (it's an anthology of shorts) should have your flesh crawling some. Like "Drive-In Date" or "Steppin' Out, Summer '68". And, one of my all-time favorites, "In the Cold, Dark Time". And then there's others, like "Bubba Ho-Tep" (now a fantastic B rate movie starring Bruce Campell and Ossie Davis) and "Godzilla's 12 Step Program" are just plain funny in Joe's inimically twisted way :)

Joe's written a lot of other good stuff but he mostly writes crime/mystery these days. But WotPR is a very good collection with some of his old horror stuff. He's one the Bram Stoker award 4 times for his horror work - he's a *very* good author.

Mike

jaymo said:
i just finished reading the 11th book in the LS series and "the face" by dean koontz. i'm not sure what i'll read next. i'm in the mood to be scared. any suggestions?

Deathbird Stories by Harlan Ellison

Maybe scared isn't the right word, disturbed might be better.

Lamont

Just finished 'Gateways' by F. Paul Wilson.

Reading 'Hogfather' by Terry Pratchett

Cthulhu

Cthulhu said:

Cthulhu
I'm reading "Blackwood Farm" by Anne Rice. Is "Gateways" a continuation of a series or is it an hospital book?
Sean

Cthulhu said:

Cthulhu
Pratchett is so funny. I'm waiting to get his latest - I think it's Monstrous Regiment.

Reading "Thief of Time" by Pratchett now

Cthulhu

"Chance" by Robert Parker, another witty Spenser novel, fun but forgettable.

"Cloud of Sparrows" by Takashi Matsuoka, wow was I disappointed, I hate to say it, but Clavell is way better in showing eastern culture through western eyes, or for that matter eastern culture through eastern eyes.

"Damphir" by the Hendees, I liked the world creation, but the repeated fights between the same opponents got old. I liked that the heros are mortal and that someone actually put a falchion in a story.

Getting back into the Napoleanic wars era by reading "Rifleman Dodd" by CS Forester immediately followed by "Sharpe's Siege" by Cromwell.

Ah winter, when I actually have time to read.

Lamont

Last book I finished was The System of The World by Neal Stephenson.
Currently I am not reading anything but this list is giveing me some Ideas

Rading book 7 of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. It's the final installment and I've heard that it's to be his final book altogether. I love the series and I'm about 500 pages into the last book. It hasn't disappointed so far. As far as series go, I like The Lord of the Rings, of course, The Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, and this one the best. I've read the Orson Scott Card Maker series and Ender series, about 2/3 of the Wheel of Time, but I got tired of them looking for that stupid weather bowl for three books and quit the series, Death Gate Cycle (also quite good...a little different), first 6 Dragonlance, maybe a few others. I love the Dark Tower, though. It's cool because so many of his other books refer to it.

Re-reading "A Haunted Air", one of F. Paul Wilson's 'Repairman Jack' books. Great series and great character.

Cthulhu

Just finished The Phoenix Guards by Stephen Brust at about 5:30am with a bout of insomnia.

Now I want to go back and finish reading the series that he started with Jhereg. He's a fun author.

I was thinking of picking up the latest Tad Williams books, but the first trilogy I read that he wrote sucked me in so much, I'm hesitant.

Burst and Pratchatt first - Williams is not the same class IMHO

Return Engagement by Harry Turtledove and Star Bright! by Andrew Greeley. I guess I should start getting into the holiday spirit and Greeley's books are pretty good for that.

Finished The Phoenix Guards and then Five Hundred Years After, by S. Brust.... Now starting Cloud Atlas, I picked it up because it looks odd and interesting, and suppossedly is similar to Haruki Murakami's work, and he's a talented whacko (if a bit dark!), and I like his stuff a lot.I should be doing more science reading in my free time, but....

I'm currently re-reading The Ninja by Eric van Lustbader, for about the tenth time. I cant quite place it, but there is just something comfortable and familiar about it. Reading it is like slipping on an old pair of comfy slippers.

Finished the Rifleman by Forester and Sharpe's Siege by Cornwall.

Both very good, and sort of complementary, the Rifleman is about a seperated soldier from the 95th Rifles, and Sharpe is an ex-officer of the 95th. Good stuff, if you like Napoleonic wars settings.

The Shadow of Saganami by David Weber, a nice return to the single-ship space opera that made Weber famous. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this crew.

Rain Fall by Eisler, which was VERY good. An action-thriller set in modern day Japan. The city of Tokyo rang very true, and the description of the judo matches at the kodenkan were very nice. An interesting perspective on Japan, one that isn't seen very often. It looks like this is a series now, so I'm going to have to pick up the next one.

Starting Mirrorshades an older Cyberpunk anthology.

Lamont

Finished, Blood & gold, and now i am going back to finish up with dark ages vampire (ravnos) book 6. There are 13 book's in it so i will probably take another break and read some thing else, later. Mithios

Latest Discussions

Back