Disturbing Youth Violence MMA Generated.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Warning these video clips are pretty graphic MMA youth material.

Okay I am actually all for competitions and testing yourself. I enjoy
rolling and training alive so to speak. However competitors at
competitions generally have access to medical staff, etc. When these
backyard UFC's occur there is I imagine no supervision and these
kid's are at jeopardy. Keep an eye on your children.

[yt]S7xCKXc_x7U[/yt]

[yt]QFoZouc4Hcg[/yt]

For safeties sake do not participate in something that you could
get seriously injured at without proper supervision.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree 100% with you Brian. Things like this, is what gives the Martial Arts and more specifically MMA, a bad rep. The refs and rules in MMA events have fighter safety in mind. This is of course a good thing. Trained medical staff are also present to tend to injuries that happen. I have to wonder about the skill level of the people we see in clips like this. I also doubt that there are trained people on scene in these backyard fights, to tend to injuries.

Mike

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
These guys are way more skilled than the kids at the MMA school that I go to.

Remember 'Hulk Hogan' and when kids did 'wrestling' in backyard rings and it sent a lot of people to the hospital? (Maybe that shows my age LOL).

Maybe there was something to the karate dojo character building thing.

So everything about this being done in an environment without proper refereeing, medical attention, blood tests, etc., not withstanding, does it worry any of you that go to schools without that much contact that there are fairly skilled MMAists running around and kids trained in UFC style fighting? Makes your self defense job a little harder, yes?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So everything about this being done in an environment without proper refereeing, medical attention, blood tests, etc., not withstanding, does it worry any of you that go to schools without that much contact that there are fairly skilled MMAists running around and kids trained in UFC style fighting? Makes your self defense job a little harder, yes?

Well, I wouldn't go so far as saying that these people are skilled. I just took a look at the second clip and saw one kid who didn't have his hands up and was throwing some pathetic punches. I think it would be interesting to know the skill level of the participants. Are any of them currently training in a school with a qualified instructor or are these the types of people that watch a few Gracie instructional tapes and run out thinking their the next UFC champ?

As for the contact...thats not a training issue at my school. :) We have contact, realism and aliveness. :)

Mike

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't go so far as saying that these people are skilled. I just took a look at the second clip and saw one kid who didn't have his hands up and was throwing some pathetic punches. I think it would be interesting to know the skill level of the participants. Are any of them currently training in a school with a qualified instructor or are these the types of people that watch a few Gracie instructional tapes and run out thinking their the next UFC champ?

As for the contact...thats not a training issue at my school. :) We have contact, realism and aliveness. :)

Mike

These kids like I said are way better than the ones at the MMA school I go to, especially the 'state jujitsu champ' guy.

At any rate, I can't think of a school around here that would train to compete against these types of people except the MMA schools. The other schools wouldn't really stand a chance.

It's interesting you state your main style as kenpo, though. I didn't know kenpo trained with realism and aliveness. The schools around here do drills but not much sparring seems like.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I can say is why do we as a society give into backyard tactics.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
These kids like I said are way better than the ones at the MMA school I go to, especially the 'state jujitsu champ' guy.

Personally, one would think that they would find more out of entering a tournament rather than having their own event in the yard. To each is own I guess.

At any rate, I can't think of a school around here that would train to compete against these types of people except the MMA schools. The other schools wouldn't really stand a chance.

Well, at the risk of this thread taking the route of the my style vs. (insert other style here) threads, I'll choose my wording carefully. I'll simply say this. There are many schools out there. Its hard to tell how everyone trains. :)

It's interesting you state your main style as kenpo, though. I didn't know kenpo trained with realism and aliveness. The schools around here do drills but not much sparring seems like.

As I said above, there are many schools out there. People may look at a poor Kenpo school and assume that all Kenpo is like that. However, thats not the case. As for myself, yes, Kenpo is my base art, and I also cross train in Arnis and BJJ. One of the Black Belts at our school is a Purple belt in BJJ under Roy Harris. He's done quite a bit as far as adding in grappling aspects. As for the aliveness and realism....we do alot of sparring, including a padded suit. When we drill our techs. we start off slow, but by the end, those punches are coming at us, hard and fast. If we don't move or block, we're getting hit. In addition, its not just a static attack. In other words, the 'attacker' will throw other strikes, causing us to have no choice but to react.

Mike

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
Personally, one would think that they would find more out of entering a tournament rather than having their own event in the yard. To each is own I guess.

I'm not saying that what they are doing is right -- it's really foolish because they could get hurt without any medical attention. It's kindof obvious though that this is another fad, though, like wrestling was, and after the usual hurts and deaths it will probably go out of favor.

Well, at the risk of this thread taking the route of the my style vs. (insert other style here) threads, I'll choose my wording carefully. I'll simply say this. There are many schools out there. Its hard to tell how everyone trains. :)

If you visit a class or a few classes, they usually do their training while you are there, so I don't know why it would be hard to know how hard they train. From the schools I've gone to the only ones around here with 'hard' training seem to be the MMA schools. But I haven't visited all the schools around here.

As I said above, there are many schools out there. People may look at a poor Kenpo school and assume that all Kenpo is like that. However, thats not the case. As for myself, yes, Kenpo is my base art, and I also cross train in Arnis and BJJ. One of the Black Belts at our school is a Purple belt in BJJ under Roy Harris. He's done quite a bit as far as adding in grappling aspects. As for the aliveness and realism....we do alot of sparring, including a padded suit. When we drill our techs. we start off slow, but by the end, those punches are coming at us, hard and fast. If we don't move or block, we're getting hit. In addition, its not just a static attack. In other words, the 'attacker' will throw other strikes, causing us to have no choice but to react.

That's cool ... the kenpo schools I've gone to around here do mainly static drills and not a lot of sparring.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that what they are doing is right -- it's really foolish because they could get hurt without any medical attention. It's kindof obvious though that this is another fad, though, like wrestling was, and after the usual hurts and deaths it will probably go out of favor.

I just find it amazing that these people would want to risk their life or serious injury when there are events that they can enter. I'm sure if they were part of a school, the inst. would be able to guide them.

If you visit a class or a few classes, they usually do their training while you are there, so I don't know why it would be hard to know how hard they train. From the schools I've gone to the only ones around here with 'hard' training seem to be the MMA schools. But I haven't visited all the schools around here.

My appologies, let me clarify. What I meant was, someone could walk into a Kenpo school in California and watch a class. They are seeing how that particular school trains. Does that mean that the next school down the road trains the same way? No. What about a school in another state? No. People are looking at Kenpo school A, form their opinion and think that is how every Kenpo school in the world trains.

That's cool ... the kenpo schools I've gone to around here do mainly static drills and not a lot of sparring.

Unfortunately, those people are missing out on alot.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As another poster mentioned -- kids used to imitate WWF-style wrestlers. Today, they're imitating MMA fighters. They've slap-boxed, boxed outright, wrestled, and more...

Kids are going to be kids. Even if they're in their teens or early 20s. Hell, I'm sure that, after the movie came out, "Fight Clubs" were started.

I hope that nobody dies doing this -- but it's not going away. I hope that kids will at least be ready and willing to seek medical help when it's needed, as well.

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
My appologies, let me clarify. What I meant was, someone could walk into a Kenpo school in California and watch a class. They are seeing how that particular school trains. Does that mean that the next school down the road trains the same way? No. What about a school in another state? No. People are looking at Kenpo school A, form their opinion and think that is how every Kenpo school in the world trains.

Oh, yeah, that's why I qualified it with the "ones around here." I've never been to one that trains with much aliveness but I only checked out several different types. There was one in CA that I had some videos of that seemed to do a lot of sparring, much more than around here.

The local USSD I talked to said there wouldn't be any sparring for a year or more until he got some of his lower belts up a notch. Needless to say I didn't attend that school.

Unfortunately, those people are missing out on alot.

Well they won't be able to defend themselves in all likelihood from attack. Yes, that's a lot.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm with ussd, and in my dojo we start sparring the day we get our sparring gear.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
All I can say is why do we as a society give into backyard tactics.

I am with you on this Terry. This crap has got to stop. What ahppens when soemone with some sill gets involved and someone gets killed?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stupid kids. Somebody could get hurt or even killed. :mad:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Someone did get killed doing somthing like this. I posted a link to it in the study a couple months back.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well,

In the 70-80's it was the Junkyard Dog, Hulk Hogan etc., In the 90's it was Stone Cold Steve Austin and the Hardy Boys, Sting, Nature Boy.....on and on and on.

Backyard wrestling etc. etc. etc., The buds and I would box, with gloves and that sort of thing, for fun. Worked out more like a great cardio session than people getting hurt. I mean what kid didn't believe they couldn't box after watching Rocky?

Geez, I was having a little "Tournament" in the backyard once, dad came out and said "Everyone go home and do your homework." My buds were scattering like cock roaches when the lights came on.

However, this kind of thing is just stupid IMO. I don't care if it is kids, adults or anyone. It is just stupid.

Let it be known that in the Marines there were at least 3 brawls a day between a few guys, but no one ever got hurt. It was more of the "Ya, give? Say Uncle, kind of silliness."

For the love of god, if the kids in class get silly then GM has them run it off. We all have seen kids get restless in class, however.....it is nothing that a good dose of group poomsea and kicking can't fix.:erg:
icon12.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this an anti MMA thread? As others have said kids have done this sort of stuff probabably for ever! I imagine stone age kids were copying the adults hunting in whatever the equivalant of a backyard was. Of course it's sturpid! It's kids!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No this is not an anti MMA thread. What it is for is to make people aware of what some youth's are doing that is potentially very, very dangerous. There are plenty of avenues to compete other than a backyard get together with no supervision, medical personel, etc. You can probably find a MMA or Jiujitsu tournament almost every weekend here in the States. So really parent's need to be aware that this stuff is going on and that there have all ready been injuries up to including death as Cryozombie stated above in these types of events.

Latest Discussions