What fears have you conquered through MA?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am humbled by many of these responses. Lots of courage on display.
Well of course, but the kudos should go to MartialTalk itself. In many ways we're a family here, we have grown to know, honor, respect and trust one another to share in this manner, inspite of our individual backgrounds, choices of arts and other differences... we've found a lot of similarites and that helps sharing even easier.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well of course, but the kudos should go to MartialTalk itself. In many ways we're a family here, we have grown to know, honor, respect and trust one another to share in this manner, inspite of our individual backgrounds, choices of arts and other differences... we've found a lot of similarites and that helps sharing even easier.
Indeed. Good point.

Personally, I'd say that my primary fear was of remaining subservient to others. My confidence has grown exponentially through training. Honestly though, I hadn't, until this thread, considered it from the perspective of 'conquering a fear'. Instead, I had viewed it from the perspective of 'growing my confidence'. However, clearly, the fear was of remaining subservient. I simply got to a point where my mind was conflicted - I wanted to assert myself, but was afraid to do so.

It feels great to be free.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Indeed. Good point.

Personally, I'd say that my primary fear was of remaining subservient to others. My confidence has grown exponentially through training. Honestly though, I hadn't, until this thread, considered it from the perspective of 'conquering a fear'. Instead, I had viewed it from the perspective of 'growing my confidence'. However, clearly, the fear was of remaining subservient. I simply got to a point where my mind was conflicted - I wanted to assert myself, but was afraid to do so.

It feels great to be free.
Well fear is subservient in the way that it's your survival instinct warning you that you just-might-be-in-over-your-head sometimes... LOL

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes, all true and well said. MT is one of a kind, and the kinds of posts in this thread are hard to imagine on any board I've ever seen.

Still, MT didn't decide to share these stories. Some reflective, even courageous individuals did that. So kudos to MartialTalk for giving us the forum; and full salute to everyone who has posted a reply. Here's to hoping there are more.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a good thread and deserves re-reading...

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
when its live or die that I have the skills to make the intimidaters pay in blood and live if it comes to that. And better yet, cost them their lives if it comes to that.... I do NOT fight for fun! where I live if you fight your life is normally on the line!

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The fear of looking stupid during any sort of physical activity. I was always bad at sports, last kid picked, benchwarmer, even though I really liked to play sports and wanted to be good at one. Martial arts helped me develop things like coordination and a sense of my physical abilities at my own pace, which was often quite slow in the beginning.

And like others have said, it built confidence so I'm less fearful in general, especially when it comes to something like having to park in a parking garage in the city. I'm not totally free of fear but I at least have a tools to rely on if something happens.

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
This thread has lasted long enough (thanks, Cecei :)) so that now I can see my original fears in a new light. One of the underpinnings of my original post was, do I have the right stuff for the long haul? Being no kid anymore, there's a good chance that my little MA/Conflict Resolution/Rite of Passage for Teens club will be the ultimate legacy which I'll have the opportunity to leave behind. So, my MA teaching/practice/growth is heavily freighted--that is, it's only about me to the extent it helps kids. And now it seems we've been at this long enough and survived enough bumps, that I'll be able to overcome my fears sufficiently to make it keep working.

And I just wrote what I needed to hear, so thanks to everyone for contributing and helping me get to this point. I hope we hear from others about their journeys.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This thread has lasted long enough (thanks, Cecei :)) so that now I can see my original fears in a new light. One of the underpinnings of my original post was, do I have the right stuff for the long haul? Being no kid anymore, there's a good chance that my little MA/Conflict Resolution/Rite of Passage for Teens club will be the ultimate legacy which I'll have the opportunity to leave behind. So, my MA teaching/practice/growth is heavily freighted--that is, it's only about me to the extent it helps kids. And now it seems we've been at this long enough and survived enough bumps, that I'll be able to overcome my fears sufficiently to make it keep working.

And I just wrote what I needed to hear, so thanks to everyone for contributing and helping me get to this point. I hope we hear from others about their journeys.
Fears never go away... they just change their names.
You'll always have some fears, wouldn't be human if you didn't. Fear will sometimes kill you and fear will sometimes save your life. How you react to it, what you do with it, determines one of the two.
After I hit reply couple thoughts ran through my head. The acronym's of Fear: F*** Everything And Run, or Face Every Adversity Relentlessly.
I think the second one is best.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
conquered
i feel a little better at public speak and being in front of an audience. the mandatory tournaments helped me a little though its not entirely gone yet. still in progress

brought on
wondering if ill ever be somebody in the martial arts world. will i eve get first place in a tournament? will i ever be recognized for something i did? *sigh*

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Fear of being vulnerable and not being able to protect myself. Odd for a martial arts practitioner I know.

Latest Discussions