What does it mean to be a martial artist?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
come on, now. I said, I take that back... and then I said, "there is, but it's often not what people think." I shared some links that provide further explanation.
Okay, I missed that part.

(I'm still blaming it on the Bushmill's, though it's probably just me going to fast, trying to catch up.)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't teach aikido from watching vodeos and then getting together with my friends and training mabye doing a few seminars.

I need some sort of real external reference point.

In that context there is no application in the dojo.

20 years of drop bear Aikido will not ever be Aikido untill I do Aikido with a real guy.
Okay, but that's not equivalent. You're comparing a specific set of principles and moves to virtually anything that can be used to defend oneself from a physical attack. False equivalence.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, but that's not equivalent. You're comparing a specific set of principles and moves to virtually anything that can be used to defend oneself from a physical attack. False equivalence.

Well not virtually anything. You really should know the specific principles of what you are training for.

If you decided to train up some guys for an MMA fight. That doesn't really have specific principles.

Knowing something about the subject first hand is going to help though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well not virtually anything. You really should know the specific principles of what you are training for.

If you decided to train up some guys for an MMA fight. That doesn't really have specific principles.

Knowing something about the subject first hand is going to help though.
Agreed on that last point. But "knowing something about" self-defense doesn't require hundreds of personal encounters. If if did, nobody who didn't have them would be able to deliver anything effective for that context, and you and agree that MMA training is one effective preparation for that context. Training people for self-defense requires an understanding of attacks, perhaps a touch of psychology (especially physiological), and some skill in a system that provides techniques that will work against those attacks. Validation of that effectiveness should come from a range of sources, including hard sparring/randori, what works in sporting context, whatever video evidence exists, and reports from first-person usage of the techniques and principles. There are probably sources I'm leaving out.

Now, is it helpful if the person teaching has direct experience using the techniques a lot in a defensive context? I suppose. The problem is that I literally know of nobody who has that level of experience in any given art (there surely are some, but I don't know them), outside LEO and folks like bouncers (who have a different objective/purpose/focus than straight self-defense).

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Agreed on that last point. But "knowing something about" self-defense doesn't require hundreds of personal encounters. If if did, nobody who didn't have them would be able to deliver anything effective for that context, and you and agree that MMA training is one effective preparation for that context. Training people for self-defense requires an understanding of attacks, perhaps a touch of psychology (especially physiological), and some skill in a system that provides techniques that will work against those attacks. Validation of that effectiveness should come from a range of sources, including hard sparring/randori, what works in sporting context, whatever video evidence exists, and reports from first-person usage of the techniques and principles. There are probably sources I'm leaving out.

Now, is it helpful if the person teaching has direct experience using the techniques a lot in a defensive context? I suppose. The problem is that I literally know of nobody who has that level of experience in any given art (there surely are some, but I don't know them), outside LEO and folks like bouncers (who have a different objective/purpose/focus than straight self-defense).
Well, I disagree, but if you want to learn more about why, read through those other threads. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I disagree, but if you want to learn more about why, read through those other threads. I'd be interested in your thoughts.
I should have some time this afternoon to dig back through those and respond, Steve.

Latest Discussions