What does it mean if someone "can fight" or "can't fight"?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thatā€™s a complete rewording and rephrasing of what was said.

I read it and assumed bad grammar. You read it and completely reworded/rephrased it.
It's not an issue about bad grammer. If anything is more about having previous conversations with Kung Fu Wang to get a good idea of the context in what he's saying. The problem with writing in forums is that we all read with our own bias and assumptions about what the other is saying and it takes a few more posts to understand what they are saying.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Great harm is not the same as grave harm. Which is why I didn't use it. The harm that someone does can be great regardless of the intent.

If someone punches you, kicks you, slams you, as hard as they can then they are trying to do great harm to you. The question of "did it actually harm you" is a different thing. But what remains consistent is there effort and intention to hurt you with their full force. Grave harm is not defined as this which is.

I don't think anyone here has said that "every physical altercation is a life and death situation." I've know some assumptions have been made about kung fu wang said. But the fact that you "Keeping it in the back of your mind" pretty much validates what I think Wangs Teacher was saying.

If a person gets into an argument then, then understand that the argument can turn into a fight.
If a person gets into an fight then understand that the fight can turn into a life and death situation.
If a fight turns into a life and death situation then understand that it could be due to someone pulling a weapon out on you.
If someone pulls a weapon on you then you may be in a situation where you need to "draw blood."
If you do not "draw blood" then you may die. If you do "draw blood" then you may die. If you are not willing to take things to this level then try to end it before it gets to this level.

We never know what the other guy is going to try to do to us are how they will try to harm us. We also don't know if the great harm is going to come as a fight or if that harm is going to skip the physical fight and turn into a shooting.

Something to think about.
Potential is all that matters legally. Someone swings a bat at you it has reasonable potential to cause grave harm regardless of the actual outcome, and thus deadly force can be used.

Slamming someone on concrete has a reasonable potential to cause grave harm as well.

What exactly do you call ā€œgreat harmā€ then? If it doesnā€™t result in a hospital visit I have a hard time calling it great harm. If it does result in a legitimate hospital visit 99% chance it classifies as grave harm.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't see the difference between these 2.

- If in fighting, you will need to ...
- In fighting, if you will need to ...

For example,

- If in your life, you will need to make a decision ...
- In your life, if you will need to make a decision ...

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Potential is all that matters legally. Someone swings a bat at you it has reasonable potential to cause grave harm regardless of the actual outcome, and thus deadly force can be used.

Slamming someone on concrete has a reasonable potential to cause grave harm as well.

What exactly do you call ā€œgreat harmā€ then? If it doesnā€™t result in a hospital visit I have a hard time calling it great harm. If it does result in a legitimate hospital visit 99% chance it classifies as grave harm.
You can be seriously injured without having to go to the hospital. It happens all the time. I could punch you in the face as hard as I can but that doesn't mean you automatically will need to go to the hospital. What it does mean is that I tried to harm you greatly. Like knock you out. Like I said before the end result is something difficult. Maybe my efforts to cause great harm fails because you have a solid chin. But that doesn't mean I didn't try to knock you out with all my might.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

For the most part I don't care about the legalities of fighting. None of that matters if I'm laying in my own blood dead. Catching the person who stabbed me doesn't bring me back to life.

People have this assumption that they would go to jail and are willing to risk that. Very few get into a fight thinking that it may result in their death. Nothing in the law matters to the dead person.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
You can be seriously injured without having to go to the hospital. It happens all the time. I could punch you in the face as hard as I can but that doesn't mean you automatically will need to go to the hospital. What it does mean is that I tried to harm you greatly. Like knock you out. Like I said before the end result is something difficult. Maybe my efforts to cause great harm fails because you have a solid chin. But that doesn't mean I didn't try to knock you out with all my might.
Again, getting punched in the face as hard as you can isnā€™t what Iā€™d call great harm.
Knocking someone out is classified as grave harm, and someone who was knocked out should result in a trip to the emergency room to have the person who was knocked out checked for a concussion.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
For the most part I don't care about the legalities of fighting. None of that matters if I'm laying in my own blood dead. Catching the person who stabbed me doesn't bring me back to life.

People have this assumption that they would go to jail and are willing to risk that. Very few get into a fight thinking that it may result in their death. Nothing in the law matters to the dead person.
Again the false dichotomy.
Youā€™re more likely to go overboard ā€˜defendingā€™ yourself and end up in jail with your mindset, than you are to end up dead with my mindset.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Again, getting punched in the face as hard as you can isnā€™t what Iā€™d call great harm.
Knocking someone out is classified as grave harm, and someone who was knocked out should result in a trip to the emergency room to have the person who was knocked out checked for a concussion.

Again the false dichotomy.
Youā€™re more likely to go overboard ā€˜defendingā€™ yourself and end up in jail with your mindset, than you are to end up dead with my mindset.
I don't know your mindset on the issue. But I do know of many cases of people getting into fights and arguments that turn into more than what thought it would be.

My mindset is probably very centered and reliable. Don't get into a fight unless you are willing to accept that things will go bad to the point where you may have to draw blood or that it may cost your life. If you are fine with that then have at it. If you determine that the argument isn't worth the price then get out of the argument or conflict at the next exit

OLD DOG NEW TRICKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to leave this fairly open-ended. What is it that you look for to determine if someone "can fight" or "can't fight"? What is the threshold that must be crossed before someone can be deemed able to fight?
What a great question. Everyone will have a different opinion for sure. My opinion would be that a person can fight when they have the heart and physical ability to fight with confidence and no fear. I have trained with many high ranking martial artists who had no confidence in their abilities and had fear in their eyes. These people will have less chance of defending themselves as a confident and fearless practitioner in a real fight scenario. Again just my humble opinion. Real life situations are very helpful as long as you survive long enough to learn.

Latest Discussions