What exactly is.....

Seven

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dirty Boxing?

I'm very new to martial arts been trying to find the one I enjoy the most for the last couple months, I've recently came across an MMA gym that also teaches Muay Thai (which I will be going to check out sometime soon) it also mentions something about Dirty Boxing, now here is my question.

I've looked Dirty Boxing up on google and it says it's also known as Panantukan a filipino martial art but there's also many things that pop up about MMA too. Now can anyone tell me which is it? Or maybe they are both with the same name? I saw a youtube vid on Panantukan and liked the look f it very much. I would love to try it if it is that.

If it is something to do with MMA then how "dirty" can it be? I don't watch a lot of UFC or MMA but I know they have rules lol

Sorry if tis has been posted many times but when i search for it on the forum it just comes up with lots of threads with the word dirty or boxing in it and you can imagine how many there are of them lol

Thanks for any replies.

OP
Seven

Seven

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't understand your answer but ok lol

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What they usually mean by "dirty boxing" at a MMA gym is they are teaching striking from the clinch, and other stuff considered "dirty" under boxing rules, but not necessarily MMA rules. Not really a style per se, but almost. Kinda funny they would advertise it actually.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I may have rented that one once. LOL
Sean

Now I've... had... the fight of my liiiife.
icon10.gif

OP
Seven

Seven

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What they usually mean by "dirty boxing" at a MMA gym is they are teaching striking from the clinch, and other stuff considered "dirty" under boxing rules, but not necessarily MMA rules. Not really a style per se, but almost. Kinda funny they would advertise it actually.

Thanks.. that makes sense as it's an MMA gym. They teach the Muay Thai under a different instructor so I thought there's a possibility that it could be something other than MMA.

Thanks again mate.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dirty Boxing?

I'm very new to martial arts been trying to find the one I enjoy the most for the last couple months, I've recently came across an MMA gym that also teaches Muay Thai (which I will be going to check out sometime soon) it also mentions something about Dirty Boxing, now here is my question.

I've looked Dirty Boxing up on google and it says it's also known as Panantukan a filipino martial art but there's also many things that pop up about MMA too. Now can anyone tell me which is it? Or maybe they are both with the same name? I saw a youtube vid on Panantukan and liked the look f it very much. I would love to try it if it is that.

If it is something to do with MMA then how "dirty" can it be? I don't watch a lot of UFC or MMA but I know they have rules lol

Sorry if tis has been posted many times but when i search for it on the forum it just comes up with lots of threads with the word dirty or boxing in it and you can imagine how many there are of them lol

Thanks for any replies.

As has already been said, 'Dirty Boxing' refers to strikes considered foul in modern sport boxing. This includes striking from the clinch. It has been made popular through MMA, but many of the strikes were likely part of earlier boxing incarnations prior to the current rules sport boxing operates under.

derobec

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As has already been said, 'Dirty Boxing' refers to strikes considered foul in modern sport boxing. This includes striking from the clinch. It has been made popular through MMA, but many of the strikes were likely part of earlier boxing incarnations prior to the current rules sport boxing operates under.

Hi,

Just as an aside for one moment

"CLINCHING: It is not my intention to give any hints on this particular 'art' because I am of the opinion that 'clinching' ought not to be allowed in Boxing at all, although, at the same time, I am quite aware of it's advantages, as well as those of wrestling and even kicking..........The American....are the worst sinners; so much so, that in America the referee is obliged to walk about inside the ropes for the purpose of forcing the men apart".

Capt.W.Edgeworth-Johnstone, Boxing the Modern System of Glove Fighting, 1896.

All the Best,
William

Latest Discussions